Would this be a Runde Schon?

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up this Schon SP-30...I believe it was made between 88-91...Would this be considered a Runde cue...I sure like it either way

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_174055.jpg
    IMG_20170420_174055.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_20170420_174105.jpg
    IMG_20170420_174105.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IMG_20170420_174111.jpg
    IMG_20170420_174111.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,107
I just picked up this Schon SP-30...I believe it was made between 88-91...Would this be considered a Runde cue...I sure like it either way

I do not know, but I always thought that Runde era Schon cues all had sharp points (not rounded off points, like in your Schon). I love the sharp inlays in your cue. So many of the Schon cues that I ever seen have had the rounded off inlays. I love the ones with the sharp inlays.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was my impression that cues that Bob actually laid hands on left Schon with mitred sharp points.
It was after Bob left when Schon designs started relying on CNC points. It's possible he could have
been involved making this cue but based upon your pics, it was more likely made by Evan Clarke.

Attachments

• Forearm.jpg
    Forearm.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 803
  • Really Sharp Points.jpg
    Really Sharp Points.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 815
  • Schon_1st_Catalog__Page_1.jpg
    Schon_1st_Catalog__Page_1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • Schon_1st_catalog_Page_2.jpg
    Schon_1st_catalog_Page_2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 878
  • Engraved Butt Sleeve.jpg
    Engraved Butt Sleeve.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The cue is an earlier inlaid point model made while Bob was still involved in the business. The extent of his involvement of these builds is questionable. The smaller radius of the point tips, inlays, and espescially engraved logo without the "umlauts" (the two little dots above the ö) tell the story.

So YES it is Runde era Schon though not quite desireable as ones with short spliced forearms that Bob built himself.

I'll add at least one shaft is not original and neither is the wrap....

Last edited:

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue is an earlier inlaid point model made while Bob was still involved in the business. The extent of his involvement of these builds is questionable. The smaller radius of the point tips, inlays, and espescially engraved logo without the "umlauts" (the two little dots above the ö) tell the story.

So YES it is Runde era Schon though not quite desireable as ones with short spliced forearms that Bob built himself.

I did not have the other original shaft with me for the picture...The shaft in the picture is a OB classic + that the ring work has been matched on.. and no I don't think the wrap is original either...Thank you for your help...I appreciate it

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know, but I always thought that Runde era Schon cues all had sharp points (not rounded off points, like in your Schon). I love the sharp inlays in your cue. So many of the Schon cues that I ever seen have had the rounded off inlays. I love the ones with the sharp inlays.
Not all of them I believe, also the silver rings were an option above the stitches.

Last edited:

howardthedick

BIG Head Club
Silver Member
Nothing questionable here...

Hi Tim, Bob built every cue from start to finish while he ran the shop..no one touched his cues (not even a tip)..and that info is straight from Bob to me.

Greg

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob was indeed a very meticulous cue-maker while at Schon and ever since for that matter.
The gold rings sound really cool. I hope ru4au2 posts photos. I've never seen a Schon use them.

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob was indeed a very meticulous cue-maker while at Schon and ever since for that matter.
The gold rings sound really cool. I hope ru4au2 posts photos. I've never seen a Schon use them.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 20170421_200649.jpg
    20170421_200649.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 20170421_200701.jpg
    20170421_200701.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 513
  • 20170421_200707.jpg
    20170421_200707.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 517

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang they look silver in the pictures....but I swear they look gold in person

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look gold in that pic:groucho: Very nice Runde Schon. Love his work and one day hope to own one.

Have a good weekend,

-Kat,

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it looks like an sp 30 to me
i did not look closely but the main point looked panagraphed while the interior points were sharp

i thought these were made by evan

i have owned sp30 s with sharp points and rounded

i think evan made some of each,but i might be mistaken

either way this model; was one of my favorites

i was talking to schon about making me a group of them around the time evan left

i think i would still like to order a couple of dozen,i like them very much