One pocket rules question

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens if you need more balls than are on the table, and you run out the available balls?
For instance: My opponent takes two fouls in the beginning of the game, I then pocket 6 balls. What happens if he runs out the 9 available balls into his pocket?
I'd assume his turn is over, the owed balls spotted, and I play the cue ball as it lays?

Sorry for the odd question, I just noticed the possibility of this happening in a few recent games and no one knew what the ruling would have been.

Thanks

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He would spot the two balls he owes and it is still his inning where the cueball lies.

If it switched to your inning, he would be getting penalized for no reason.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What happens if you need more balls than are on the table, and you run out the available balls?
For instance: My opponent takes two fouls in the beginning of the game, I then pocket 6 balls. What happens if he runs out the 9 available balls into his pocket?
I'd assume his turn is over, the owed balls spotted, and I play the cue ball as it lays?

Sorry for the odd question, I just noticed the possibility of this happening in a few recent games and no one knew what the ruling would have been.

Thanks
If a player runs all the balls off the table and he still needs more, all the balls that would normally spot at the end of his inning are spotted and his inning continues. Those balls could include the ones he owes and any balls pocketed in extraneous pockets.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If a player runs all the balls off the table and he still needs more, all the balls that would normally spot at the end of his inning are spotted and his inning continues. Those balls could include the ones he owes and any balls pocketed in extraneous pockets.
Would that include sleepers remembered at that time?

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would that include sleepers remembered at that time?

pj
chgo
So, in the middle of the clearance run the shooter says, "oops, you forgot to spot the 3 that you made in the corner your last turn." Suppose the 3 ball has to be on the table for the shooter to finish -- without that ball, the score is 7-7 and there are no balls on the table. I think you need to spot the ball even though it is early for a sleeper. So a reasonable rule is:
If the shooter legally clears the table without winning (due to owed balls or sleepers or extraneously pocketed balls), then after the clearance all such balls will be spotted at the same time and the player's inning will continue.​

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
So, in the middle of the clearance run the shooter says, "oops, you forgot to spot the 3 that you made in the corner your last turn." Suppose the 3 ball has to be on the table for the shooter to finish -- without that ball, the score is 7-7 and there are no balls on the table. I think you need to spot the ball even though it is early for a sleeper. So a reasonable rule is:
If the shooter legally clears the table without winning (due to owed balls or sleepers or extraneously pocketed balls), then after the clearance all such balls will be spotted at the same time and the player's inning will continue.​

Yeah Bob, you are correct (naturally;)). This is covered in rule 9.2 from onepocket.org:

9.2 Any penalty balls owed by the shooter, or balls pocketed in a neutral pocket, are to be spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. However, if a player runs off all the balls on the table without reaching a winning score, then all such balls are spotted immediately (all at once, not one ball at a time), and the shooter continues their inning. At no other time in One Pocket are balls spotted during any shooter’s ongoing inning.

Last edited:

kybill9

Banned
Yeah Bob, you are correct (naturally;)). This is covered in rule 9.2 from onepocket.org:

When I think of sleepers, I think of forgotten balls. Just my point of view, but who am I am but a nobody one pocket hack they named a State after, KENTUCKY.:thumbup::D:grin::cool:

kybill9

Banned

You know Bob, you and I haven't played for years. Nows a good chance to rob me while I am in the middle of my worst pain syndrome since 2003.:cool::smile::cool: