John Schmidt 626 video Nov. 21 - semi-public (tickets required) viewing

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is table shaving a real thing?

Yes it is -- and I say this only to answer your question with no allusions to any particular table.

A table slate can be sanded down so that any ball approaching a pocket zone will be introduced to a downward slope that will accelerate the speed of the ball make it more likely to drop.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it is -- and I say this only to answer your question with no allusions to any particular table.

A table slate can be sanded down so that any ball approaching a pocket zone will be introduced to a downward slope that will accelerate the speed of the ball make it more likely to drop.

Lou Figueroa

And the pocked sucking balls in doesn't have to play like that coz of any nefarious efforts.

Many antique tables have slate pocket cuts that aren't 90deg. I've played on some that would pull a ball traveling down the side rail right into the side pocket.

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
If a showing comes to my area, I'd try to get more details about the event. If it'll be comfortable, have good video and sound, and some people I'd like to meet will be there, I'd probably go.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Is table shaving a real thing?
What does this have to do with the post you quoted?

This is just another variation of the endless game of "have you stopped beating your wife?" that is going on here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
BTW, isn't this detective the same person whom had earlier offered to match CSI's $10,000 offer to anyone who matched or broke Mosconi's 526. Maybe JS should be collecting big bucks from these, or maybe they were just kidding.

Yooo. I think you may be purposely being obtuse about the various 10k offers. I haven’t read about bobert’s but I did see something about jay h. There were stipulations, rights to the DVD etc involved. I doubt either one left a random 10k hanging out there for anyone to come claim after the fact.

I've been too busy.

Looks like the record could’ve been broken back in twenty oh fifteen if SOMEONE hadn’t been so laze

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of this being a positive reflection of the pool world, it's turned into a meaningless embarrassment, IMO. Sad, he could have been somebody, maybe even a contender. :sorry:

The only thing embarrassing is the typical nit’s on this forum who can barely run 30 putting down a guy who ran 626.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For someone so tied to scientific proofs you roll over pretty easily on someone's say so.
I'm just not questioning the accomplishment until there's actual reason to question it. Does your definition of "rolled over" include doing that to Schmidt with nothing but your unfounded speculation?

pj
chgo

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Instead of this being a positive reflection of the pool world, it's turned into a meaningless embarrassment, IMO. Sad, he could have been somebody, maybe even a contender.

The only thing embarrassing is the typical nit’s on this forum who can barely run 30 putting down a guy who ran 626.

This discussion is about the handling of JS's run, not his person/ personality. This is an open forum and there are no sacred cows or ball running requirements for participation.

I believe that JS's run has been a total incompetent disaster; from the set-up and methods used, the lack of professional documentation and video, the release delay, and the delusional monetization ideas being discussed.

If you disagree, post your rational arguments. Name calling accomplishes nothing, but tells much.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Nit picking
The Nit is the standard unit of luminance used to describe various sources of light. A higher rating means a brighter display.
It actually has more meanings than that,

The egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect, especially the egg of a head louse attached to a human hair.

But I bet you knew that....never mind I don't gamble>>>>>=Nit

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
If that hi run challenge was still in place, and johan Schmidt did it there then he’d probably have gotten some cashish. More than whatever he got from predator. He just said “a big bonus” if he makes it. Don’t remember where I read it

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just not questioning the accomplishment until there's actual reason to question it. Does your definition of "rolled over" include doing that to Schmidt with nothing but your unfounded speculation?

pj
chgo

So by that standard I'm sure you'd be comfortable with someone claiming that little green men landed on their front lawn, right?

I mean, if they're good God fearing American citizens and not wearing tin foil hats there would be no reason to question their claim.

And what exactly have I speculated about? What I've done is to say he probably did it but that I'd like to see an unedited video. Tell me what is unreasonable about that, given the claim of having broken a long standing record?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm just not questioning the accomplishment until there's actual reason to question it.
So by that standard I'm sure you'd be comfortable with someone claiming that little green men landed on their front lawn, right?
A world class straight pool player beating a well known straight pool record - on video with witnesses - gets as much face value credence from you as little green men, huh? You're a tough audience.

pj
chgo

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what exactly have I speculated about? What I've done is to say he probably did it but that I'd like to see an unedited video. Tell me what is unreasonable about that, given the claim of having broken a long standing record?

Lou Figueroa

What's unreasonable is that you wouldn't be doing that if you didn't hate JS and have such a hard on for Mosconi.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A world class straight pool player beating a well known straight pool record - on video with witnesses - gets as much face value credence from you as little green men, huh? You're a tough audience.

pj
chgo

What video?

Have you seen it?

And who are you to discredit the little green men out of hand? I guess having a reason to question something is on a sliding scale for you, huh?

Lou Figueroa

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 Hi-Run Challenge at BCAPL - 05-13-2011, 02:12 PM

We opened up the booth yesterday afternoon and got real busy.

No good runs. Great location in the middle of the front ballroom.

2 - 9' Diamonds. Both tables have a camera and monitor on them so everyone can see.

I think the high run was 59 - and total of 122 (4 attempts) by Jesse Engle.

More to come - maybe some pics can be posted - it is a good setup.

Mark Griffin

BTW: Bob Jewett pledged $10,000 if anyone ties or beats Mosconi 526. CSI matched it so it stands at $20,000 bonus. Highly unlike;y and maybe next year we can get this up to at least $50,000. Eight years allows for a lot of change. Some good, some bad. The game changed so much that people were trying anything to get some offense into 14.1 Straight Pool, such as allowing for an opening break with ball-in-hand from anywhere on a pool table. JS took the opening to advance the record and set out upon making it happen. He set his own format to attempt the record, expecting great monetary gain from a successful accomplishment. The end result of the monetary gain is still in doubt. Good Luck with that.

Not sure what you're trying to prove here. Sounds to me like the money being offered at the time was if anyone beat or tied the record at that specific 14.1 High Run challenge.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually no, Jon. The money from Bob and Mark was extended for several years, and got added into an even larger fund that totaled $100K. The hitch was that it had to be done on a specific table in a private home in TX (absolute premium table, that I've played on, btw). The host was to provide video recording capability, and I'm guessing would get to decide what to do with the video. For whatever reason JS either decided to go a different route...or the offer was withdrawn by the host. Either way JS beat the record soundly, and enough people will likely get to see it, to make the haters go away. How much compensation he ends up with remains to be seen. I hope he makes a ton of money. No matter what, he's in the history books forever!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Not sure what you're trying to prove here. Sounds to me like the money being offered at the time was if anyone beat or tied the record at that specific 14.1 High Run challenge.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I mean, if they're good God fearing American citizens and not wearing tin foil hats there would be no reason to question their claim.

Lou Figueroa

Little green men landed on my lawn today and I can't get rid of them. They are outside now, running all around my house, yelling my name (How did they know?). I called the police and told them little green men had me surrounded and they laughed at me.

I've got an idea. I'll see if any of them want to play pool. That should scare them off! :nanner:

Last edited: