Is a cuetec jump/break worth buying???

AkersCues

Dblkdad
Silver Member
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on how the cuetec's break & jump? Are they worth buying???

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes

I purchased a used cuetec jump/break a couple of years ago and it works just fine. I have a cue dealer buddy who lets me try out dozens of cues and I have yet to find a break cue that is worth the extra money. I am not saying that there is not a better break cue out there but the cuetec works as advertised. I only use the cuetec for breaking.

I have a dedicated jump cue for jumping and do like it better than the cuetec for jumping but that is just my opinion. I will admit that I had the jump cue before getting the cuetec and have never really given the cuetec much time using it as a jumper.

In fact, the night I purchased the cuetec jump break I entered into a tournament and my name was picked for the 9 on the break pot and won $357 dollars just a few hours after paying $40 for the used cuetec. That was the fastest return on an investment I have ever made.

I do make more than my share of 9's on the break than most people but I think it has to do with the way I break, not so much the cuetec but the cue does its part. I played a guy a few nights ago and made 4 or 5 9's on the break out of about 15 breaks. He pulled up telling me it was just too depressing to see so many 9's go in on the break.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I think more important than a specific brand is having a break/jump with a nice hard break/jump tip. I have a cheap J&J that's a few years old, but it works for me.

Flintlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one and when I first got it, thought it was a terrific jump/break stick. Had a samsara tip on it at the time...

However, over time the 'tru-glide' finish on the shaft gets polished off from repeated use, making the shaft stick to your fingers. The Cuetec shaft cleaner helps with that and I find I have to apply it before every league night. If not, I have to use hand chalk and I hate that.

However, I really like the grip they have on the butt end. Your hand grips well and it isn't some cheesy piece of rubber.

The weight is also very forward balanced. When you hold it, you know you're holding a j/b cue.

However, if I had to do it again, I would tend to shy away from it, mostly due to the sticky shaft issue over time. I guess that's why I now have a j/b on order with a wood shaft...

AkersCues

Dblkdad
Silver Member
Thanks for the info guys!!! I am thinking about buying one to try but I will have to put a samsara tip on it first!!!... :)

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
I have one that I bought over 13 years ago, it is a solid breaker, but as far as jumping goes was not very good at all until I met someone with the exact same cue but he had changed the ferrule to a G-10 and the tip to a white diamond. I had the same guy do this for mine and it now jumps as good as my dedicated jump cue and breaks like a sledge hammer. So if you change out the original tip at the very least, it should jump just fine for a jump/break.