No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.

For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?

• Total voters

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets. Older generations might, but, that does not mean everyone else wants that.

The Game has changed across the board!!

From my experience in the field and selling pool tables all over the country I have found from that data this: More people prefer a Pro Cut Pocket:4.5" corners and 5" sides.

Diamonds come standard this way and the 7' Diamond is one of the best selling pool tables in the business. The new Rasson tables come with the Pro Cut as well.

Not to mention the tons of threads on AZB about tightening pockets.

I am interested to see how the poll does.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5" & 5" is fine. Anything smaller is no good imo. I play on this size at the local room and they're fine. As for "most" players? If you mean most serious/avid players yes i would agree with that. Recreational/fun players, maybe not so much. One thing, i thought LeagueCut was standard size on 7ft Diamonds and ProCut is the option. Not true? Just askin'.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5" & 5" is fine. Anything smaller is no good imo. I play on this size at the local room and they're fine. As for "most" players? If you mean most serious/avid players yes i would agree with that. Recreational/fun players, maybe not so much. One thing, i thought LeagueCut was standard size on 7ft Diamonds and ProCut is the option. Not true? Just askin'.

I agree with that. Larger pockets for recreation... smaller for serious play. I just redid my table with 4 1/4 corners a d 4 1/2 sides. About right for a 7 foot,.... dont think I'd like em that tight on a 9 foot though.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like both. Have to have at least 4.5"
to enjoy one pocket.
Playing rotation 9&10 ball by myself on
a big pocket gold crown, just firing in
balls with reckless abandon is one
of my favorite pastimes.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more vote for pro-cut pockets. Just a natural progression based on better equipment these days. I’ve had pro-cuts on my anniversary for about 6 months now and the adjustment has really been no problem. I think my skill level has improved significantly more than if I had stayed with the stock 5” soup buckets. Now I don’t really like the idea of going much smaller since pro-cuts are really making a very small pocket when shooting an OB down the rail.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too tight of pockets ruins the game imo, takes away the art of making small angles by cheating the pocket to one side or the other. 4.5 pockets are fine as long as the down angle of the facings is correct. If they’re too upright the pocket won’t accept balls hit into the facings, which is a nightmare.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My new diamond table I just ordered will have 4.5" pockets. I selected this option so that I can practice on a table where i need to make a good shot and not get into bad situations if I ever decide to play a tournament with the smaller pockets.

I would not want to go any smaller than 4.5" because it becomes a struggle and not fun to play anymore.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too tight of pockets ruins the game imo, takes away the art of making small angles by cheating the pocket to one side or the other. 4.5 pockets are fine as long as the down angle of the facings is correct. If they’re too upright the pocket won’t accept balls hit into the facings, which is a nightmare.

Yeah but incorrect pocket miters and down angles are a whole different animal. I can’t speak for Trent, but I’m pretty sure that this pole is assuming all other factors being correct, or the same. Pockets incorrectly cut will spit good balls out no matter what size the opening.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares? The guy I'm shooting against has the same size pockets I do. If I can't beat him on fives, I probably can't beat on 4 1/2s either.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poorly worded options.

And why can I only vote on 1?

And why are you so vindictive?

And are the pockets both of similar quality cuts, or are the buckets cut by blind work release guy with machete?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not voting and it's not necessarily because I disagree with the op but rather because, imo, if you're gonna put up a poll it shouldn't be asking the question with such heavy influence in a particular direction.

again, just imo.

but the topic discussion is good. ;)

best,
brian kc

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
kinda cooked the books!

The wording of your poll kinda cooked the books a little!

You talk about people wanting the small pockets then about what big sellers seven foot tables are. I would want smaller pockets on the smaller table too, to raise the difficulty level to close to the same as a nine footer.

I voted for buckets. You didn't give me the option to say I wanted the buckets on a ten foot table but that is what I want. I watched Bugs Rucker's instructional videos on banks last night. A lot of his banks wouldn't have went on a tight Diamond, particularly into side pockets off of the end rail.

A lot has changed. As a whole much newer and better maintained tables in halls has led to livelier cushions and much faster cloth. That has changed the game as has the smaller pockets. Do these changes make the game better? Not really, they just make it different. As for all of the runout claims I watched four of the top pro's playing a skins game on TV in the modern era. Seven ball, ball in hand if the player before you missed. Runout city! Well it should have been. Usually multiple players after the breaker got to the table and the breaker won at least once after coming back to the table. This wasn't on a tough rack.

I think the future of pool in the US is seven foot tables, tighter pockets, maybe even snooker style pockets. Doesn't mean I have to like small tables.

Hu

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 3/4"? When are we gonna start putting Goalies in front of the pockets?

Geez... that's a little obtuse no?

I agree... There are many places around Los Angeles with "Ernesto" 4" pockets.

Mine are 4 1/4" … 4 3/4" sides. Play nice for rotation and 1P.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you people need to loosen your anus a little bit. It's a simple question... do you prefer 4 1/2" or 5" pockets. If you can't answer that without trying to be a scholar or a psychiatrist, you need the later.