Cf

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any of you aiming guys switch over to the carbon fiber shafts? Results or opinions about them?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any of you aiming guys switch over to the carbon fiber shafts? Results or opinions about them?

Haven't switch, and I don't plan to. I used a buddy's cf shaft and found that it played exactly like my Mezz ld shaft.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not me but I have tried Revo and BE when I had them here for repair.
They do squirt the cue ball less than maple . Maybe a little less that regular Pred 314. I've had maybe 6-7 here for repair. Re-tips and re-plug/re-thread.
I have yet to see one that is really straight. They all seem to have a little roll on them. Some have spun really wild on the lathe. I was expecting them to roll really true.
A soft tip on them really makes them dead feeling.

Since I'm a wood tinkerer, I made me two reduced end-mass shafts too.
One with carbon fiber tube at the end and one just drilled ( bigger hole than the 314's hole ) with paper micarta ferrule and carbon fiber backing.
The one with carbon fiber tube hits crisper but the deflection reduction isn't much.
The drilled hole only has a lot less cue ball squirt. I can allow a little deflection on an almost straight in shot with the OB frozen on the #2 diamond of the side rail and cue ball about 40 inches away ( one ball away from being frozen ) and get the cue ball go forward and spin to the opposite #3 diamond.
The thing is if you want to really take advantage of the low deflection on heavy english shots, you will need a longer and looser bridge. Not hard to learn but it is that way. If you bridge short, you're impeding the tip from deflecting off the cue ball .
But, I think CF shafts are here to stay. They are ugly to me . I cannot see it peripherally .
Because they squirt the cue ball a lot less, your inside english shots might have to be aimed a differently ( on short distances ). They grab the ball a lot more than they deflect off the tip.

stockbob55

Registered
cf

I have not switched nor do I intend to at the moment.
I've been allowing for deflection for years and it has become part of my game.
I think that Josh Filler switched to CF and then went back.
James Aranas is trying out a CF Mezz.

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not switched nor do I intend to at the moment.
I've been allowing for deflection for years and it has become part of my game.
I think that Josh Filler switched to CF and then went back.
James Aranas is trying out a CF Mezz.
James played with a mezz before he used the SW.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not me but I have tried Revo and BE when I had them here for repair.
They do squirt the cue ball less than maple . Maybe a little less that regular Pred 314. I've had maybe 6-7 here for repair. Re-tips and re-plug/re-thread.
I have yet to see one that is really straight. They all seem to have a little roll on them. Some have spun really wild on the lathe. I was expecting them to roll really true.
A soft tip on them really makes them dead feeling.

Since I'm a wood tinkerer, I made me two reduced end-mass shafts too.
One with carbon fiber tube at the end and one just drilled ( bigger hole than the 314's hole ) with paper micarta ferrule and carbon fiber backing.
The one with carbon fiber tube hits crisper but the deflection reduction isn't much.
The drilled hole only has a lot less cue ball squirt. I can allow a little deflection on an almost straight in shot with the OB frozen on the #2 diamond of the side rail and cue ball about 40 inches away ( one ball away from being frozen ) and get the cue ball go forward and spin to the opposite #3 diamond.
The thing is if you want to really take advantage of the low deflection on heavy english shots, you will need a longer and looser bridge. Not hard to learn but it is that way. If you bridge short, you're impeding the tip from deflecting off the cue ball .
But, I think CF shafts are here to stay. They are ugly to me . I cannot see it peripherally .
Because they squirt the cue ball a lot less, your inside english shots might have to be aimed a differently ( on short distances ). They grab the ball a lot more than they deflect off the tip.

Thanks Joey, That's some good insight.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Been playing with a Cynergy for about three months...can't put it down. I loved and played with Gulyassy SPTX shafts for years, and this seems to play better for me. Not that it improves anything that massively, but I ENJOY playing with it more, if that makes sense. I'll buy another at some point in case I need a tip replacement in the middle of a session...but not sure I need to. :)

I frankly feel they hit better and more consistently than any maple shaft I've shot with in the past 30 years...IMHO.