flooring question

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

I just finished buying my first home :D and I have space for my 9ft GC in my two car garage. I like the idea of oak wood floors but do not know if it will sink with the weight of the pool table. Has anyone set wood floors in their pool room? Should I go another route?> Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Byron

Hi everyone,

I just finished buying my first home :D and I have space for my 9ft GC in my two car garage. I like the idea of oak wood floors but do not know if it will sink with the weight of the pool table. Has anyone set wood floors in their pool room? Should I go another route?> Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Byron

Read this: http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/pro/28/241

Nothing is going to sink if you have sleepers or plywood under the feet of the table.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your floor is reasonably level you can full spread glue down 1/2" engineered wood and you should have no problems.
just use a glue that has a built in moisture barrier such as Dritac 4141.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Byron

HOLD ON, STOP FOR A MINUTE, putting a Pool Table in your new Garage?

Put a level on the floor first, you will then see the floor is approximately

1/4" DROP PER FOOT from the back of the garage to the front of the garage. This is standard building code. (If gas or oil leaks in the garage, it's best for it to run out of the garage and not under the house, that is the reason for the code.)

If your garage is 20' from the back to the front, the front will be 5 full inches lower than the rear of the garage.

Find your slope for either 4' or 8' (OR PRECISLY the actual footprint of the legs,) that depends on how you set the table in the garage, make two base pieces 1/8" - 1/16" less than the slope total. (8" x 8" squares) You can plane a piece to perfection or just get plywood that is the next smallest thickness to the total. Don't go to home depot for plywood, it sucks, go to a lumber yard. (1/2" home depot plywood has 4 plys, lumber yard plywoods have 5 plys. Don't get me going on their crappy lumber.)

Then you will be able to shim the legs to perfection prior to putting the slates in and leveling them.

IF you have not purchased the wood floor yet, do the most simple test before you do.

SCRATCH IT WITH YOUR FINGERNAIL, some will scratch too easy, others will not scratch at all, I can only guess which you would prefer.

Another guy pointed the fact that you need a moisture barrier, HE'S RIGHT. Some have them built into the product, others will need to be laid down. Concrete will have moisture in it if it's a brand new house, trust me, even the Hoover Damn concrete is still cooling and giving off moisture, your garage may take a year, at 30 days I believe it's around 98% dry, it's the 2% that can destroy.

Hear is to your BALLS ROLLING STRAIGHT, Thanks and good day.

Did you know that you can FLOAT a wood floor? No nails, no glue, nothing, it just lays down and stays there, it can easily be removed later.

Last edited:

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a side note: Balls will land on that floor and roll virtually everywhere in that garage eventually. So make sure your choice of flooring/wall surfaces doesn't hurt the balls (or vice versa).

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a side note: Balls will land on that floor and roll virtually everywhere in that garage eventually. So make sure your choice of flooring/wall surfaces doesn't hurt the balls (or vice versa).

there's nothing worse than hurt balls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a buddy with hardwood under his table. There's dimples all over the oak. It looks hideous especially when the light is just right.

Phenolic resin is harder than tile. I wouldn't worry too much about the balls.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A company in my town, called Roppe Rubber makes thin rubber floor tiles. A friend put them
down in his pool room. Looks like tile and is VERY comfortable to walk on. Balls can't be dammaged when hitting the floor.

They are about the thickness of linoleum, but are flexible, and look really good

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I'm speaking generically since I don't know about your location or how the garage is insulated, how damp it gets or any other concern, but in general ... god I can't stand playing on a hard floor for any length of time. I like a thickly padded carpet with low pile. That's just my opinion and has nothing to do with the logistics of your situation. That rubber sounded interesting.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table is on hard wood floors ...but my house is 100 years old and you could drive a truck on it and not make a dent. Lol My only problem is keeping it level. Pa has dry winters and humid summers so the table fluctuates with the season. I put a 12x12 tile under each foot and that seemed to do the trick.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm speaking generically since I don't know about your location or how the garage is insulated, how damp it gets or any other concern, but in general ... god I can't stand playing on a hard floor for any length of time. I like a thickly padded carpet with low pile. That's just my opinion and has nothing to do with the logistics of your situation. That rubber sounded interesting.

I usually play on a concrete floor. When I walked on the rubber tiles, it was very noticeable. Very comfortable. And from what he told me, It lays down sort of like 12 x 12 ceramic tiles. It really looks good. And even better with a Gold Crown sitting on top of it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I used to lay flooring in school. Go carpet tile. When your done you can pull up and wont effect resell value if the next owner wants his garage back.

Quick hijack. What would you guys do for flooring on a second story room, where the floong is going over a plywood or osb sub-floor?