The new Aramith tournament balls

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO there is an art to televising a pool match and a great production I have yet to see. With the camera technology that we have today (and for the last fifteen to twenty years) there is no reason that we can't see EVERY ball clearly. There is a rhythm to a game of pool that revolves around a player stalking the table preparing to shoot the next shot and the actual execution of the shot. There is absolutely no reason why during that first phase (typically 15-30 seconds) a good director could not have cameras zooming in on the balls, especially the ones that the player will be shooting at next or the problem balls that lay ahead. The uninformed directors tend to lean on the overhead camera, which doesn't help in differentiating the balls, when they are uncertain about what will happen next. IMO there is no real need for an overhead camera in televising pool. It does not add anything to the show and in some ways diminishes it.

I have seen this in my head while watching the matches and how easy it would be to do. Often while doing commentary, I've thought "zoom in, zoom in," but it isn't my place to speak to the director. It would take a director who is knowledgeable about pool and not just about television production. Pat Fleming and Accu-Stats come closest to achieving this in some of their shows, but more by accident than design.

I actually love the overhead shots. I have always had issues learning when being told something. I NEED to visualize it. Once I see it, I memorize it and can replay it in my head. The overhead shot helps me reproduce the shot on my own. I may be in the minority.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually love the overhead shots. I have always had issues learning when being told something. I NEED to visualize it. Once I see it, I memorize it and can replay it in my head. The overhead shot helps me reproduce the shot on my own. I may be in the minority.

Good for you. I respect your opinion. As for me, it's a one dimensional look at a three dimensional game.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the interesting angles and action shots but I do expect to be able to see the full table layout enough to see patterns and potential shot selections. I think there’s a balance. I wouldn’t want a Hollywood view of a match where you only see a player stroke and cut to a ball falling in a pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like a quik overhead shot to show the lay-out and then the regular camera angles for the rest.

That works if you can tell one ball from another. They have no way to zoom in on the overhead camera, so that presents a problem.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like a quik overhead shot to show the lay-out and then the regular camera angles for the rest.

That works if you can tell one ball from another. They have no way to zoom in on the overhead camera, so that presents a problem.

The technology is relatively inexpensive now....
..I’d like to see an over the table shot so I could see the pattern....
...which is a reason I hate having to identify the balls.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The technology is relatively inexpensive now....
..I’d like to see an over the table shot so I could see the pattern....
...which is a reason I hate having to identify the balls.

How can you see the "pattern" if you can't tell which ball is which?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'll just order popcorn and not opine on this thread. Just gonna sit back and see how it plays out. lol

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be a lot cheaper if they'd just go back to Black and White TV.

If that's Buttered Popcorn, I want some.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think I'll just order popcorn and not opine on this thread. Just gonna sit back and see how it plays out. lol

Be a lot cheaper if they'd just go back to Black and White TV.

If that's Buttered Popcorn, I want some.

You guys might be ready for the new method of viewing a pool match...

B483735F-26D2-494C-A564-56B13CDFEA46.jpeg

...you have to eat the color they’re shooting at.

..and Boxcar...make sure it’s butter and not margarine

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I’d take a few moments and set up an interesting “generation” pic showing the evolution and variations available for the Aramith Tournament ball set for all to see side by side to compare and contrast.

BTW - Zero changes were made to these pics quickly shot this morning with an iPad Pro in my poolroom with nothing but cropping done and placed in pages with all 4 pics side to side - and then I captured a screen shot of them all together. Low tech basically. Medium resolution for this forum post.

I’ll save the high-end pics and full write up comparison for fans of ball sets and collectors in our Pool Ball Collectors thread later on this month.

The details:

TOP ROW: Gen 1. Traditional colors.
MIDDLE ROW: Gen 2. Television colors.
BOTTOM ROW: Gen 3. The Black edition.

f39914966ccb2c9da9c93254dccab6fa.jpg

A few instant observations- The font/type style has evolved to be crisper and easier to see. The whites have improved from a creamy white to a brighter white without being translucent. Slight color changes from one set to the next with the easiest to see on this low res pic.....the blue becoming bright and perfect. Same for every bold color. The pink is simply flawless. The new BLACK set green #6 is slightly darker in person than this pic and is very easy to see on the table - especially against the amazing Simonis mocha cloth . The brown and purple - well, perfect shades and contrast when you consider that these will be played on tournament green and blue cloth all over the world - and these new greens and blues and shades are much easier to play on both of those colors. Yes, I’ve done that on both the green and blue cloth - but since I’m not trying to convince or sway anyone’s opinion here in this contribution, I didn’t waste time with pics of proof for you to pick apart. This is about the balls and simply seeing where they’ve been and where they are now. Together.

A final word or two.....

The Blacks are stunning in person and on the table. Mocha, Blue and Green cloth for sure. We’ve played about 10 hours with all three sets in a small group of 14.1 players and we noticed zero changes in the post game analysis for high runs averaging 16 to 24 numerous times in each match. Nearly identical. And that is right out of the box and onto the table. Break and play. No adjustment needed to see the edges. We just played them.

~ K.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Stunning"???? Whatever dude. Based on what's been said not only here but on multiple SM platforms the overwhelming opinion is THEY SUCK. Glad you like yours but i REALLY hope the only time i ever see them is on a Matchroom stream.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I thought I’d take a few moments and set up an interesting “generation” pic showing the evolution and variations available for the Aramith Tournament ball set for all to see side by side to compare and contrast.

BTW - Zero changes were made to these pics quickly shot this morning with an iPad Pro in my poolroom with nothing but cropping done and placed in pages with all 4 pics side to side - and then I captured a screen shot of them all together. Low tech basically. Medium resolution for this forum post.

I’ll save the high-end pics and full write up comparison for fans of ball sets and collectors in our Pool Ball Collectors thread later on this month.

The details:

TOP ROW: Gen 1. Traditional colors.
MIDDLE ROW: Gen 2. Television colors.
BOTTOM ROW: Gen 3. The Black edition.

f39914966ccb2c9da9c93254dccab6fa.jpg

A few instant observations- The font/type style has evolved to be crisper and easier to see. The whites have improved from a creamy white to a brighter white without being translucent. Slight color changes from one set to the next with the easiest to see on this low res pic.....the blue becoming bright and perfect. Same for every bold color. The pink is simply flawless. The new BLACK set green #6 is slightly darker in person than this pic and is very easy to see on the table - especially against the amazing Simonis mocha cloth . The brown and purple - well, perfect shades and contrast when you consider that these will be played on tournament green and blue cloth all over the world - and these new greens and blues and shades are much easier to play on both of those colors. Yes, I’ve done that on both the green and blue cloth - but since I’m not trying to convince or sway anyone’s opinion here in this contribution, I didn’t waste time with pics of proof for you to pick apart. This is about the balls and simply seeing where they’ve been and where they are now. Together.

A final word or two.....

The Blacks are stunning in person and on the table. Mocha, Blue and Green cloth for sure. We’ve played about 10 hours with all three sets in a small group of 14.1 players and we noticed zero changes in the post game analysis for high runs averaging 16 to 24 numerous times in each match. Nearly identical. And that is right out of the box and onto the table. Break and play. No adjustment needed to see the edges. We just played them.

~ K.

There is nothing that offends me about the new colors...I prefer the new green and purple.
What offends me is switching the purple to the 5-ball....:angry: