Mosconi Cup 2018 Commentary - Best Ever!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to write this post before...

I want to thank the Mosconi Cup producers for the 2018 event. In my opinion, the commentary during this event was the best I have ever heard, in ANY pool match, by ANY commentators, and by ANY promoter.

I apologize, I don't remember the names of the commentators.

Here is what I liked:
1. The voices of the commentators. One was a former coach and player of the European team. His accent was smooth and fun as an American viewer. The other guys were nice to hear their voice also. I know this is not something that you can change on a person, but there is such a thing as "TV voice", and the selection this year all had it.

2. The speaking turns of the commentators. What I mean here is they never talked on top of each other. They let the other guy speak and didn't interrupt him or talk over him.

3. The SILENCE of the commentators. They did not talk all that much. They let the game do the talking. Its ok to hear the sounds of the players and the balls from time to time.

4. WHAT the commentators talked about when they did talk. They rarely talked about how to go from the 3 to the 4 to the 5. Instead, they talked more about what the player might be feeling in his head and his heart at this moment. Or the importance of making a particular shot in the rack. Or if they missed a similar shot a few games ago and might be thinking of that miss in their head. Or what the head-to-head record is between the two players at the table. They talked about ideas and emotions much more than the 3 to the 4 to the 5. As a viewer, this drew me into the broadcast much more than any other broadcast I've ever heard.

Please, Matchroom, continue to commentate your events in this manner. To other promoters, please compare and contrast the 2018 Mosconi Cup commentary to your own. As a viewer of pool match videos produced from the late 1980's until today, this event stood above all others in my opinion regarding commentary.

Thanks for listening.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I forgot to write this post before...

I want to thank the Mosconi Cup producers for the 2018 event. In my opinion, the commentary during this event was the best I have ever heard, in ANY pool match, by ANY commentators, and by ANY promoter.

I apologize, I don't remember the names of the commentators. ...

Alex Lely in 12 matches
Phil Yates in 15 matches
Jim Wych in 12 matches
Andy Goldstein in 1 match

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. The voices of the commentators. One was a former coach and player of the European team. His accent was smooth and fun as an American viewer. ...
That would be Alex Lely who posts on AZB as "plague".

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The commentators come in a couple flavors. I wonder if we’d ever settle into a more play-by-play commentator paired with a color commentator.

Jim Wych, Ted Lerner, Jerry Forsyth and Jay Helfert are reasonably knowledgeable but are more distinguished by their ability to convey suspense. I think Ra Hanna could join these ranks. Phil Yates has always bothered me with his terribly cheesy puns.

Alex Lely and Johnny Archer are great for their knowledge. Nobody is better than Jeremy Jones in that regard. Players like Boyes and Appleton offer good insight too but tend to be a little too informal in the box.

Some streamers are good to listen to like Daniel Busch, Up State Al, Bobby Cotton, Mary Kenniston, Jimmy Mataya, etc. They just aren’t as polished as the top commentators but I still love listening to them.

(Names are illustrative and not meant to be comprehensive)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro