Cortland wrap available

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guido has found some Cortland Linen wrap. Anybody wanting that, can contact him. 906-542-7069

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
" Yes,
PLEASE,
Send me 500 of the JUMBO/INDUSTRIAL SPOOLS,
" I can provide shipping by plane or tugboat,

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad we can't have a post, that clowns have to be a part of. This was a service offered by a quality Custom Cue Maker that happened upon some needed materials...

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called him about it today he leaves Monday and won't be back for awhile, going to tournaments. I asked him if it was the old orginal number 9. He said it was old.

He calls me back 10 min later asking me what number 9 means.
He also gave me 2 different prices first was 175 to do it, then we talk for a few and then he says well let's see where we're at
he starts adding it all up and now he goes up 100 on it wants 300 or 325. Which is fine if he really sure he has Courtland but then he tells me he's leaving for a week or maybe 3 or 4 he's not sure.

Sorry but can't mail out my cue if he's not home I told him, he said that's fine he call me when he gets back but he told me he lives in a small town and my cue be safe at the post office that they hold it for him. Lol

I told him couple horror stories of people from AZ losing cues from post office and that the no way I let it sit their.

All in all seems like nice guy but I don't know if he even knows if he has Cortland 9 plus he's not ready for any cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad we can't have a post, that clowns have to be a part of. This was a service offered by a quality Custom Cue Maker that happened upon some needed materials...

Yeah...and it got bumped by us clowns.

Use your noodle, we ain't the enemy. ;)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A picture should be posted, otherwise he doesn't have Cortland

I held off on going there.....but you went there. True enough, many Cortland alarms are false.

Respectfully, if it was Guido posting I would agree, lets see pics.

But this was just a heads up with a phone number...I'll let it stand without a pic...call and ask Guido.

But...you asked for pics...lets see if we get some.

Oh...OP: This clown just bumped your thread again.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
A picture should be posted, otherwise he doesn't have Cortland

True. Cortland has a very distinct look, light, but fairly bright green strand, and very white on the other strands when new. Both dull after use.

The imitations are pretty vast, and current linen doesn't come close to the look, especially when new. Pictures would help.

All the best,
WW

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just Be Sure To Confirm Quality or a Refund If Unacceptable..

Not only is Cortland truly distinct in appearance, texture & feel but be careful about line quality.

True story......I searched for >3 years for Cortland Linen #12 (white w/ black speck) because
I was having a few custom cues made that I designed with Cortland Linen #12 in mind. Well, I
ran threads on Az. I even went so far as to offer a $50 finders fee and a price of $200 but never
even got a nibble. Then one day Martin at Superior Cues lets me know that a cue-maker might
have some old inventory that includes just what I want.

I contact the cue-maker and sure enough, he only wanted $75 for 50 yards of CL#12.....the real
stuff. I told him he was pricing it too low and I would pay up to $200 since that's what I posted on
Az. Rick was so nice and declined so I said I'd pay $125 shipped directly to Jerry Rauenzahn for
a cue that was underway. It was already too late to get used for the cue Bob Owen was making
me at that time but I was just delighted to finally get what I worked my ass off to locate.

Jerry gets the Cortland Linen #12 and it is authentic per Jerry. The 50 yds had been taken off a
400 yds spool and Jerry confirmed it was genuine. There's a catch though and jerry found that after
removing about 10 -12 yards which looked fine, the rmainder of the line was unusable and was
dried out & badly frayed. There was nothing he could do to restore or rejuvenate it despite trying.

He asked me what I wanted to do and so I asked if he had some CL#9 and he said he had a small
amount saved for special cues. So I bought 100 yards since he was making me two pool cues and
I abandoned all hope of finding CL#12. And for the cue Bob Owen was making for me, Martin found
me a deluxe elephant belly leather wrap that is absolutely amazing but Cortland is still my favorite.

Matt B.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called him about it today he leaves Monday and won't be back for awhile, going to tournaments. I asked him if it was the old orginal number 9. He said it was old.

Yeah.

Contrary to popular belief cue makers, even the old ones that have "been around", don't always know what we think or hope they know.

With what we just heard, I really think we need proof this is Cortland #9.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better Double Check.......

Ask the seller for more firm corroboration this is Cortland, especially at this price.
Have him send you some closeup photos of the line on the spool.......Caveat Emptor.

The 3 middle wraps in the photos are Cortland Linen #9 (white w/green speck).

I am not sure the # reference for this 50 yds spool of Cortland Line I have but it is
certainly Cortland Linen, new, leftover stock that I stumbled actross by sheer luck.

Matt B.

Attachments

• Cue Wraps (Az).jpg
    Cue Wraps (Az).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 582
  • Cortland Linen (10 lb) Az (2).jpg
    Cortland Linen (10 lb) Az (2).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 573
  • Cortland Linen (10 lb) Az (4).jpg
    Cortland Linen (10 lb) Az (4).jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 589
  • Cortland Linen #10 (Brown Speck).jpg
    Cortland Linen #10 (Brown Speck).jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 616

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey folks, you won't find a more honest person than Guido Orlandi. Plus he's a very good cue maker. This stuff is new to him, I'm the one that posted the possibility of it being available. I believe it was sold to him as being Cortland Linen, so we'll get the information off the spools & make sure. He measured the line & it is .025 in diameter. In the picture above , the spooled linen is spelled Cortline, The real stuff is spelled Cortland, it was 27 lb test line & "9" was the number of strands in the woven line.

QUOTE Cortland being the largest manufacturer of fishing line at the time was the most popular choice, it came in black, dark green, tan and white with green specks.

The line was braided from X number of strands depending on the pound test rating.

Cortland 9 strand was rated at 27 lb test (3 lb per strand) and measures about .025" in diameter, this diameter became the most popular choice. I've seen cues with thinner diameter, probably 7 strand.

Cortland stopped production in 1976 and Penn continued making it for a few more years - Gus Szamboti used Penn after Cortland stopped production.

These braided lines were also made and used by cuemakers in dacron, nylon and silk.

The advantage to fishing line is its consistency in diameter and uniformity of the green specks. It had to be perfect as they made it by the mile and spooled it on spools from 50 yards and up. It couldn't be 27 lb test at one point and a lesser rating at another point. UNQUOTE

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey folks, you won't find a more honest person than Guido Orlandi. Plus he's a very good cue maker. This stuff is new to him, I'm the one that posted the possibility of it being available. I believe it was sold to him as being Cortland Linen, so we'll get the information off the spools & make sure. He measured the line & it is .025 in diameter. In the picture above , the spooled linen is spelled Cortline, The real stuff is spelled Cortland, it was 27 lb test line & "9" was the number of strands in the woven line.

QUOTE Cortland being the largest manufacturer of fishing line at the time was the most popular choice, it came in black, dark green, tan and white with green specks.

The line was braided from X number of strands depending on the pound test rating.

Cortland 9 strand was rated at 27 lb test (3 lb per strand) and measures about .025" in diameter, this diameter became the most popular choice. I've seen cues with thinner diameter, probably 7 strand.

Cortland stopped production in 1976 and Penn continued making it for a few more years - Gus Szamboti used Penn after Cortland stopped production.

These braided lines were also made and used by cuemakers in dacron, nylon and silk.

The advantage to fishing line is its consistency in diameter and uniformity of the green specks. It had to be perfect as they made it by the mile and spooled it on spools from 50 yards and up. It couldn't be 27 lb test at one point and a lesser rating at another point. UNQUOTE

So ur saying the above pictures of the stuff called courtline is not real Courtland?
I ask cause I'm not sure. But I think Matt has done alot of research on this.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

He also gave me 2 different prices first was 175 to do it, then we talk for a few and then he says well let's see where we're at
he starts adding it all up and now he goes up 100 on it wants 300 or 325. Which is fine if he really sure he has Courtland but then he tells me he's leaving for a week or maybe 3 or 4 he's not sure.

Sorry but can't mail out my cue if he's not home I told him, he said that's fine he call me when he gets back but he told me he lives in a small town and my cue be safe at the post office that they hold it for him. Lol

I told him couple horror stories of people from AZ losing cues from post office and that the no way I let it sit their.

All in all seems like nice guy but I don't know if he even knows if he has Cortland 9 plus he's not ready for any cues.

Why not save the hassle and buy the wrap from him and then have local cuemaker install it. Why send the entire cue?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just called guido
He wont sell the linen alone unless you send him a cue for him to put the wrap on
At least thats what he told me when i asked for just the linen

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I just called guido
He wont sell the linen alone unless you send him a cue for him to put the wrap on

That seems odd. So, now you need to pay shipping for the cue back and forth, when he could just spend $4 to mail the linen? What a hassle. I mean, I'd pay a premium cause he's not getting the job, but why am I gonna mail my cue and risk all kinds of stuff happening? Seems silly.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just called guido

Yep he seems to want the work or so I thought.
He leaves Monday for a tournament in waterloo then said he probably going to
A tournament at Big Dogs billiards so he's going be gone for a while.

He did seem like nice older gentleman tho and he was honest about it so at
least he didn't have me mail my cue lol

Last edited: