Straight pool rule question

Quatsch83

Learner
Silver Member
Player A scratches so player B has cueball in hand in the kitchen.

Can player B take an intentional foul by placing the cueball in the jaw of one of the corner pockets in the kitchen and just tapping it so that player A would be hooked on the nub of the pocket?

Seems to me this is contrary to the spirit of the rules, but would it be illegal? If so what would happen if B did that?

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick answer, NO.

I believe it is an "unsportsmanlike" or worst. Cue ball must cross the line for a legal foul.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I haven't played it in a while and been itchin, reading this thread, I gotta go play me some straight pool this weekend

Quatsch83

Learner
Silver Member
For those that mentioned unsportsmanlike conduct (which, I agree with you on by the way), why aren't all intentional fouls unsportsmanlike conduct?

Is there a hard and fast way to determine this as unsportsmanlike, or is it more subjective?

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game.

I think all fouls should lead to ball in hand. Behind head string thing seems passe. But in ball in hand the cue ball must contact an object ball in order to start the safety.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think all fouls should lead to ball in hand. Behind head string thing seems passe. But in ball in hand the cue ball must contact an object ball in order to start the safety.

Please don't bastardize straight pool. None of you guys play it anyway, so please leave the purest form of pool pure for those of us who appreciate it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
4.9 Standard Fouls
If the shooter commits a standard foul, a point is subtracted from his score, balls are spotted as necessary, and play passes to his opponent. The cue ball remains in position except as noted below.

The following are standard fouls at 14.1:

6.1 Cue Ball Scratch or off the Table The cue ball is in hand behind the head string (see 1.5 Cue Ball in Hand).

there it is from wpa

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can player B take an intentional foul by placing the cueball in the jaw of one of the corner pockets in the kitchen and just tapping it so that player A would be hooked on the nub of the pocket?

---> YES

Seems to me this is contrary to the spirit of the rules, but would it be illegal? If so what would happen if B did that?

---> Not "illegal", but a foul/scratch, now its player A's turn from there

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would just be a foul by player B and he would now be on one foul as well. There are plenty of times in a game of 14.1 that you take an intentional foul. It is not regarded as unsportsmanlike in the circles I hang with.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Although very dated, here is the rule for Cue Ball in Hand: The cue ball is in hand at the beginning of the game, also when forced off the table or pocketed, and when for any reason fifteen balls are framed (except as superseded by the following "interference" rules). The cue ball remains in hand until the player drives it from within the head string to an object between the head string and the foot of the table. When cue ball winds up in rack at end of frame and object ball is on head spot or interferes with head spot, cue ball should be placed on head spot and object ball is placed on spot in center of table.

(Sounds like Player B must drive the cue ball past the head string, and complete a legal safety, or pocket a ball.)

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here, so:

1. Kitchens are for cooking - If incoming player has ball in hand(ie in Balk) there is a
specific requirement that he MUST shoot the cueball Out of Balk<past the headstring>

2. Intentionally not complying with number 1 above, is unsportmanslike conduct.

Dale

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Now you all are making me doubt myself. I always thought that when you had ball in hand behind the headstring, you could not put the ball in the jaw of the pocket and just push it. Whenever I played the rule was always that you had to shoot the cueball over the headstring, even when taking an intentional. The common shot was to play the cueball almost paralell with the headstring with a lot of sidespin into the side rail, causing the ball to go back into the kitchen, hit the other side rail and then freeze on the short rail.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=121&pagetype=rules#6.11

6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This came into question in a one-pocket game and the players that should know, said it is loss of game, being an intentional illegal strike on the cue ball.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=121&pagetype=rules#6.11

6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String

Under this rule the object ball can be barely in the kitchen and the cue ball can barely cross the line and still hit that object ball. This is a good hit if a rail is contacted after the balls contact each other.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under this rule the object ball can be barely in the kitchen and the cue ball can barely cross the line and still hit that object ball. This is a good hit if a rail is contacted after the balls contact each other.

Ughhhh... no.

An Object Ball that is in Balk - did I mention the kitchen is where one cooks -
is IN BALK, full stop. If the CB does not contact another OB or a rail past the headstring first,
the shot is a foul.

Dale