Pool League Situation - Make the Call - APA Match

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I think that some wild hare pointed out another flaw/confusion/mistake in the APA rules. Sometimes such posters don't adhere strictly to the topic that the OP hoped to have addressed. Perhaps you've seen that sort of thing before?

Just like your post and mine.:groucho:

Thanks. Wasn’t sure if I missed part of the post.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mandating that a ball hit a rail after legal contact with the object ball is confusing for many and causes arguments but it's an APA rule. APA uses ball in hand. The cue ball can't be accidentally touched by the cue. You can't scoop jump shots. It's not like it's a barroom free-for-all where anything goes.

The original violation was unfortunate but an obvious foul and loss of game. This is not nittish to point out, just like it's not nittish to point out that nothing hit a rail after contact.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I find silly is that someone would actually use the rule book to gain a win in league play, its just a league. If the cue ball was headed for a pocket with lots of speed it might be worth calling but if its rolling to the center of the table and not fast enough to hit a cushion I certainly would not call it. I would inform the player that they fouled and congratulate them on their win but I aint calling a foul, I dont need to win 1 game in league like that Many times in league my opponent has miscued on the break and I tell him to try again, winning first place in league year after year is kinda like being the best softball player in Greenland.

Well then if it’s just league play, then let’s cancel nationals as there’s no reason to compete then.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
What if that win you gave them prevented you from going to the playoffs?

I look at it this way, if there are rules they need to be followed. If it's not clearly defined and is questionable, I would probably give it to a lower skill level player but I wouldn't give it to a higher skill level player. They should no better.

Well, if we must....

We "could" break down every missed shot "could" eventually lead up to why my team didn't make the playoffs. Let alone a single game. Yes, you are right, that one game that I gave my opponent may be the difference between making the playoffs or not. Theoretically it is possible. One game out of my one match. My match will have anywhere between 2 games to 9 games. So we can break that down, too...

We can break down which week of the session it occurs in, as to how important it is to the impending playoffs. Yes, a loss in week 1 counts as much as a loss in week 15. But if my team isn't in the running to be in the playoffs in week 15, that would adjust the weight, would it not?

And of course, I'm not saying that I would necessarily give up the game every time. There are a couple individuals that I'm quite certain would not extend me the same courtesy, and I would treat them accordingly.

All of this is why I originally pointed out that there is a rule for a reason. And that different scenarios would affect the situation. You can apply the letter of the law in every scenario. You have the right to do so, after all, it's in the rules. However, in games between friends, especially in regular league nights, some folks might be a bit more lenient in absolute application of the rules.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Well then if it’s just league play, then let’s cancel nationals as there’s no reason to compete then.

Thats fine with me. Im not interested in winning "league" pool. I rarely shoot team tournaments, if I lose I want it to be because I got beat or didnt play up to my potential, I dont want to lose because my team mate missed a shot or made a strategic error. Same holds true if I win, I dont want to win because I was carried by my team mates, I want to win because of my choices.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats fine with me. Im not interested in winning "league" pool. I rarely shoot team tournaments, if I lose I want it to be because I got beat or didnt play up to my potential, I dont want to lose because my team mate missed a shot or made a strategic error. Same holds true if I win, I dont want to win because I was carried by my team mates, I want to win because of my choices.

Some people are not cut out to play on teams or leagues period. I lime playing leagues and i dont begrudge any one who feels different. As far as the varied opinions i read on here concernng rules....well lets just say every form of pool has rules...8 ball.....9 ball...14.1....snooker ..etc etc.. Either follow all the rules in whatever format you play or dont play. Simple as that imo.