Will he 3 peat

liakos

Banned
Well, Shane just said in an interview that if the Mosconi Cup racks the 9 on the spot the USA has no chance. So I take that to mean that he isn't too excited about the US Open's decision.

I like Shane a lot!!! BUT!!!! If he said anything negative about the mosconi cup team,,, I'm gonna lose a lot of respect for him, and I mean a lot!!! If he is on the team, and his teammates hear that comment, how much negativity has he just put on himself and the TEAM!!!

I guess, ( if it's true what Shane said) maybe this yrs mosconi team really doesn't have a chance!:(

One more thing I'll add, if it is true Shane said those things,,, if I was Mark, shanes off the team!!

Again, this is only if he said anything negative about the team!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Shane a lot!!! BUT!!!! If he said anything negative about the mosconi cup team,,, I'm gonna lose a lot of respect for him, and I mean a lot!!! If he is on the team, and his teammates hear that comment, how much negativity has he just put on himself and the TEAM!!!

I guess, ( if it's true what Shane said) maybe this yrs mosconi team really doesn't have a chance!:(

One more thing I'll add, if it is true Shane said those things,,, if I was Mark, shanes off the team!!

Again, this is only if he said anything negative about the team!

That wasn't quite what he said as I recall it. He said the US team started losing all the time when they changed the break. He didn't make a prediction about what was going to happen this year - and they haven't announced the breaking rules yet.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think he is already established as an all time great player.

So do I. When you've got these titles/accomplishments on your resume, you are an all-time great.

3 US Open 9-ball
3 Derby City 9-ball
1 US Open 10-ball
1 Derby City 10-ball
1 US Open 8-ball
1 Derby City Banks
1 Derby City One Pocket
1 US Open 1-pocket
2 Derby City Master fo the Table

Shane's place in history is already assured.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When did "rigging the rack" become a thing? When Earl ran 11 racks in a row during the Dallas Million Dollar Challenge, he racked for himself during the first 6 racks and a neutral party racked the final 5 racks. No one ever accused him of rigging his racks. However if someone ran 5 racks today that they racked themselves, they'd be instantly accused of cheating.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
When did "rigging the rack" become a thing? When Earl ran 11 racks in a row during the Dallas Million Dollar Challenge, he racked for himself during the first 6 racks and a neutral party racked the final 5 racks. No one ever accused him of rigging his racks. However if someone ran 5 racks today that they racked themselves, they'd be instantly accused of cheating.

Nobody accused him of rigging his own racks?
Wasn't that part of the controversy?

FASTEDDIE427

BUSTIN' BALLS SINCE '86
Silver Member

Ask Joe tucker that question

Th. rack em and smack em days are long gone. . And truth be told if you could gaurentee a runout every time just by rigging it you would too. .

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Excellent question. As you have correctly noted, Earl is not and never has been a rack mechanic.

I'd guess it was in about 2009 that nine ball was declared "broken" with the break being too easy cited as the primary problem, and both the racks and the rack mechanics were blamed. This was, to a great extent, responsible for the growth in the number of 10-ball events.

Although there were a few rack mechanics before this, I'd say the rack rigging subject has been prominent since about 2009.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree!!!!

To the original question I do think Shane could 3 peat, but I doubt he will and I don't think it has much to do with the rack. This is a strong field where top players will meet up earlier in the tournament making it a tougher test.

As for all this stuff about rack rigging and whatever my take on it is that there isn't as much to it as a lot of people want to believe. Granted I don't have experience on the pro pool scene, .

Its OVER BLOWN!! If there were 10 decent Pro players in this country like there is in Europe or China or the Philippines there would b more winners and less whiners.

Rodney and Archer are the only two that can compete with him, Cory and Earl sometimes, not enough to mention and lots of young guys that are coming up, but SVB is just the best, head and shoulders above everybody in this country.

Racking the 9 ball on the spot or not, he just gets out.

FASTEDDIE427

BUSTIN' BALLS SINCE '86
Silver Member
Its OVER BLOWN!! If there were 10 decent Pro players in this country like there is in Europe or China or the Philippines there would b more winners and less whiners.

Rodney and Archer are the only two that can compete with him, Cory and Earl sometimes, not enough to mention and lots of young guys that are coming up, but SVB is just the best, head and shoulders above everybody in this country.

Racking the 9 ball on the spot or not, he just gets out.

Shane is in pain cause you keep hanging on his nuts

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said!!!!!!!

if SVB only wins because of his break, why does he win one pocket tournaments? At one time he was considered best in the world at that discipline. For those crying cheat, all his opponents tried to copy his break, and couldn't do it. I don't think they couldn't copy it because of lack of talent; more likely Mr. Van Boening spent a lot more time working on his break. If the rack was that easy to rig, every player would rig it.

Dennis O, Busty, Lee Van and a hold host of Asian players don't care about his rack or anybody's else's. Work on your break, learn how to run out and beat SVB or just accept that he's the best in the US by far.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think

The racking gurus, the most notorious being SVB and Mike D (although Johnny Archer, in his ABR interview, reckoned there are 20 in the field), will still be the best rackers and best breakers in this US Open.

The real problem is that Shane is in a slump in rotation pool events on the big tables of late. He came a respectable 5th at both the China Open and the World 9-ball Championships, but since then, he did not reach the single elimination stage at the CSI 10-ball, he failed to reach the final day at the Steinway Classic (coming 17th, I think), his play was very ordinary in the World Cup of Pool in a 5th place finish, he did not reach the final day at Turning Stone (coming 9th) and, based on his own Face-book post, he bombed at the Challenge of Champions last week.

Shane had a great start to 2014, playing beautifully at both Derby City and Super Billiards Expo, but the second half of 2014 has surely been one of great disappointment for Shane. We all know that this fine player will turn it around one of these days. Perhaps this will be the week, but on his recent form, I don't think he'll win.

... and if Shane wants to suggest that Team USA can't win with the nine-on-the-spot break, he's simply knocking his after-the-break skills, which is quite surprising. Far more surprising is that he, by implication, is knocking those of his teammates, too, which, to me, is unprofessional.

Appleton, who won the US Open in 2010 and 2011, has been a US-based player for nearly a decade Have you ever heard him complain about tournaments with nine-on-the-spot breaking? Same thing with Mika, who won the US Open in 2008 and 2009. He wins big events no matter where the nine is racked. Yes, Appleton and Immonen win titles on three continents and no matter where the nine is racked.

Is Shane a one-trick pony? He thinks so, but I'm not convinced. He's better than he thinks. Don't count him out, but as I noted, his form isn't very good right now. Wishing Shane the best of luck in his quest for three straight.

that when you are talking about rack mechanic's that you should NOT talk to the biggest POS pro player ever to rack the ball's.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's going on in this thread? Man, it's the Open this week. Let's talk about the Open matches instead of cutting each other up. Sheesh! :eek:

BMW

Banned
I don't think Shane will win this year. The winner more than likely will be an Asian or European. I think one of the Chinese players will win it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What's going on in this thread? Man, it's the Open this week. Let's talk about the Open matches instead of cutting each other up. Sheesh! :eek:

Yeah, did you catch the Hennessee vs Dominguez match? The players showed a lot of heart and commentator Mark Wilson was quick to point it out. John couldn't buy a roll early but Mark noted that John made every kick and stayed in the match mentally. When the luck turned, John ran a four-pack and made the one in the side on six consecutive breaks, gaining a 9-6 lead. At 10-7, John had Oscar snookered but Oscar jumped in a ball, ran out and then snapped the nine for 10-9. Hennessee prevailed, but both of these fine players fought to the end.

This is pretty cool stuff!