Removing wax from shaft

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello one of my shafts came waxed and gets sticky when my hands are the slightest wet. I tried removing it by using the green pad of a scotch Brite lightly followed by very fine sandpaper (1500 and 2000) but it still feels the same. Does the wax go that deep into the wood or could it be that when trying to remove it I'm actually melting it and keep rubbing it in? Is there a better way to remove wax? It is wax not finish.

Julian

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello one of my shafts came waxed and gets sticky when my hands are the slightest wet. I tried removing it by using the green pad of a scotch Brite lightly followed by very fine sandpaper (1500 and 2000) but it still feels the same. Does the wax go that deep into the wood or could it be that when trying to remove it I'm actually melting it and keep rubbing it in? Is there a better way to remove wax? It is wax not finish.

Julian

A paper towel very lightly dampened with rubbing alcohol will take most wax off in my experience. A light sanding with a high grit paper or Q-Wiz etc after that should leave it feeling clean.

I know you said its not a 'finish', but some cue makers use various products (stabilizers etc) on their shafts at various points in turning/aging their woods to achieve various things.

Mike Gulyassy uses a product called 'shaft freeze'. Schmelke even uses something that makes their shafts very glossy and sticky after a while. Ive tried hand sanding theirs off, but it leaves it patchy. I will need to put it on a lathe to get the rest of it off.

What cue/shaft are you having this issue with?

arraamis

Registered

Julian

Adding to what Catalin offered.....

Use an alcohol soaked (mildly soaked :wink:) 3M finishing pad to scrub your shaft

I've used these for years just to keep shafts smooth, but I'm guessing it can be used with alcohol to take off the sealer, without removing wood or causing problems with the shafts design.

Attachments

• 3M Finishing pads.jpg
    3M Finishing pads.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 214