Blackball in America

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody play BlackBall in America. I know they play BlackBall in the UK, Ireland & Australia. Do they play 9 Ball with the BlackBall equipment..?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
D ... Do they play 9 Ball with the BlackBall equipment..?
Which red ball is lowest?:p

In Australia the nine ball players use American-style tables, I'm pretty sure. The same is true in the UK. I've played on Tony Drago's 9-foot table which was at a pool/snooker/blackball room in London.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which red ball is lowest?:p

In Australia the nine ball players use American-style tables, I'm pretty sure. The same is true in the UK. I've played on Tony Drago's 9-foot table which was at a pool/snooker/blackball room in London.

The Hurricane Room in Kings Cross!

Not sure how tight the pockets are, but they feel like snooker pockets after playing on one of the standard American tables there :)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think you’ll ever see American players using 2-shots after a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its all 8-ball. Brit/Euro 9b is almost always US-style on big tables. That's main reason they wear our asses out in the MC. They don't play bb 9ball at all.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Does anybody play BlackBall in America. I know they play BlackBall in the UK, Ireland & Australia. Do they play 9 Ball with the BlackBall equipment..?

No.

Blackball balls are even smaller than snooker balls, and the cueball is smaller even than that. Even for that size of ball the pockets are extremely tight, plus the rail height would be all wrong. There is one more problem with the pockets, they are shallow. Meaning that shots fired into the center pocket can be spit out again, by hitting the back wall and coming back out. With a pool ball every shot would have to rolled, even then the ball would not fit for most shots. It's a tight squeeze to get even the uk balls in along the rails.

Also, the tables are extremely small for the most part. There are some 8 footers here and there, but the common size is 7 foot, some are 6 foot.

If you want to play a challenging game of 9 ball, try Chinese 8 ball tables. The blackball tables cannot be used.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No.

Blackball balls are even smaller than snooker balls, and the cueball is smaller even than that. Even for that size of ball the pockets are extremely tight, plus the rail height would be all wrong. There is one more problem with the pockets, they are shallow. Meaning that shots fired into the center pocket can be spit out again, by hitting the back wall and coming back out. With a pool ball every shot would have to rolled, even then the ball would not fit for most shots. It's a tight squeeze to get even the uk balls in along the rails.

Also, the tables are extremely small for the most part. There are some 8 footers here and there, but the common size is 7 foot, some are 6 foot.

If you want to play a challenging game of 9 ball, try Chinese 8 ball tables. The blackball tables cannot be used.

Although it’s worth adding you can get 2” and/or 1 7/8” US style balls (I.e. colours, numbers etc.) if you have your own table.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With numbered balls ( rather than red and yellow, or blue and yellow) 9 ball can be played and it does happen. Not at all seriously though - to the extent that the likes of Melling, Appleton , Shaw and Boyes are often referred to as “9 ball players” by the U.K. pool community because “American pool” is played on “ 9 ball tables” regardless of whether the game is 8,9,10 ball or another variant.

To answer the OPs question, I am 100% certain that there are blackball (I.e English pool) tables in the US but they will be largely in the homes of rich folk on the west coast or in the north east with some kind of British or Irish or Australian or.... background and they will be there just because they can have them there and they will play on them once in a while. It’s probably only a matter of time though before they appear in one or two places where some serious action will take place.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
With numbered balls ( rather than red and yellow, or blue and yellow) 9 ball can be played and it does happen. Not at all seriously though - to the extent that the likes of Melling, Appleton , Shaw and Boyes are often referred to as “9 ball players” by the U.K. pool community because “American pool” is played on “ 9 ball tables” regardless of whether the game is 8,9,10 ball or another variant.

To answer the OPs question, I am 100% certain that there are blackball (I.e English pool) tables in the US but they will be largely in the homes of rich folk on the west coast or in the north east with some kind of British or Irish or Australian or.... background and they will be there just because they can have them there and they will play on them once in a while. It’s probably only a matter of time though before they appear in one or two places where some serious action will take place.

I played at a bar over 30 years ago in Toronto that had two Australian 6-footers..
..and I played on one in Preston UK....if you’re a golfer, it’s like going to minature golf.
....I hope it doesn’t take off in North America....it’s not much fun, IMO

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t think you’ll ever see American players using 2-shots after a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have no problem with it, the 2-shot deal from a foul, it almost cuts the ball in-hand
penalty in half for the offender, playing Black-Balled could be a little more costlier.

As far as using black balls (2-1/4) in 4-1/8 pockets for The Game is common in this
house, not a problem if one isn't having any issues with their shot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
black-balled ain't playing no 2foul put out pool!!!
:duck:

941B50FE-CEA3-42B4-AF6E-314C08CDC968.jpeg

————-