Thank you to Dave Whitsell

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not receive any sponsorship from Dave this is intended as a thank you to him and to bring recognition to one of the great ones (Dave will never say so because he just enjoys pool, pool players and making cues) in pool.

Special thanks to Dave Whitsell a San Diego county (I think location is why he doesn't have nationwide recognition) cue maker and billiard store owner from La Mesa, Ca http://westcoastcues.com/ and good friend of mine.

I've known Dave for about 20 years and during that time I own four of his cues. I can't call him a cue maker (I think he is more than that) he is an artist with all the quirks and creativity that come with that label. I have seen most of the higher end cues made by others and his cues play as well or better than any of them.

He's definitely worth checking out if you want a cue made he will cater to everybody from a APA 1 to a movie star to a professional player.

For those who need to be warned he lives by the motto of "treat others as you wish to be treated". I've seen him refuse to make cues for people regardless of what they were offering to pay.

If only one person reads this thread and gets to meet Dave regardless if they buy one of his products or not they will be richer for it. After you meet him go next door to "OnCue billiards" to play.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Dave is first class...

I do not receive any sponsorship from Dave this is intended as a thank you to him and to bring recognition to one of the great ones (Dave will never say so because he just enjoys pool, pool players and making cues) in pool.

Special thanks to Dave Whitsell a San Diego county (I think location is why he doesn't have nationwide recognition) cue maker and billiard store owner from La Mesa, Ca http://westcoastcues.com/ and good friend of mine.

I've known Dave for about 20 years and during that time I own four of his cues. I can't call him a cue maker (I think he is more than that) he is an artist with all the quirks and creativity that come with that label. I have seen most of the higher end cues made by others and his cues play as well or better than any of them.

He's definitely worth checking out if you want a cue made he will cater to everybody from a APA 1 to a movie star to a professional player.

For those who need to be warned he lives by the motto of "treat others as you wish to be treated". I've seen him refuse to make cues for people regardless of what they were offering to pay.

If only one person reads this thread and gets to meet Dave regardless if they buy one of his products or not they will be richer for it. After you meet him go next door to "OnCue billiards" to play.

Dave is a great guy and you're right he does love pool and cue making.

I've been making cues for several years now, with a brief period that certain circumstances prevented me from doing so, which will be remedied in a couple of weeks where I will be able to start again full bore.

Dave had checked out some of my work and saw that I was a good cue maker and out of the blue gave me a couple of ivory ferrule blanks just to support a fellow cue maker who was serious about the craft.

He's good peeps..for sure...

Jaden

p.s. Accustatsfan, was that a definite off for tomorrow or a maybe?

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's quite an endorsement for Dave. I never had him make me a cue but I did meet him many yerars ago when I put up a Morris cue on consignment. I know many San Diegans use his services. I also know he's a pool nut like the rest of us. I just might have to see if he's interested in making my next cue.

FatzBrown

Registered
I've had a chance to hit and play with a number of his cues and they were all quality pieces. Dave's passion for pool and cue making are evident in any conversation with him...and the conversations always take interesting turns.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was introduced to Dave by a friend about a week ago by a friend who frequents his services. I had my shaft reduced to run straighter before tapering off, and a Kamui tip install. He clearly knew what he was doing, and was quite a character. I'd never needed to visit a cue maker/ repairman before, but I'm certainly glad I found one worth returning to in the future on the first try.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its nice to see that Dave Whitsell is still doing quality work.

I met him when I took over the rooms in San Diego in the late 1990's. He set up shop at La Mesa Billiard Palace (now Joltin' Joes).

A standup guy who is always a gentlemen - I highly recommend him to anyone that needs his services.

Mark Griffin