Fixing American Pool by forming the NBL (National Billiards League) & PBA Tour!!!

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Facebook..........I don’t do Facebook......got a real web site for this?

Oh and as someone pointed out.....this has nothing to do with growing pool. Nothing.

Just another pool tournament idea.

Growing pool is getting new people to play pool.....not just another tournament idea.

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh and as someone pointed out.....this has nothing to do with growing pool. Nothing.

Growing pool is getting new people to play pool.....not just another tournament idea.

1st Off, I'm not wanting an argument. I see the tournaments as where the competition fun & money is, for a lot of players that don't do "Heads Up Gambling". In Heads up play, there's only one winner, tournaments pay out to different levels & there is a lot of camaraderie . The Tournaments are the FLASH for Pool, where the Grandstanders show their stuff. Folks are dressed up & it's a festive mood. That arena can be enticing for those that don't play.

Secondly, if you are want to entice the younger crowd, do like Dallas & other towns in Texas are doing... through the BEF, get it started in the High Schools. That organization even gets Moms & Dads into the fray....
See https://www.billiardeducation.org/

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Just had another new player sign up for league, a couple of youngsters crossing over from rodeo...
...they like competition

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Sure it doesn't address the underlying problem but it does help promote the
sport, just not at the grassroots level where the largest problem is.

Rarely does anyone in anything prefer to address the base problem because usually that is a very long fix and
requires a lot of things to happen that would be near impossible to arrange for one person.

Any attempt at making Pool better is a help and this sounds like at least we would have a system dedicated to helping Pool
and not just another APA type thing. That's a huge step in the right direction. You have to work with what's available.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Most sucessful sports that are both good for players, spectators, advertisers, owners etc., are under on brand. NASCAR, NHRA, PGA, LPGA, NFL, PRCA, and list goes on.

The first obstacle in Pool is the giving up of power from the people who run TAP, BCAPL, BCA, ACA, etc. These little big fish each have their ponds they are king fish of.

I do not see any give up what they control for the good of Pool, it's all about the money they make.

JMHO

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Most sucessful sports that are both good for players, spectators, advertisers, owners etc., are under on brand. NASCAR, NHRA, PGA, LPGA, NFL, PRCA, and list goes on.

The first obstacle in Pool is the giving up of power from the people who run TAP, BCAPL, BCA, ACA, etc. These little big fish each have their ponds they are king fish of.

I do not see any give up what they control for the good of Pool, it's all about the money they make.

JMHO

No but if this man's idea takes hold and provides a good service to these same players, then a player organization is born.

From the platform of a player organization a lot can be done ex. the post where I went into how little money it would take per player per year to
put the funds together to do a Pro Tour of some kind.

If a person had a longer view on this some of that money could go into forming a Pool Trust that would hold funds in the market in a foundation
and pool could become self funding but all of this has to start somewhere. It won't happen overnight. If it comes to my bar I'm supporting it if I'm
going to play league pool and the owner doesn't want to run house leagues anymore.

Right now we have a great house league where I play and I'll play it occasionally. I do however prefer to just get together with people and play for hours on end.

Everything in pool contributes to pool.

If this man pulls this off and from what I'm seeing I think he can, it would be a great addition to Pool.

Last edited:

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member

As I keep saying, I welcome all devil's advocates and points of view, your responses often make me wonder if you've read ANY of the previous posts or original post at all to formulate an opinion or was it just assumptions from thin air?

The NBL pro tour formula is just the 1st step of MANY facets to address in moving forward to FIX what isn't working for our industry here in the US but DOES work in other billiard industries around the world. Someone else came up with "growing" pool. We ALREADY have over a million people in America that play pool & over 200,000 avid "pool players" that compete regularly but we barely reach out to 1% of them to be organized and unified under one umbrella entity representing or promoting all others in the United States. WE are ANYTHING BUT united.

FIRST, we have to create the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that up and coming youngsters in the game can aspire to.

THEN we can groom them properly for success in a self sustaining industry that actually has promise and a lucrative future to offer them.

We already have the BEF which does great things for the juniors however it is very difficult in the sense of inaccessibility as well as monetarily non feasible for juniors and their parents to get involved. Same goes for the women who until this year have several sotps once again on the WPBA tour. The NBL is creating the PBA Tour right away for men, women and juniors to have 4 big events a year they can all have a chance at cashing in.

With a network of 32 locations around the country, Mom & Dad can simply drive junior to a local stage 1 event and earn funding to the next big event the BEF orchestrates for them. Same as the pros and aspiring avid players. As of now, once a player turns 19, they have to chase 5th place in major events to break even on their venture - not very promising.

There is a whole lot more (too much to type) about programs in schools, after school programs, a ladder structure to welcome, train, promote and sponsor current and next generation players.

Please READ all posts, LISTEN to the video and THEN give your input. I'll be going live through Instagram next (another venue of communication to our youth) and Facebook next Wednesday at 8pm again to recap the pro tour structure and ease of accessibility, all industry leaders involved and so forth as well as the presentation, plans on gaining mainstream viewership, generating funds for the women, for the BEF, and others and so forth. The broadcasting technology being incorporated, the format of the stage 1 events and 4 quarterly events on the circuit, life necessities being worked on such as 401K's, dental, vision and a group health plan for all registered players at all levels, etc.

MORE THAN JUST TOURNAMENTS! Billiards Academies, 3 Divisions under Professionals, points systems, uniforms, television, etc.

To get the youth's attention, we must reach out to them through social media which is what they use; SnapChat mostly, then Instagram and even FACEBOOK (which is for "old people" now as my son tells me.)

For those that "don't do Facebook" but still want to magically reach out, connect with and entice the youth that DO, here is the live video uploaded to Youtube spoon fed to you with just one click of this link. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VIMngzpsEo

Attachments

• 89687954_706165459922649_4236571383045292032_n.jpg
    89687954_706165459922649_4236571383045292032_n.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member

JMHO

DING DING DING!!!! NASCAR, NHRA, PGA, LPGA, PRCA, NFL, NHL and now NBL!

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Thank you 336Robin!

No but if this man's idea takes hold and provides a good service to these same players, then a player organization is born.

From the platform of a player organization a lot can be done ex. the post where I went into how little money it would take per player per year to
put the funds together to do a Pro Tour of some kind.

If a person had a longer view on this some of that money could go into forming a Pool Trust that would hold funds in the market in a foundation
and pool could become self funding but all of this has to start somewhere. It won't happen overnight. If it comes to my bar I'm supporting it if I'm
going to play league pool and the owner doesn't want to run house leagues anymore.

Right now we have a great house league where I play and I'll play it occasionally. I do however prefer to just get together with people and play for hours on end.

Everything in pool contributes to pool.

If this man pulls this off and from what I'm seeing I think he can, it would be a great addition to Pool.

Thank you for your positive feedback and support 336Robin!

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DING DING DING!!!! NASCAR, NHRA, PGA, LPGA, PRCA, NFL, NHL and now NBL!

I can see the comparison lol , None of the others are supported by other leagues , the APA the granddaddy of amateur pool posted there will be no stoppage in weekly play because of concerns of the corana virus clearly they only care about thier botttom dollar
I highly doubt they give up anything other than some sponsorship to a select couple of pro pool players,
All the above live off big TV contracts and paid attendances its highly unlikely pool will ever achieve the same it's simply not a spectator sport in person on TV or online
Match room is by far the best chance to get higher paying events I'll still claim that they are really hopping to bring gambling back to pool , if that doesn't happen the future is bleak

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, but if we could just work around that...

That'd be great..lol
I can see the comparison lol , None of the others are supported by other leagues , the APA the granddaddy of amateur pool posted there will be no stoppage in weekly play because of concerns of the corana virus clearly they only care about thier botttom dollar
I highly doubt they give up anything other than some sponsorship to a select couple of pro pool players,
All the above live off big TV contracts and paid attendances its highly unlikely pool will ever achieve the same it's simply not a spectator sport in person on TV or online
Match room is by far the best chance to get higher paying events I'll still claim that they are really hopping to bring gambling back to pool , if that doesn't happen the future is bleak

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member

AGREED! We don't ASK them for monetary support or involvement. We build something that only benefits them!

With a network of 32 locations all across the US and a platform to launch advertisement campaigns and solicit advertisers to take advantage of what we are putting together that will have MORE broadcasting power than any 1 television station can offer them we THEN offer all these amateur bar leagues and organizations the OPPORTUNITY to advertise THEIR BRAND or local chapter or county on all of our streams, ads & players by simply SPONSORING THEIR OWN top players into a local qualifier for a mere $150/player. THEIR patch will carry over from the qualifier their player wins into the main event and they will get all the exposure from there as well at a fraction of the cost of a radio or television commercial AND this is TARGETED to pool players all across America and even beyond with foreign viewers.

That will put them in a position to give a little BACK to their own players and support them (doesn't look good if they don't) and also get a great deal of advertisement and exposure out of it.

It's a win win. You follow? :wink:

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch some of this...or skip to 4:40

As has been said many times. American pool is dead in the water until the game fundamentally changes. You can keep rearranging chairs on the Titanic but it still sinks.

I play with about 90 players. I doubt if 3 or 4 could name a pro player. I wouldn’t go watch pro 9 ball if given a free ticket..why watch it..,yawn.

It’s the product. It’s fun to play but why watch?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUp27VKnkWE

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Watch some of this...or skip to 4:40

As has been said many times. American pool is dead in the water until the game fundamentally changes. You can keep rearranging chairs on the Titanic but it still sinks.

I play with about 90 players. I doubt if 3 or 4 could name a pro player. I wouldn’t go watch pro 9 ball if given a free ticket..why watch it..,yawn.

It’s the product. It’s fun to play but why watch?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUp27VKnkWE

I actually sat with Garreth over coffee in China during a JOY ICEA Chinese 8-Ball event discussing what works and doesn't work for English 8-ball in Europe as well as what we liked and thought could be improved upon in the Chinese 8-Ball event as well (not much needed there to be honest) they do a lot of great things and done right in Asia which makes it marketable and thriving there which gets the support from the government, the banks and other outside industries.

There is a whole plan for how this is to be broadcast AND edited for general public viewing and packaged for local and even international television. Premature to discuss at this time.

By the way, the disciplines for these events will alternate between 10-Ball and 8-Ball. Both intentional shot games. One that the players want more of out there which displays power shots and rotation play while the other is the most played and understood game on the planet which all can easily follow and understand as it displays pattern play and safety strategy.

Right now, we are still building (interviewing and sanctioning TD's & Venues) in order to kickoff with the first stage 1 qualifier on Jan 10th, 2021. The 2nd qualifier will be in Feb 2021 and our 1st quarterly main event in March.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
We (at our bar) were in the midst of a weekly ongoing tournament in which
we played 10-ball which was call shot, call safety and give the shot back on non
safety shots and everyone really seemed to like it but I'm not sure how well it would
be to watch. It definitely gave the better safety shooter an advantage.

I actually sat with Garreth over coffee in China during a JOY ICEA Chinese 8-Ball event discussing what works and doesn't work for English 8-ball in Europe as well as what we liked and thought could be improved upon in the Chinese 8-Ball event as well (not much needed there to be honest) they do a lot of great things and done right in Asia which makes it marketable and thriving there which gets the support from the government, the banks and other outside industries.

There is a whole plan for how this is to be broadcast AND edited for general public viewing and packaged for local and even international television. Premature to discuss at this time.

By the way, the disciplines for these events will alternate between 10-Ball and 8-Ball. Both intentional shot games. One that the players want more of out there which displays power shots and rotation play while the other is the most played and understood game on the planet which all can easily follow and understand as it displays pattern play and safety strategy.

Right now, we are still building (interviewing and sanctioning TD's & Venues) in order to kickoff with the first stage 1 qualifier on Jan 10th, 2021. The 2nd qualifier will be in Feb 2021 and our 1st quarterly main event in March.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
SASS the Single Action Scooting Society has been around about 25 plus years. One of the reason the sport is so popular is the people who run it listen to members wants. Make changes based upon members input.

Severall years ago they add Wild Bunch Matches, today Wild Bunch match has help build interest & SASS Membership.

We host their Winter Range Shoot in PHX, AZ annually. They never have problem filling up the shoot, the problem is saying no to those who registered too late. Sorry we are full, try next year.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Only 7 more openings!!!

The NBL now has 22 sanctioned locations and tour directors on board out of the target 32 locations to host stage 1 qualifiers into the 4 quarterly main events.
(3 more locations are also currently in the works)

2021 will be our kickoff season and we plan on coming out strong in force!

Locations will be announced here, on Facebook, Instagram and upcoming live streams.

Stay tuned and get in stroke!

COVID19 pandemic will be over by Jan. 2021.

A location near you will be available to practice and qualify through.

You'll have TWO chances to get in, once in January and again in February,

The 1st quarterly event will be a 10-Ball competition in March 2021.

NO EXCUSES! :thumbup:

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Progress status promo video

For those of you that don’t do Facebook, here is a link to YouTube for an entertaining little NBL status report/promo video. Enjoy! Be ready as we will be at a location near you!!!

https://youtu.be/8UUc87lH8vg

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem isnt the "game hobby or sport" it's the players.. you want evidence? Watch the players in your hometown complain about prices bottles of water, food etc. Etc. Than they attempt to bring their own in or stop else where before they come in. Expect to play for free the list goes on.. or simply go back through all the comments of those who clearly didnt read or watch any of the videos of the outlined plan of action by ed and associates. Not trying to hurt feelings here but the problem is the players always has been always will be.

It’s not up to me to support a bar or pool hall, it’s up to the establishment to cater to my needs. I’m the customer. What product or service is being offered to ‘me’ to have me part with my money?

I don’t drink and have never eaten greasy bar food. It’s the same with many of our league members. Many of our members are quite well off and not skinflints. A pool hall is a business and the owner needs to be creative. Alcohol and unhealthy food just won’t make me or many others part with their money.