Jumping up !!!

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another point that seems pretty sound was made by Hunter Lombardo on one of the videos about Rollie Williams going to the U. S. Open....
It resounded pretty well to me.
He was speaking about “forming” your body to the table. “Draping” if you will, too brace his entire forearm and relax into the shot.
He mentions in passing, that this also helps to stop jumping up....

Seems legit, as they say.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think jumping up is a combination of two things.

One is simply fundamentals. I think staying down and following through can be drilled into your muscle memory. Following Zero-X drills, I shot 1000 cue balls from the headspot straight into pockets (no object ball) with a focus on nothing but staying down and following through. I paused all other pool playing and practice entirely until I hit 1000. You want that burned into your muscle memory so firm that that it stands up to pressure. That leads me to....

Two is familiarity with shots. We tend to fear shots we are not comfortable with. You see it all the time. Low level players shooting with great fundamentals until the need to shoot a hard cut, play a tricky positional shot, or apply some aggressive spin. Next thing you know, all their fundamentals are out the window. They jump up. They drop their shoulder. They jerk at the ball. They don’t follow through. But you saw all those pieces come together in the easy shots. I described drilling fundamentals so they stand up to pressure but the second part is to ease the pressure. You have to get more comfortable with the kinds of shots that make you uncomfortable. You have to notice what they are and get back in the dojo and practice them 20 times in a row every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good post. #2 is me. I'll try the 1000 balls.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post. #2 is me. I'll try the 1000 balls.

It helped me a ton. My follow through improved a lot. Which also helped my draw stroke tons too.

I’ve had players much better than me tell me that my stroke is better than theirs because I get through the ball better. Unfortunately they still beat me because they move the ball better, which I took to mean planning for smarter / simpler patterns.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
55 years a world famous pool player, one of the greatest, told me something.
He suggested staying in my stance, hands on the cloth, still sighting everything.

Simply put, he said don’t get up from your stance until the cue ball stops rolling.
Watch the path it travels, the speed, any spin, intended or otherwise, and learn.

At the same time, you’ll eliminate any tendency to lift up during the shot because
you are conditioning yourself to stay down on your shots and the entire cue stroke.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In golf, a bad swing often is described as a LUFU.........look up _uck up.........well, pool is the same.
Stationary, stillness, calmness, rhythmic, effortless...those are learned characteristics of your stroke.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to jump up on those shots I know I'm going to miss right after pulling the trigger. I've seen a lot of others do the same.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tend to jump up on those shots I know I'm going to miss right after pulling the trigger. I've seen a lot of others do the same.
I hate it when match commentators say: "He missed it because he jumped up on the shot." Almost always, what happened instead was: "He jumped up because he missed the shot." Top players usually know as soon as they hit the CB whether a shot is good or not.

Regards,
Dave

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a proven method or way to stop from jumping up on your shots ? Please reply only if you have the knowledge ... thanks

This is easy — slow down.

Get into shooting position slowly, deliberately. You’ll stay down.

Lou Figueroa
or check
your prescriptions

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lots of good suggestions.

Firstly iit doesn’t matter when you get up as long as you have Finished your follow through. However, Easier said then done. I stay down until all the balls have stopped moving,

I just stay down instinctively after decades of playing. Watch pro snooker players and it is instilled from an early age.

I was taught to watch the cue ball after contact and and not the object ball. This way there is less of an immediate emotional reaction to the object ball sinking or not. Also, after the beginner stage, good cueball position Is the sign of a successful shot ...not sinking the ball.

Bottom line, Stay down to study the resulting action on the table. This way you have a ‘reason’ to stay down.

Now I'll contradict myself. There are times when playing American pool that I get into a ‘groove’ . I feel like I can’t miss and just ‘Bam, bam...’ everything seems to go in. I might be in the other side of the table before all the balls stop. This is Rare. The other 98% of he itme is ‘slowdown’.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Self Discipline: (if only we could just go out and buy more when we run low). While I KNOW I should stay down at least until the OB disappears in the pocket, when I see that a slow-rolled shot into the corner can’t possibly miss, I sometimes lose patience, and begin to address/line up on the already-stopped CB for the next (obvious) shot. Getting away with it a few times in a row can then start to subconsciously convince you that staying down isn’t all that important.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are your ears OP?

Get down on the shot, stay in position while executing the shot & listen for the pocket drop.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One is simply fundamentals. I think staying down and following through can be drilled into your muscle memory. Following Zero-X drills, I shot 1000 cue balls from the headspot straight into pockets (no object ball) with a focus on nothing but staying down and following through. I paused all other pool playing and practice entirely until I hit 1000. You want that burned into your muscle memory so firm that that it stands up to pressure.

I completely agree with what Matt has stated above. In my 40+ years of playing I have done the 1000 ball drill at least a dozen times. I also do the drill for a few hundred times, when my stroke isn’t quite right.

I do the drill with two donuts. One to place the ball, the other to give me a “follow through” point. Finish your stroke with the tip directly through and beyond the second donut. Stay down until the ball pockets.

When you find yourself “jumping up” during a match, you can fall back on the fundamentals learned from this drill. You can also quickly mimic it, by stroking down the seam of the rail and the cushion, a few times, forcing yourself to stroke straight and stay down. It truly does wonders for your stroke!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lots of good suggestions.

Firstly iit doesn’t matter when you get up as long as you have Finished your follow through. However, Easier said then done. I stay down until all the balls have stopped moving,

I just stay down instinctively after decades of playing. Watch pro snooker players and it is instilled from an early age.

I was taught to watch the cue ball after contact and and not the object ball. This way there is less of an immediate emotional reaction to the object ball sinking or not. Also, after the beginner stage, good cueball position Is the sign of a successful shot ...not sinking the ball.

Bottom line, Stay down to study the resulting action on the table. This way you have a ‘reason’ to stay down.

Now I'll contradict myself. There are times when playing American pool that I get into a ‘groove’ . I feel like I can’t miss and just ‘Bam, bam...’ everything seems to go in. I might be in the other side of the table before all the balls stop. This is Rare. The other 98% of he ime is is ‘slowdown’.

Nuther thing about drilling in this manner is eventually you'll have developed a street level map of your periphery. I suspect guys like Reyes have this at their disposal.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Does anyone have a proven method or way to stop from jumping up on your shots ? Please reply only if you have the knowledge ... thanks

Don't forget that your playing pool, not bassetball before you shoot or watch the OB go into or miss the pocket your shooting to prior to coming out of your stance

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned the most important info yet.

If you have too much weight on your back leg, that in itself can make you more prone to jump up. This commonly happen when you are set up too close to the table. I see jumping up much more commonly in older people who have adopted higher stances and therefore have insufficient weight on their bridgehand. Now, some people have health reasons, and too much weight forward CAN be bad for your shoulder, but when you lift your bridgehand up, the tendency of your body should be to fall forward.

If you feel your stance IS solid, with adequate pressure on the bridge hand, then obviously you are shifting weight as you stroke. Needless to say, this is bad, even if you don't jump up, per se. I recommend shooting shots, while concentrating solely on keeping the weight distrubution between your feet and bridgehand constant throughout the swing, and staying down for 1 additional second. If you do this for a while, it should easily fix the problem. HOWEVER, i bet your stance is NOT solid, if you're jumping up. It's so hard to do with a good stance.