Smoking and Pool Halls

The-Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go somewhere else, I am sure if it is enough money in the tournament you will all of a sudden have no issue with it. :grin:

I actually quit playing really good regional events because I didn't enjoy the smoke. Maybe I'm in the minority.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also don't think that individuals would actually stop going to pool halls just because they couldn't smoke inside. Especially if these establishments provided a nice outside area for smokers.

A lot of rooms closed because of no smoking policies. Each owner can and should be able to control his own business. However I quit in 1989 ...was a 2-3 pack a day guy. There was nothing like a Marlboro after dinner and before and during and on the way home and the middle of night. I really liked the GoldCrown 2 with ashtrays and having one going in each corner....but let's move on........
Sorry to HiJack but FK cigarettes. Lung Cancer killed my brother at 55 leaving his 13 yo fatherless. It a fk'n joke until you get diagnosed...at that point you bought it. Send me hate mail and death threats but please give quitting some thought. Do it for the ones that love you because you're too blind and foolish to realize you will be missed by them. You are needed here in good health. I'm trying to convince a current player to give it up. Maybe it does not occur to you but I give a fk about you.

Smoking pool rooms are not for me. I simply go somewhere else.

Last edited:

The-Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of rooms closed because of no smoking policies. Each owner can and should be able to control his own business. However I quit in 1989 ...was a 2-3 pack a day guy. There was nothing like a Marlboro after dinner and before and during and on the way home and the middle of night. I really liked the GoldCrown 2 with ashtrays and having one going in each corner....but let's move on........
Sorry to HiJack but FK cigarettes. Lung Cancer killed my brother at 55 leaving his 13 yo fatherless. It a fk'n joke until you get diagnosed...at that point you bought it. Send me hate mail and death threats but please give quitting some thought. Do it for the ones that love you because you're too blind and foolish to realize you will be missed by them. You are needed here in good health. I'm trying to convince a current player to give it up. Maybe it does not occur to you but I give a fk about you.

Smoking pool rooms are not for me. I simply go somewhere else.

If laws forced all pool halls to ban smoking..... I don't understand why the establishments would lose business etc... I doubt very seriously that individuals who smoke would simply stop playing pool..

Also... Very Sorry to hear about your brother! My father in Law smoked his entire life and died of lung cancer.. Very sad to watch!

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as for non-smokers thinking they have a right....i don't think it's as much that. people don't look positively on smoking anymore largely due to the fact that...your decision to smoke in public affects other folks health. their decision not to smoke doesn't affect yours. i just tend to personally avoid places with heavy concentration of smokers (don't play in a very large local tournament very often because it's a room that allows smoking.). moreso because after being in there for a period of time, i get a pounding headache from said smoke. i'll deal with it occasionally, but i wouldn't shoot there on the regular for sure.
it is what it is, though. it's a discussion that will likely be ongoing forever...and probably won't ever have a solution that makes everyone happy.

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what they claim, but who's to know the real reason a business fails?

yeah...i'd say typically there are underlying issues there too. if you're a good business person you can come up with a way to get your customers back. especially if it was a law and something out of your control.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the real problem is when the law draws a distinction between businesses (like okay in bars but not restaurants or pool halls) or it is illegal in some areas but not others.

Pool halls have survived in Ontario, NY and California. I'm sure some of have closed, but they have survived by and large. There are lots of other things that impact a hall's survival, including management and local issues and also macro issues - the economy, new competition for people's entertainment or gambling dollar, etc.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also... Very Sorry to hear about your brother! My father in Law smoked his entire life and died of lung cancer.. Very sad to watch!
Sadly but here's how I remember my brother. The last time I saw him he was collapsed on there floor with the oxygen thing in his face, an IV in his arm. His body looked like shit. Lost a lot of weight. The last few weeks of his life he looked like a dead man walking. People that smoke can save a lot of money by not having health insurance...because when they get cancer the treatment will only prolong their agony.
But yes to smoke laws killing business. I was in a room in Hamliton NJ...mostly young smokers enjoyed cigs while playing. The laws were passed. The next time I went they were empty...the owner said it definitely effected his business. A few weeks later they were closed. Gone.

The law did effect a lot of pool rooms. But the creative ones survived. Some were doomed regardless.
Funny how it never effects a bar hehe.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
You could move to Colorado. We don't allow smoking in any establishment unless tobacco is at least 45% of your revenue.

All the Pool halls here are smoke free except one.

So smoking is banned, but your state allows pot. Little wonder your state is ****ed up.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm one of those idiots that still smokes.

YOU... lay them down. Now. Do it for your family. I know a few people that thought only other people get lung cancer. And Oh I can't stop. They stopped alright. Stopped smoking and everything else. It's less painful to stop smoking than to suffer dying from cancer. You can do it. You fk'n better do it. Not a joke. Live longer...play pool longer. Stop for one day and you got it made. After you stop for 1 day...do it for one more day. And so on...after a short time the urges go away and it's one day at time after that. Stop now...once you get diagnosed that's it. You do not get a warning. You do not get another chance. But you have to chase it away. It does not leave on it's own. You can do it man.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
most of the pool players smoked in the past. almost all of them died in their 60's or got extremely sickly.
the list is long with only a few lasting into real old age and most of those gave it up in time or didnt smoke.
when people are young they say i dont want to live old, or when you have to go you have to go.
up until they get cancer and then they say, save me. but its too late for them.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
most of the pool players smoked in the past. almost all of them died in their 60's or got extremely sickly.
the list is long with only a few lasting into real old age and most of those gave it up in time or didnt smoke.
when people are young they say i dont want to live old, or when you have to go you have to go.
up until they get cancer and then they say, save me. but its too late for them.

And who do they sue. Sue themselves. Thanks for your post. Friends don't blow smoke up each others ass. They lean on each other to quit.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YOU... lay them down. Now. Do it for your family. I know a few people that thought only other people get lung cancer. And Oh I can't stop. They stopped alright. Stopped smoking and everything else. It's less painful to stop smoking than to suffer dying from cancer. You can do it. You fk'n better do it. Not a joke. Live longer...play pool longer. Stop for one day and you got it made. After you stop for 1 day...do it for one more day. And so on...after a short time the urges go away and it's one day at time after that. Stop now...once you get diagnosed that's it. You do not get a warning. You do not get another chance. But you have to chase it away. It does not leave on it's own. You can do it man.

Spoken like a true non-smoker!..I have been a heavy smoker all my life, (I will be 83 this month) but I have always tried to be considerate of non-smokers in my everyday life..If I am playing pool with an avid non-smoker, I have no problem with doing my puffing a few tables away, or even the inconvenience of going outside!..I must say, this has rarely been reciprocated.. Almost all non-smokers feel they are so justified in their reasoning, they can be quite overbearing in their demands!

Health considerations aside, it is rarely conceded how much it can adversely effect a smokers game, not to be able to enjoy his accustomed pleasure, be it wrong or right!..In fact, heavy smokers such as Grady Mathews, (or myself) were often forced to concede that issue, when an avid non-smoker demands there will be no smoking at the table!

Anyone who has regularly frequented any pool room, to gamble at pool, knows full well that all the negatives about smoking should have been conceded when they entered a room, where usually well over 50% of the occupants were smokers!.. In other words.."When in Rome..etc."!..If the 'Surgeon General' wants to dictate my playing conditions, he should be willing to stake my game! ;)

PS..Whats next?..I can't have an aspirin for my headache, or a drink to calm my nerves?...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
camp fire smoke is indeed very bad. much more than a cig. but you dont sit and breath it for a lifetime. just a couple hours once in a while.
all smoke is very unhealthy. it is just how bad and fast you want to die.
and every time you smoke near someone especially a kid you are doing that person harm.

and that is why non smokers are so hard on smokers.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
camp fire smoke is indeed very bad. much more than a cig. but you dont sit and breath it for a lifetime. just a couple hours once in a while.
all smoke is very unhealthy. it is just how bad and fast you want to die.
and every time you smoke near someone especially a kid you are doing that person harm.

and that is why non smokers are so hard on smokers.

Exactly! And who the f#&% plays pool next to a campfire - stupidest post of the year contender?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I quit playing completly for 3+ years because of smoking - have no interest in speeding towards the grave or smelling like shit the rest of the day/night.
Most smokers are the most inconsiderate people I know - they don't care about anybody else's health, the nasty smell, they throw the butts on the ground/sidewalks etc. Too early to get worked up by a group of people I never spend time with other than the rare exceptions(Philly for example) who are courteous. :)
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Btw, there are more arguments about this than politics and religion combined.....should be fun