The Worst Rule in Pool

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Even weirder when a league player tells a poolplayer he didn't mark the pocket, right after the poolplayer makes the 8 that's sitting a foot from the corner pocket! Ha!

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to disagree. It's a rule that if followed stops arguments. Yes you may forget it sometimes but that doesn't make it a bad rule just your mistake. Just clearly mark your pocket and get over it in my opinion.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I also certainly do not like this rule. Last year I was playing in two separate leagues. One where you marked the pocket and one where you did not. Took a little getting used to. After a while I just got in the habit of using the patch to mark the pocket I planned to play the 8 ball in and then every time I would walk around the table between shots I would consciously touch the patch. If I changed plans and thought I would end up shooting it elsewhere I would just move it there and then continue the routine of touching it every time around the table.

In the long run it probably saved me a couple games by getting into that habit of always making sure I knew exactly where it was so that I would not forget it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think the worst rule ever in pool is the 'option' at call-shot 10 ball.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worst rule: ball in hand ANYWHERE on the table. Never in the long history of pool ha s there ever been a more ridiculous rule . No shot in pool deserves such a drastic penalty. It makes the game a joke.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worst rule: ball in hand ANYWHERE on the table. Never in the long history of pool ha s there ever been a more ridiculous rule . No shot in pool deserves such a drastic penalty. It makes the game a joke.

This I do not understand at all! It keeps people from scratching or fouling on purpose to put you in the kitchen. Then its nothing more then bar rules.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My worst rule is more like a ruling.
For the WPA to create the rules, only to not care how they are implemented.
THIS GRINDS ME!
:thumbup:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You prefer bar rules?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my book its "Mark your pocket". 'Nuff said. :angry:

My first season of leagues ever was Busch leagues. I was playing a match against the league operator and he says "We're not going to bother with that marking the pocket BS". So the case game I run out and call the 8-ball and don't mark it because we hadn't marked any of them yet.

And as soon as I make the ball he jumps out of his chair and says "Foul! You didn't mark the pocket! You lose!."

And I lost. Because he was the LO and suddenly didn't remember saying anything about not marking the pocket.

I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't the rule that sucks. It's the people that can suck.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst rule... Some tournament director's way of running double elimination tournaments. How can a guy get second in a double elimination tournament with only one loss? Only in pool!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think the worst rule has to do with a push when balls are kissing or close.

Grady had the best idea for these situations. He said no foul if the CB showed character and didnt beat the OB down the table.

As far as the marking pocket rule, there are idiots in all facets of life, this rule was designed to help eliminate arguments when they are around playing pool.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This I do not understand at all! It keeps people from scratching or fouling on purpose to put you in the kitchen. Then its nothing more then bar rules.
1. nothing wrong with bar pool. I made a ton of cash playing bar pool.
2. please scratch and give me a spot shot. I still make 8 of 10, even 50 yrs later.
3. BIH was created to SPEED the game up for tourneys, not to make the game better.
Pushout the only way to play 9 ball.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
The rule against "scooped" jump shots. It is premised on the myth that a scoop shot is a deliberate miscue, which has been debunked.

Any rule that makes it an "option" to call ball/pocket in 10-ball is bad. If one insists on allowing slop in 9-ball, then 10-ball must be a called game by contrast. That's the only valid reason for 10-ball existing as its own game.

The rule in one pocket that allows you to deliberately scratch in order to take out your opponent 's "pocket hanger." I have used this rule and won games with it, but I would change the rule to say any opponents balls pocketed during a foul stay down. I am against rules that encourage deliberate fouling.

BIH anywhere on the table after a foul ... is actually a good rule.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
So, Desmo, you forgot to mark your pocket? :p

The unworkable alternative is to ask the players to exhibit good sportsmanship, have an understanding of the game, and show respect for their opponents.

And stay reasonably sober on league night.