Wwyd

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot above the scratch is big! I shot it 4 times, once scratched, once hung CB in jaws, twice was ok.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I must be missing something here, this shot comes up constantly....it's the perfect positional angle for the 9. :confused:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Jimmy: when I first saw the shot I thought it “might” be borderline to hold up with inside. It turns out it was not. That said, moving either CB or the 8 about half an inch would probably make the inside hold-up out of range.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To Jimmy: when I first saw the shot I thought it “might” be borderline to hold up with inside. It turns out it was not. That said, moving either CB or the 8 about half an inch would probably make the inside hold-up out of range.
It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures -- even with different angles -- exactly which side of the "possible line" the balls are on. And slick conditions will move that line. I think the main point is that players need to learn where that line is so they don't play 3-cushion position when one will do.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me the easiest way to play the shot without running into or getting married to the 9 ball is to play the 8 with inside and come back across. If I was going to let my stroke out I'd use some low outside to create an angle to avoid the 9. simplest no problem way is inside.

Then again I'm a complete banger.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

Don't want to sound like a make believe expert/champion but with enough experience you learn to use the pocket size, ball speed, and varying amounts of English to land correctly on the 9, a half inch difference shouldn't make much of a difference as long as you have the correct positional angle on the 8. Of course, if you're positioned with the opposite angle on the 8, you have an entirely different situation .

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Looks like you can hit it with stun and catch the long rail just short of the side pocket, go to the bottom of the table, and then back up to shoot the 9 in the natural pocket. You have about 2 feet of target zone with good shape on the 9.

This. It's not touchy, and you can basically wail this in at whatever (firm) stroke speed you are comfortable with. That being said, I would definitely use some inside here to make sure I don't spread off the bottom rail into the side.

If there is even a small doubt that following across table is gonna crowd the nine and leave a cut down the rail, I shoot Cory's shot, all day, e'ry day. It's not all the time that you get shots like this that have such a wide, WIDE margin of error on the speed. Use them.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I think I have your shot Hitsemhard. A few of these (especially the first one) the CB came real nice. I liked it. Is it what you were talking about?

https://youtu.be/ufJezMm7vjo

Yeah, as he said, the first one is the shot. The shots after that turned out poor only due to overcutting the 8 into a fairly generous pocket.. Or to applying too much english + too soft a stroke.

The key to the shot is the approach angle into the first rail, a decent amount of force on the stroke, and not "swinging" your tip sideways, applying unintentional backhand english, turning what is supposed to be 1 tip of inside into 2 or 3. Even erroring on the side of caution and applying 1/2 tip inside will probably turn out fine, as long as you stroke the ball firmly enough.