Travelling with Longoni Case

wllchenger

Registered
I have a Longoni Sultan Case (hard), and am planning to put it in a luggage and check in with airline. Is this a good idea? Did anyone have traveled with Longoni hard case? Thanks for help!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't check that unless it was in the cardboard shipping carton it came in.

Carry it on!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Longoni Sultan Case (hard), and am planning to put it in a luggage and check in with airline. Is this a good idea? Did anyone have traveled with Longoni hard case? Thanks for help!

Checking it in another piece of luggage is what most people do with their cases.

I wouldn't check that unless it was in the cardboard shipping carton it came in.

Carry it on!

You cant carry it on.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can put a cue case in a larger piece of luggage and check it. Only can use TSA locks on the larger case. You cannot combo lock or key lock a cue case if it is not TSA approved- which locks integral to cue cases are NOT- if they inspect the larger case and your cue case inside is locked - it will be confiscated. I travel with a very cheap cue case inside my checked luggage and only with one of a few cheaper sneaky pete cues. Personally, I would never take a chance and pack a higher end cue or case in a checked bag- just too much of a risk in my own opinion. I believe that more expensive cues and cases should be shipped to you destination prior- just my own risk strategy.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I fly with anything valuable I check it alongside a pistol. At that point it gets treated specially and the law requires that a lock go on to which ONLY you have a key.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I fly with anything valuable I check it alongside a pistol. At that point it gets treated specially and the law requires that a lock go on to which ONLY you have a key.

That's an interesting idea, but then you have to deal with the pistol at your destination. Fine if you can carry there. But if you end up landing in NYC or NJ, even through no fault of your own, you will likely end up in jail.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an interesting idea, but then you have to deal with the pistol at your destination. Fine if you can carry there. But if you end up landing in NYC or NJ, even through no fault of your own, you will likely end up in jail.
Exactly right. When I would leave the south to go places like Massachusetts and such, I did not use this approach.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly right. When I would leave the south to go places like Massachusetts and such, I did not use this approach.

There is a finite, non-zero probability that your plane could land in NYC or NJ, even if that's not on the route plan, or doesn't even seem sensible. Take care! Innocent people have been persecuted and jailed.

(BTW, I'm a 2nd Amendment supporter.)

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy that works luggage at the airport and he always has nice cues for sale. Cheap too.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

This tiny part must use a firearms declaration.

Retrieve your locked hardcase, put this on your keyring and you're golden.

Attachments

• 20200103_070050.jpg
    20200103_070050.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 161

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
S&W J-frame firing pin. About the size of a dime.

Why would you have to declare that as a firearm? As far as I know, the firearm is the frame or receiver - not the parts that go into it.

Gun parts can't be in carry-on bags, must be checked, but don't have to be declared.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I've watched while on plane while baggage handlers were throwing bags on conveyer belt and some slipped off and feel 20 feet to the ground...Put my cue in with luggage...? Not a chance...

I have a friend who is driving take it....Or I bought a Porper carrying case which your pool case fits into and its padded and protects it...

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Why would you have to declare that as a firearm? As far as I know, the firearm is the frame or receiver - not the parts that go into it.

Gun parts can't be in carry-on bags, must be checked, but don't have to be declared.

Good luck with that.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck with that.

What does that mean? Do you think you would be hassled at all for checking that nondescript part in your luggage?

(BTW: I have travelled with firearms and ammunition, I know the drill.)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For musical instruments there are things called a "case cover," which protects the case, adds some padding, insulates from quick temperature changes, and so on. Such a thing would be very useful for carrying cues in a cue case.

If I was to travel to an event and I really wanted my personal cues, I might consider a rectangular rifle case.

Maybe some billiards association or event should petition the TSA to allow cues to be carried on; maybe with proof that you're going to a billiard even.

The let tennis rackets, umbrellas, canes, etc. Why not cues?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
What does that mean? Do you think you would be hassled at all for checking that nondescript part in your luggage?

(BTW: I have travelled with firearms and ammunition, I know the drill.)

Apparently not.

Hassled would not happen. If you check a firing pin, magazine, or a short list of other parts without a firearms declaration, and happen to be discovered, you will receive a $4000 fine. "So sorry, I forgot that was in there." won't fly (forgive the pun). It is a zero tolerance policy.

Anyway, the entire point is to declare and secure your case with non-TSA locks and know it will not be opened without your presence.