Do you ever see players placing their Cigarette on the rail before shooting?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I figure if you're not smart enough not to smoke, you certainly aren't going to be smart or considerate enough not to put a cigarette on the rail.

:eek:uttahere:

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I smoke (need to quit), and I’m glad smoking is a thing of the past with pool. Who remembers burn marks and ash all over in the cloth and rails (everything for that matter), slow dirty balls and cloth with a gross film all over them, your hand turning black after 10 minutes of play, and the overall smelliness you took home with you. Not to mention this was in the days before purpose built air filtration systems and you could barely see because the lingering smoke was so bad. If I need to smoke I’m happy to head to the outdoor smoking area.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Geeze we used to be pigs. I shot pool James Dean style with a cigarette in my mouth, smoke up my nose and in my eyes, ashes on the table. Thought I was cool, but was disgusting! My biggest decision in life was Marlboro man or Joe Camel. Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did for myself.

My dad insisted on smoking everywhere. My aunt hated smoking. She invited us to her brand new house and somehow he dropped a cigarette under a card table, left it there, and it burnt a 3 inch hole in her white carpet. I wanted to die as she screamed in horror.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maha, good point, glad I stopped. mikemosconi, did you ever play in Joe's Last Chance Saloon, late sixties, in Blauvelt, NY? That was the barpool hangout of mine. Quarter beer, quarter game.
An interesting drive back to Jersey.

No I did not go to Rockland County in the 60s, Just local Westchester NY & the Bronx. Loved those 25 cent beers in the bars with pool tables back then! Yes, games were a quarter too!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pearl river, nanuet, suffrin all around rockland county. thats where you went to cause the drinking age was 18 and 21 in n.j each town might have one action bar. toby came from around nanuet area.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love those old tables with ashtray. Very cool.

The local private club where I sometimes play has one of those tables. Even though smoking IS allowed there, laying down a burning butt anywhere on the table would get you instantly thrown out.
I grew up playing on old Schmitt tables with wooden rails, and though nearly everyone in the poolroom smoked back then, putting a burn mark on the rail would not make you popular with the proprietor! I remember when I first encountered Brunswick tables (in a sleazier room) with formica rails, and was surprised to see the greasy burn mark left when you laid your butt down and forgot it, would pretty much wipe right off!

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker club in brooklyn, 2019

Try smoking over the table and he’ll kill you

Attachments

• C4691AC3-55E5-4E72-8432-E869640EF2F3.jpg
    C4691AC3-55E5-4E72-8432-E869640EF2F3.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 124

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
... laying down a burning butt anywhere on the table would get you instantly thrown out. ...

That's how it was here back when smoking was permitted. Smoking over the tables was also forbidden, same for putting a drink on the rail or bed of a table. Maybe one warning but the boot if that behaviour continued.

Dave

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was from the metal on the Gold Crowns

You will get that metal "stripe" on every table in Brian's. When I first noticed it, i did not know what was causing it, but I eventually figured it out.

After that, I always take damp paper towels and wipe down that metal to get the tarnish off of it and I don't get it as much anymore.