9 ball Ring Game Rule

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A scratches so player B has ball in hand behind the head string. His object ball is close to the head string line. Is the base of the ball used to determine in or out, or must the entire ball be out?

Thanks in advance.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i perfer the whole ball, not the base of the ball. it just works out better that way. same for 1P.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I always play that it depends on how the cueball is treated. If it must be 'completely behind the string' then the base of the object ball can be out. If the cue can be placed right on the line, then the whole object has to be clear of it.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always play that it depends on how the cueball is treated. If it must be 'completely behind the string' then the base of the object ball can be out. If the cue can be placed right on the line, then the whole object has to be clear of it.

6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play#6.11:grin-square::grin-square:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We always played if the ball was "touching" the line it spotted. Saves time.
It seems to me that if it's close to "touching" you still have to take time to check and make sure just as you have to take a little time to see whether the center is beyond the line. If the table is not marked with a line, I think it is much easier to judge the center against the diamonds.