John Schmidt at 2019 US Open 11-0

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to figure why you saw it that way. How does 14.1 on 5" pockets for days and days prepare you for nine ball on tough tables?

I can speak from experience on that.

At times, I have played for as long as a week on a 9' GC with 4 3/4 corners and the standard GC shelf and run at least one 100+ and several in 80ish range each day.

**Disclaimer: my lifetime high is 156.. so, dont think I'm saying I'm a killer or anything.**

Then, without any play on a tight table I go play in a tournament or just a private match on a 9' pro-am, not to mention, then switch to nine ball.....lol.....let's just say i got my a55 handed to me by players that I normally hold my own with easily.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I can speak from experience on that.

At times, I have played for as long as a week on a 9' GC with 4 3/4 corners and the standard GC shelf and run at least one 100+ and several in 80ish range each day.

**Disclaimer: my lifetime high is 156.. so, dont think I'm saying I'm a killer or anything.**

Then, without any play on a tight table I go play in a tournament or just a private match on a 9' pro-am, not to mention, then switch to nine ball.....lol.....let's just say i got my a55 handed to me by players that I normally hold my own with easily.

This varies from player to player. In 2001, the year in which he was world 9-ball champion, Mika Immonen's primary practice game was 14.1. Another BCA Hall-of-Famer, Jeanette Lee, also used 14.1 as her primary practice game in the late 1990's. Neither practiced on loose pocket tables, though, because producing a high run was not their goal.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the balls were dirty.....

If you have ever been around JS that will make sense.

Ken

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the first times i backed someone gambling, Mt Vernon Tommy vs Stew the Shoe for the locals. I had Tommy-We won the first set 11-0 and The Shoe said 'flip it' and i thought he must be mad at his money. Yep we lost the 2nd set 11-0

PS-JS is a bit eccentric and his mental game varies greatly. He is a much better as a front runner.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I would step out on the limb and say that has never happened to a professional (not dead money) player at the US Open in the history of the tournament. It would be that rare, statistically speaking.
I don't know what John Schmidt Fargo rate is, but I would say that his rate matched up against those who he lost 11-0 to, predicted the would have won a few at least.
I could see one player going off on a smothering break and run tear, but two in a row against John S would be lightning in a bottle.
Even when Jayson Shaw beat Mika in 20 minutes at Turning Stone, Mika still got 1 rack in.

Mika got shutout by Corey in the finals when Corey won it.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the dimensions are on the pockets in the US Open, both corner and sides as well as the angle of the pockets?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the dimensions are on the pockets in the US Open, both corner and sides as well as the angle of the pockets?

Can't say for sure, but in the single elimination, the table played tough, 4 1/2 for sure at the corners (probably 5" at the sides) and, as the TV table had been used all week, worn cloth. Pocket angle I have no idea, but the conditions were a good test for even the truly elite. I was genuinely concerned that it might be otherwise as loose pockets are standard fare at the Mosconi, but the table conditions at the US Open were, in my opinion, absolutely perfect.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This varies from player to player. In 2001, the year in which he was world 9-ball champion, Mika Immonen's primary practice game was 14.1. Another BCA Hall-of-Famer, Jeanette Lee, also used 14.1 as her primary practice game in the late 1990's. Neither practiced on loose pocket tables, though, because producing a high run was not their goal.

I've said it before and will say it again:

Anyone needing to up-their-game should practice 14.1 and/or AR rotation on a big table with 4.5 or smaller pockets.

A deep shelf is a big plus too....

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
I've said it before and will say it again:

Anyone needing to up-their-game should practice 14.1 and/or AR rotation on a big table with 4.5 or smaller pockets.

A deep shelf is a big plus too....

Sure... while we're at it, how about we struggle with ourselves by playing Snooker?

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a Rock Paper Scissors game, why are you surprised?

If x player playing phenomenal pool today, he can lose to an unknown 11-0 tomorrow, this keeps happening everyday.

I saw Alex not missing a single shot one day in a tournament, even the commentator said that he’s a machine, guess what happened next day? He missed three shots a game, and I’m being literal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the same thing with Alex ... Pool a weird game