How can we get USA women playing again?

jbcueman

Registered
How about more television coverage? How about bringing them back to the BCA National Tournament? Why did the Challenge of Champions Tournament abandon the Mohegan Sun? More poolrooms would be nice especially to bring up kids with the game of pool.Where do they learn,in bars? Pool is sad and so is golf.Many country clubs selling out & closing.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last big event here in the states Siming Chen played, The WPBA Ho-Chunk Classic $50,000 purse.

Siming lost to April Larson in the Quarter finals and had to settle for 4th place in the event.

So you might want change that USA Women have Zero chance to something else :nono: :wink2:

That's a bit odd that she lost to April.

On the bright side, a girl local to me has beaten April often in events, and I can beat that other girl about half the time, so that means I can beat Siming! Whoot! Pro tour, here I come!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a bit odd that she lost to April.

On the bright side, a girl local to me has beaten April often in events, and I can beat that other girl about half the time, so that means I can beat Siming! Whoot! Pro tour, here I come!

You have a fargo rating?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although this article was written on the struggles of being a top pool player 42 years ago, virtually nothing has changed since then - very sad.

Well, SI has declined a lot since then. Biweekly now. May be closed down soon. I mean who reads a mag these days? :grin-square:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a fargo rating?

It's not as high as Aprils hehe, I was making a bit of a joke about winning a set vs long term matches. I get too lazy to maintain a good game for more than 5-6 balls, soon as I see the game is done I stop paying attention and miss. Why do you think I have my screen name here? First 2/3 of the rack I can play with a lot of players, I just don't care too much if I win.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've been to schools and proposed a plan. Have a bar table, 25 cents a game. Have a student in charge of maintaining the equipment, cues, balls etc. Use the funds from the table to pay for the tips/chalk/cloth and teach one of the kids how to recover the table and maintain cues/tips. Next build a frame work to cover it, and use it's space/wooden cover to work on during arts/crafts whatever. Then get another school involved in the same manner. Then have all the schools have player groups. Each semester have the kids that play from all the schools get together and form teams by drawing player numbers. From this mix all kids will be working and playing together with other HS kids from other schools. It's great socialization of young ins, who thrive on meeting others their same age.

Have a teacher teach a pool class after school hours, buy utilizing a book that Mark Wilson would recommend.
This is great game at that age, where the boys have NO advantage over the girls.

The OBSTACLE that was real and a deal breaker, was how educators in a HS setting felt about a ''pool table''. They liked the idea, especially schools within their district, mixing up their players with other kids the same age. But POOL in the US has a Negative connotation to almost all HS educators. Most every scene that a pool table is used in during most any movie setting or backdrop is Negative, bad people. So goes the battle.