The story behind the Jackot cues

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can you straightfaced type all those words in support of there being no such thing as a 1500$ cue? [/B]

The following situation is hypothetical, of course, but maybe you can get the point.

Say Tim Scruggs buys a blank off Prather and a shaft blank and makes a Sneaky Pete.

Say George Balabushka bought an identical blank and shaft blank.

Say they both used George's equipment to make the exact same cue...part for part.

Better yet, they watched each other making the cues while they sat there and bullshitted along the way until they were both finished.

Which cue would sell for more?

Would more people pay MORE money for George's cue than Tim's?

I'm betting more people would buy George's cue and pay more, just because of the NAME.

It WOULDN'T be because George possessed some kind of MAGIC that Tim couldn't conjure up and put into his cue.

Don't get hung up on NAMES.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The following situation is hypothetical, of course, but maybe you can get the point.

Say Tim Scruggs buys a blank off Prather and a shaft blank and makes a Sneaky Pete.

If Dean were selling it, that sneaky would be a Balabushka.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Dean were selling it, that would make it a Balabushka.

What do sellers call recently-made Richard Black cues that were made by his helper and never even seen by Richard?

Do they call them "Helpers" or "Blacks"?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Dean were selling it, that sneaky would be a Balabushka.

No, now Chris, give ol Dean some credit.

It would be a magic Balabushka that would draw the ball 12 rails, make you more attractive to the opposite sex, and fix the hitch in your step that has kept you unsuccessful for the last 20 years.

:duck:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ludicrous. I refuse to believe you actually fail to see the difference in a mass oroducer vs boutique builder

Let's talk about reality: prathers is neither Scruggs, nor boobaloshkey.

dean slipped one thru on azb.

Did you pay the full 500$ for ea of the ones you bought?

Say they both used George's equipment to make the exact same cue...part for part.

Better yet, they watched each other making the cues while they sat there and bullshitted along the way until they were both finished.

Which cue would sell for more?

Would more people pay MORE money for George's cue than Tim's?

I'm betting more people would buy George's cue and pay more, just because of the NAME.

It WOULDN'T be because George possessed some kind of MAGIC that Tim couldn't conjure up and put into his cue.

Don't get hung up on NAMES.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
can people still send their cue back to dean now that they know it is merely a 150 to 200 dollar at the maximum retail, schmelke?

would they keep it anyway feeling if they do then they are admitting they have been duped?

or would they keep it believing it hits so good they dont care?

or did dean spend hundreds extra with schmelke making an extraordinary special cue.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• jackpot1.jpg
    jackpot1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 460
  • jackpot2.jpg
    jackpot2.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 461

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Poor SW.
They're always the target when someone tells about how good their cues hit.
" Hits like SW" Or " hits better than SW".

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Oh, my...That's not good. I'm not really one of those guys that roll cues endlessly back and forward, measure points with rulers etc, but it seems pretty clear that this is not a quality cue. The pvc joint looks horrible, it would look much better without, at least on the butt. And the shafts...Doesn't look like the holes in the shafts is chamfered properly, the shaftwood looks really cheap too. If this had been a 250-300 dollar cue, I'd still not be thrilled, but if had bought this for 500, I'd been PISSED. The hollow butt section does not exactly inspire confidence, either.

I always wondered how Schmelke could make cues in the US so cheaply, now I know. Corners cut...I bought a McDermott G223 some years ago. It had a beautiful finish, lovely wood and a G-core shaft that played very well indeed. Had it custom tapered to 12.5mm. It had a beautiful weight distribution and balance, which can be an issue on certain older McDermotts. Every part of that cue screamed quality, apart from the tip which was the type i hate the most, Everest. Naturally, changing that was a piece of cake. The rings and everything were flawlessly executed for the price point, and only an insane cue maniac would be dissatisfied. I believe I paid less than 300 dollars for that cue brand new. Gave a real pride of ownership, kind of regret selling it . Only a more expensive Mezz would have been the same value. The Mezz may be marginally better, the shaft in particular, but also costs more. Either cue is a great choice. Had I lived in the US, I'd have a great warranty and free cleaning on my McDermott shaft etc...I don't know how McDermott does it, frankly. I even bought a McDermott Lucky made in China years ago to break with. That was not a good choice, the clue joints all fail and there are rattles all over it now. The US made McDermotts are solid quality, however.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I didn't have my lathe set up and I had long been curious how some cues were sold so cheap so I bought a Schmelke. Tried a 32" shaft, it was simply unplayable. Made my old moochie seem like a piece of iron pipe! I whacked a couple inches off of the shaft and put a top quality ferrule and tip on it and it played OK, I like a soft hit anyway.

After I had it for months I lightly bumped the shaft against something and my cue broke half in two! Easy to see the problem, the shaft wasn't threaded for the insert. A hole was cut just small enough that the threads of the insert barely scored the wood. A small dab of glue finished the fit of insert to shaft.

Tossed the shaft, it was now garbage. When I turned my own shaft I put an insert for a G-10 pin. When I pulled the pin out of the butt I found it was a very cheap pin made from threaded stock and only about 3/4" long in the butt.

For my hundred and I think sixty-five dollars I ended up with a very thin one piece bocate butt and a cheap rubber bumper. Not sure if it stayed straight or not.

This is my one experience with Schmelke. I have no idea if it is typical or not but what looks good for two days, and seems good months and years later can definitely be two different things. Oddly enough, with Dean saying fit and finish might be a little lacking, outside appearance seemed to be Schmelke's strong points looking at my very plain cue.

I hope happy people stay happy. I didn't feel too bad about getting $35 worth of wood for the price of a cheap cue, I would feel like a world class pigeon if I had paid five hundred dollars for what I got.

I do have to wonder how many would have paid $500 for a jackpot if they knew in advance it was made by Schmelke?

Hu

32 inch shaft...Unless that has been custom tapered by an expert it's going to hit like absolute garbage. I wouldn't expect a mass producer of low priced cues to get that magic right. Almost all the people wanting longer cues want an even split between shaft and butt, some want a longer shaft than the butt. To me that is not the right way to go about it. The butt should be longer and the shaft kept standard length. It's custom, anyway, so the balance issue that theoretically could cause could be easily engineered away. Saves tons of trouble when it comes to getting the playability right and gives more flexibility for after market shafts. Might need a custom case, though.

I've never hit a "normal" maple shaft more than 30 inches that I thought hit acceptable. There is a reason carom cues are shorter, the shorter the shaft the easier it is to get a firm hit. Once you go above 30 inches, a normal pro taper will feel like a soft, rubbery mess. I have hit with a custom cue that was longer, and I thought it was ok. I expect the maker kept the diameter larger for longer than a normal shaft? If I was a cuemaker, that's what I'd do, make it a sort of conical/pro hybrid. Pro taper at the end, then a more conical section and a long straight, thick section towards the joint (more like an extension of the butt than a normal shaft). Of course much more could be done with carbon or carbon cored cues.

The other problems sound familiar to dirt cheap cues. You mostly get what you pay for.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
That's really BS to go in to your original post, completely rewrite it...completely...and label it as edited for punctuation. Do you really not understand how dishonest that makes you seem?

What you originally wrote was quoted so nobody is falling for the latest nonsense. Well, I suppose a few are...

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's really BS to go in to your original post, completely rewrite it...completely...and label it as edited for punctuation. Do you really not understand how dishonest that makes you seem?

What you originally wrote was quoted so nobody is falling for the latest nonsense. Well, I suppose a few are...

Sent from the future.

Have no fear, it was quoted. :thumbup:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6623510&postcount=10

Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Jack and I had thought about the project over the years,sharing our ideas
with you from time to time.

He had such good success with the Libra and I had the Deano cues with
Schmelke blanks finished by John Nemic I approached several friends in the
business about the idea before proceeding.

Larry Vigus was in no position to help with any hands on work,I talked to
Shelby and he was too busy, I went to Paul Drexler who is always so helpful
to anyone in the cue business needing help. He made the suggestion to
me that I contact David Schmelke. saying he does great work.

Schmelke is a tremendous cue making company with the ability to manufacture
cues in any price range and has experience building cues for others.

Did you know that many,if not most of the Titleist blanks so popular today
were manufactured by Schmelke for Brunswick?. Schmelke also made the
blanks for John Nemec when he made the Deano cues.

Rick Landsberg of Best Billiards in Orange County bought hundreds from Tad
who had bought the left over stock from Schmelke when Brunswick quit
using them.

When Schmelke took on the project I was very happy because among other things
I had a very reputable USA company with not only the talent and ability to handle these
cues but also Schmelke had vast amounts of great old wood and good
shaft wood available( perhaps the best in the world)

I recently bought a large amount of excellent ebony from Schmelke for some of the better
cue makers,high dollar cue makers in America.

Jack and I discussed our project and tested several cues in trial runs to be sure we got what
we wanted .a distinctive powerful responsive hit that we felt like was our own

The thing that impressed us and caused us to go forward was the great shaft wood and
Schmelke's proceedure of making great shafts. I have seen $5000 cues with shafts that were
not as nice as what we got.

Just a word ... first after several passes (cutting and sanding and processing) a vigorous
shaft pretparation beginning with sealer ,spinning and finishing, then a special 3 step process
of applying spinning polishing ending with a wax.

Why didn't we explain everything up front?

It was unimportant ,served us no purpose and both parties were feeling each other
other out,if there had been a problem with something there was no use in spreading the blame.
There was no problem

Not one customer complained about the play ,while several called and ordered as many as 4
more,great pool players claimed they loved the play.

We like to think we had something to do with that result.Schmelke did great work,
they provided great materials and payed close attention to details,provided everything according
to our specs and time tables.

We are proud of our product which we consider a great success. The cues play good,look good
and enabled us to put a nice cue in your hands for a good price.

Schmelke is a tremendous company and they have been putting great cues at low prices in
players hands for years.

A great deal of controversy was caused by people with absolutely no financial involvement,
they were not customers and had not touched the cues.

Not one customer did or could lose money because we stood behind the product with a
no question asked ,money back guaranteed if the customer wanted his money back with
a normal period of time.

Our sneaky pete was built to the same specs and hit the same.Several cues were sent
to the Philipines to support youth pool sponsored by the Anito KID

One of his 15 year old kids beat Efren and we wanted to provide these kids the chance to play
with top quality equipment at no cost.

Your purchases helped suport that project and any extra profits went a great deal toward helping
Jack with unexpected hospital bills.

Originally ,I had planned on taking my profits and having a good time with the family.
As you know I have never been ashamed to make a profit and I don't intend to start to change.

Please do not take this as an apology, I am proud of everything we did . This is just a public
explanation which I am making now unforced or coerced.

We are now facing a major crisis,perhaps the biggest since the big war.My mother had to ration gas,
and now maybe it's toilet paper. Some are losing jobs.
Our industry is certainly facing hard times for the short term.

I am grateful to those of you who increased your orders while we were being criticized,and to the
dozens of you who told us to keep our chin up and not let the turkeys get us down.

I should offer a hearty thanks to our detractors who while attempting to do us harm
have actually provided us with increased orders and letters of support from the rest of you.

Dean

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Full disclosure, I did not purchase or own a Jackpot Cue.

Just to be clear. The cues were supposedly made by Jack Porter formerly of Libra cue, and advertised as such. Not a Schmelke, Viking, or anything else correct?!
Why is this even a debate?
Regardless of how the cue plays or the persons have been treated by the Seller it is fraud.

Fraud
noun
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.