Break Tip shootout! Taom, Hammerhead, Zento, and more.

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
I ordered a hammerhead with the glue that comes with it.

Anything special about installation you would like to share with me? I normally use this lathe (http://www.midamericapool.com/index_files/Page321.htm ) to do my tip work. I would chop off my BK3 original tip, leaving the black part on and then glue the tip using the glue sold with the hammerhead.

Then I would trim down the extra using the lathe's tool and sand paper finish it on the sides and finally, round the tip to my taste.

What do you think?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taom

Just a data point: a friend put a taom break tip on his breaker and his cue is now leaving marks as described by the OP. I wouldn't let him break on my table with that cue.

SQB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please keep an eye on the new "sure SPC".
It's a tip with a very high griplevel and no visible wear out after months of play.

We are currently searching for product tester here on the main forum. I would be happy if the reviewer of this thread would take part and post his experience according to the break tips than.

Grant you would be delighted having it on your mobley.

Cheers

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a hammerhead with the glue that comes with it.

Anything special about installation you would like to share with me? I normally use this lathe (http://www.midamericapool.com/index_files/Page321.htm ) to do my tip work. I would chop off my BK3 original tip, leaving the black part on and then glue the tip using the glue sold with the hammerhead.

Then I would trim down the extra using the lathe's tool and sand paper finish it on the sides and finally, round the tip to my taste.

What do you think?

All you say sounds good. I would recommend leaving as much of the carbon fiber pad as possible on there. Also, the number one thing is really making sure that the surface you will mount the tip to is very very flat. I know people have had success with the glue that comes with the Hammerhead. My personal experience is that the Gorilla Glue liquid CA glue is even better. It seems to work well if I don't use too much. I will put a few drops on the tip and then smear it onto the back of a piece of sandpaper, so that it just leaves a thin coating of glue on the tip. Seems to work very well this way.

Let me know how it goes!

KMRUNOUT

SQB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KMRUNOUT

tried to contact you via PN.

Your message box is loaded it says.

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
Please keep an eye on the new "sure SPC".
It's a tip with a very high griplevel and no visible wear out after months of play.

We are currently searching for product tester here on the main forum. I would be happy if the reviewer of this thread would take part and post his experience according to the break tips than.

Grant you would be delighted having it on your mobley.

Cheers

I'd be happy to test it out!

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this review. I ordered a hammerhead tip for my Mezz

Great to hear. I really like it. I'm still using one and still very happy. I've installed several more and seem to have pretty much perfected the install. No issues!

Let me know how it is!

KMRUNOUT

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great to hear. I really like it. I'm still using one and still very happy. I've installed several more and seem to have pretty much perfected the install. No issues!

Let me know how it is!

KMRUNOUT

tell me about your install

I have some of the Special T glue with the spray accelerator. No lathe just hand shaper

CMB1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put Hammerheads on both my Mobley M22 & BK3 break cues, and Air2 and Larry Miller Dymond Wood Jump Cues. The only cue that doesn't work well with the Hammerhead is the Marty Carey Jump Q. That cue is very light and it requires the very hard G10 tip that comes with it. I tried putting a Hammerhead on top of the G10 tip and it started chipping away. I had to remove it and go back to the G10 tip.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Let me know how it is!

KMRUNOUT

I was only rated an APA 4 when I played 3 years ago so I don't have a great review with a lot of facts. I had a cue maker do the install and it went fine and stayed on not problem. I have it on my new Mezz PB Kai. I am very happy with the hit on the break. The 8 ball break spreads them all across the table. It is easy to miss cue trying any english like on an 8 ball on the break shot, so I stay on center.

Weird thing is after a couple of dozen breaks I have a small round chip about a 1/8-1/16" chip about 1/16" in from the edge.It's like a small flake popped off. The instructions say do not use a standard shaper like the cube . What do I use to sand out the chip?

Last edited:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I drank the kool aid & cut a near new Samsara off to try a Taom & was underwhelmed.

Then tried the Hammerhead which was ok but a little low in height when new for my liking.

In the end I went back to the Samsara & will stand pat there. Tips are such a subjective item, I can see why some would like either of the 2 I tried but in the end, for me, I like Samsara's leather tip giving me the best of both worlds for power & control. JMO/YMMV.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the write-up Kerry, I have a hammerhead tip that Chris gave to my son at SBE a couple of years back, I'll have to put that one now to play with it, it's just been sitting in my case all this time.

Outsville is one of the few companies I can fully stand behind, not just the quality of the product but for the company itself. Chris has a lot of posts on here explaining some technical things about tips and chalk which made me really start to like the guy. And then I tried one of the tips, was blown away by it. Icing on the cake was when I visited his area at SBE and we were chatting about things, when I told him about my son playing he started grabbing stuff to give to me for him to use :thumbup: I did buy a rack and I think a tip from him while there, but ended up with like an extra $50 worth of stuff as gifts.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The chip got bigger today.

20170116_144114-1.jpg

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drank the kool aid & cut a near new Samsara off to try a Taom & was underwhelmed.

Then tried the Hammerhead which was ok but a little low in height when new for my liking.

In the end I went back to the Samsara & will stand pat there. Tips are such a subjective item, I can see why some would like either of the 2 I tried but in the end, for me, I like Samsara's leather tip giving me the best of both worlds for power & control. JMO/YMMV.

I agree the Hammerheads should come a little taller when new. At least for the purpose of handling them when they have glue on them lol.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums