Old Diamond Pockets and Black marks on Balls.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Old Diamond Pockets and Black marks on Balls.

Did anyone figure out how to stop this? Other than replacing the pockets.

I recovered the table today(3rd time ever in 18 years) and the pockets are in MINT condition.

As we all know they are not cheap to replace, just trying to come up with something for the customer. Maybe Scotch Guard them? A clear coat of some sort?

Any ideas / info is appreciated.

TFT

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Trent I've tried about everything imaginable. The tables are 10 years old and while not as pronounced, they still mark the balls.
Just Thursday I vac'd the tables, wet wiped, X-1'd, changed the spots, and ran the balls through the Diamond(just alcohol Windex). After just a few games some of the balls were marked and these tables have had significant play. I was told to clean the leather well with alcohol and put black duct tape on the inside of the pocket were a shot ball will make contact. I'll just keep cleaning the balls. Brian.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Trent I've tried about everything imaginable. The tables are 10 years old and while not as pronounced, they still mark the balls.
Just Thursday I vac'd the tables, wet wiped, X-1'd, changed the spots, and ran the balls through the Diamond(just alcohol Windex). After just a few games some of the balls were marked and these tables have had significant play. I was told to clean the leather well with alcohol and put black duct tape on the inside of the pocket were a shot ball will make contact. I'll just keep cleaning the balls. Brian.

I figured this was gonna be most peoples input, but, I figured I would at least ask for my client. He has some ideas on coating them and at this point it can't hurt anything. Replacing them is the best option.

TFT

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figured this was gonna be most peoples input, but, I figured I would at least ask for my client. He has some ideas on coating them and at this point it can't hurt anything. Replacing them is the best option.

TFT

Hey Trent,

If the client has "ideas on coating them" I would let the client try them. That way it's not your dime if the "coating" ends up staining the cloth. Just a thought.

And remember, black marks matter !

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hey Trent,

If the client has "ideas on coating them" I would let the client try them. That way it's not your dime if the "coating" ends up staining the cloth. Just a thought.

And remember, black marks matter !

He also is a friend of mine, so even though he is being a lil cheap, i dont want him to mess up his table. I did some reading on the topic an it seems using denatured alcohol on them takes off a bit of the dye.

Black marks on the balls suck!;)

TFT

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was able to remove the black finish with lacquer thinner.
It was a time consuming but worthwhile process.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What DOES it cost for new pockets?

I'm getting a little tired of picking up balls off the floor from holes in the nets on my 1999 diamond pro.

Is Diamond doing business right now?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
What DOES it cost for new pockets?

I'm getting a little tired of picking up balls off the floor from holes in the nets on my 1999 diamond pro.

Is Diamond doing business right now?

I am not sure about the price, plus shipping. Yes, they are open. Give them a call and get you a new set!

TFT

Last edited: