pinning

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could mean intentionally fouling via double hit the CB against the pocket facing to corner hook the opponent. Very common in one pocket.

Could also mean a high miscue where the CB gets trapped under ferrule on the follow through.

Those are my guesses without any context given:)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's a meaningless cool-sounding word to impress the clueless. You can tell because "you can't see it and it's too hard to explain with words".

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I believe it's just hitting the CB exactly where the shot calls for, with the correct part of the tip and at the perfect speed........and all this makes a distinct "pinning" sound.
Once you choose the spot on the CB you want to hit, the part of the tip you'll use is a given - you don't have a choice.

So "pinning" just means hitting the right spot at the right speed - in other words, it means nothing new or unusual.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Once you choose the spot on the CB you want to hit, the part of the tip you'll use is a given - you don't have a choice.

pj
chgo

With the minor exception that cue elevation effects the part of the tip that contacts the CB.

Personally, I just try to make sure I hit the CB. Has anyone ever "whiffed"? Strike one!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo
bdorman:
With the minor exception that cue elevation effects the part of the tip that contacts the CB.
That makes sense, but the cue's angle (like the contact spot and speed) is also determined by what you want to do to the CB, so there's really no choice there either.

Personally, I just try to make sure I hit the CB. Has anyone ever "whiffed"? Strike one!
lol

You'll never get a confession out of me.

pj
chgo

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Pinning is using the edge or shoulder of the tip to strike the cueball... Cueing angle and control of the cue to hold an incline or decline as it moves on plane are requirements... It definitely exists and has been discussed before... It was around before CJ so if you have a CJ bias be aware it predates him.....

There have been zero studies on if this is effective or even changes anything so anything along those lines will be opinions.....

I could see that since the edge/shoulder is generally harder than the rest of the tip that possibly there is a smaller contact patch created which would allow for the tip to act like a harder as far as energy transfer but no way to know without tests.....

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.Efren's cue sometimes sounds like it's broken sometimes he does it so well.

Heard the term but no explanation.
What exactly is "pinning" the ball.

Pinning is a slang term that we "Road Players" used to describe when someone was accelerating the edge of their tip precisely at impact.

This is not easy, and requires some diligence and training. It's very difficult to see this happening, however, you can hear it distinctly.

Listen to Buddy Hall, Efren Reyes, Earl Strickland, or myself and you can hear a higher pitched sound at contact......Efren's cue sometimes sounds like it's broken sometimes he does it so well.

The tip will make a difference in this sound of course, although it will still have a distinctly higher pitched sound even if your tip is soft, or medium.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
using the edge of the tip for PINNING is the same principle as in Martial Arts

I'm thinking you will need a very sharp pin !!!

:D

:yeah:

A sharp, controlled pin would be ideal! ;)

Yes, it is controlled, the wrist must release down (like the descending blow of a hammer or axe) to keep the tip on that same angle.

If the tip goes up at all (after cue-ball contact) you can't create the 'Pinning Effect' - using the edge of the tip for PINNING is the same principle as using the first two knuckles punching in Martial Arts.....those two knuckles create much more of a precise, penetrating contact than the entire fist (or tip in the pool analogy).......the edge of the tip is what the game is played with for the most part. 'the GAME is the teacher'

foreknuckle_punch.jpg

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pinning is a slang term that we "Road Players" used to describe when someone was accelerating the edge of their tip precisely at impact.

This is not easy, and requires some diligence and training. It's very difficult to see this happening, however, you can hear it distinctly. ...Efren's cue sometimes sounds like it's broken sometimes he does it so well....

So far, NO explanation of the word "pinning", has made the least bit of sense to me !..Especially as related to the 'sound' it makes..(even among "Road Players")..That is absurd !..I do not recall it ever being a word, commonly used to describe ANYTHING related to stroking, or striking a cue ball !..I do, for sure, know what it means in 'wrestling'! (or maybe martial arts too, I guess :rolleyes:)

PS..Just like a putt in golf, doesn't the phrase "well struck" cover all the superlatives necessary, without inventing words that have NO real meaning whatsoever ? :confused:

Last edited: