How long is too long to wait...?

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, last June of 2016, a friend of mine had given his cue
to a pretty established local cue maker for repair.
The collar on his one piece bird's eye widow butt was loose;
so he thought to take advantage of his misfortune, and have
new matching basic, single veneer, ring work installed on both the shaft and butt.

My friend paid him up front and got a receipt.
The guy seemed pleasant as can be and said he get it done.
No Prob!:thumbup:

6 months later... He gives the cue maker a call,
and is invited back over to his workshop.
My friend said from the tone of their brief chat,
he was thinking the cue repair was completed.
I know the cue maker as well, so I offered to give him a ride over there.

As we walked in, my friend immediately pointed out his cue and parts;
left just where they were 6 months prior, and covered in a layer of dust.
I'm guessing most folks can imagine how he was feeling. LOL.

The fella said he wasn't feeling so hot and he also kinda forgot about it.
Points for honesty anyway.
To earn some brownie points ourselves, each of us bought a sneaky pete from him
that day. We thought the sale might put a spring in his step.
Again, he says no prob and this time will be done soon.

Here we are another 3 months after that. Going on 10 months soon.
No clear ETA established. Not a word.
My friend is so disturbed by it that refuses to
contact him again and feels like his cue is being held hostage.

What would you do? Take your cue back and go elsewhere, or ride it out?

Has anyone else waited this long for basic joint work?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
The only advice people are going good to give you here is to out the cue maker to put him on the do not deal list.

If it was me, I'd be calling more often than refusing to call at all. Put some pressure on the guy to start working on it by calling. I'm not saying call every minute but like 1x a week or two.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when you lose interest its been too long

however its always good to get a new one

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thread like this we have seen! Lol. I know it's not funny and it sucks for your friend... this is about the millionth thread like this one.
Couple words of advice;
1) Never pay everything up front.
2) From the onset, set a clear timeline with the maker. One both you and the maker agrees to.

I really don't see how your friend thinks is being held hostage, y'all were invited to the shop! What I would do at this point is, get in contact with the maker and ask for a hard date, or set a reasonable timeline because your friend need to cue to play in that upcoming tournament, right? Communication is key, talk to the maker and express your feelings. I would try and avoid getting another maker to work on the joint as that would affect the value and it would no longer be the original makers cue. Sucks for your friend unfortunately this kind of thing happens too often, good luck.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't try to turn chicken shit into chicken salad.
Even if you do, the sandwich always tastes awful.
This is an "awful" situation, no other description.
Retrieve your cue and just find another cue-maker.
1x shame on you...2x shame on me.... but 3x is???

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy of mine wrecked his Harley...actually an idiot crashed into him. Local shop wanted the insurance job. Bike was a year old, really should take it to Harley but he took it to the local guy. Bike should have been done in less than a week.

Six months later the bike was still not done. Lots of excuses. All BS. Got some Brothers together and went and took the bike. It should have never gone that far, he should have gone and picked it up after a month passed I would say.

These issues are a no-brainer really.

You bought two cues off the guy? To get things moving? Really?

I really do hate to see threads like this. Very often I think the customer does carry some responsibility in how it goes. Not always.

In this case, the customer walked into the shop...saw the cue...sitting under a layer of dust where it was left. And the customer bought another cue?

I will offer this: I cherish my cues. I have many. If I left one at a shop and knew it was not cared for nicely then I would definitely tell the person how I felt about that and would take the cue back immediately.

Cue shops get dusty. OK. I get that. But to leave my cue laying around like that? At least put it up, out of harms way.

I don't like getting into these matters. I generally don't comment. But honestly...WTF? The cuemaker let it go, let it slip...it happens. But to see the cue laying there like that and not directly address the matter man to man, eye to eye? And then buy a couple more cues?

If that happened to my cue I can tell you I would directly address it immediately and directly. If it was my Joss I can tell you I would go apeshit, clear the room, stay out of the way, it will get primal.

Tell your friend this: Put on your big boy pants and man up. Get eyeball to eyeball with the cuemaker and settle the matter. About how that should be settled I will hold my tongue. About posting anything about it on the internet, that's how my teenagers deal with shit so you can guess what I think about it. Just settle it.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Really how much time would it take the cue maker to complete this job? It does not seem like a huge job to me, I dont understand why he just doesnt get it done.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a ridiculous situation, you're giving the cue maker too much benefit of the doubt.

Just think, he knew you were visiting the shop and yet he made no effort to at least move the cue to a cleaner place? To at least give the illusion that he cares? This man doesn't give a crap about your friend's cue.

Cannot believe you guys actually spent more money to buy cues from him in hopes of appeasing him. I'd return the cues, ask for their refund, and get your friend's cue back and ask for that refund too.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I'm all for being a nice guy and all ... but at this point I'm not sure why you don't just go get the cue back and look elsewhere for repairs.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
You paid him upfront and ten months later the cue is not in your hands and you refuse to call. Makes sense. One, the cue must be highly insignificant or of no real value, two, you bought a sneaky off of him while your cue is sitting there with dust, now that is an all time great move, and three, why is the cue not in your hands along with your money?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you have a receipt
and
if talking nice doesnt get your money back and the cue
take him to small claims court

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, last June of 2016, a friend of mine had given his cue
to a pretty established local cue maker for repair.
The collar on his one piece bird's eye widow butt was loose;
so he thought to take advantage of his misfortune, and have
new matching basic, single veneer, ring work installed on both the shaft and butt.

My friend paid him up front and got a receipt.
The guy seemed pleasant as can be and said he get it done.
No Prob!:thumbup:

6 months later... He gives the cue maker a call,
and is invited back over to his workshop.
My friend said from the tone of their brief chat,
he was thinking the cue repair was completed.
I know the cue maker as well, so I offered to give him a ride over there.

As we walked in, my friend immediately pointed out his cue and parts;
left just where they were 6 months prior, and covered in a layer of dust.
I'm guessing most folks can imagine how he was feeling. LOL.

The fella said he wasn't feeling so hot and he also kinda forgot about it.
Points for honesty anyway.
To earn some brownie points ourselves, each of us bought a sneaky pete from him
that day. We thought the sale might put a spring in his step.
Again, he says no prob and this time will be done soon.

Here we are another 3 months after that. Going on 10 months soon.
No clear ETA established. Not a word.
My friend is so disturbed by it that refuses to
contact him again and feels like his cue is being held hostage.

What would you do? Take your cue back and go elsewhere, or ride it out?

Has anyone else waited this long for basic joint work?
No brainer: grab your stuff and RUN to another cue-maker. This kind of service(or lack of) is TOTAL BULLS^*T.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
So let me get this straight, a guy yanks your friend around & you & your friends response is to spend more $ buying sneaky petes from him. I agree with Easy-E's post #14, it applies to you as well. I'm outta here, can't take this forum 1 more day.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most the responses are definitely what I expected.
I've been telling him grab his stuff and just have it done by someone else.
The cue maker is an older fella and my friend doesn't feel he should or need to tell him anything.
As for outing the guy there's no real point. He isn't accepting any new biz anyway. Plus, I'd prefer to not advertise his name. Even bad press is still free marketing. Lol!

No, it's not my friend's only cue. He just left it to see how long it might take him.
After the first few months it was comical. But it's far past any point of patience.
I told him months ago another friend of mine could have it done in a few days.
Not sure why he hasn't lit a bigger fire under this guys ass.

As for the buying a sneaky pete off the guy; I happen to collect sneakies from various cue makers.
So, the purchase was more of a justifiable impulse buy.
2 for $320 isn't too big a bruise.
For the shaft quality alone I couldn't pass up the deal!
He usually charges more than that for a single sneaky pete.

Long story short, the whole situation could've been dealt with differently.
I know there are other threads about waiting on a cue to be built,
but wasn't aware of one regarding lagging on simple repairs. My itch has been scratched. Thank you for the input.
Back into the shadows I go.:thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for outing the guy there's no real point. He isn't accepting any new biz anyway. Plus, I'd prefer to not advertise his name. Even bad press is still free marketing. Lol!

Would mention his name for sake of embarrassing/reviewing him. He had no problem or issue collecting payment. To be honorable the money should be returned with the unfinished cue and an apology.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the biggest mistake folks make, and I see it all the time, is paying for services, BEFORE they are rendered. Same goes for goods, no way in hell I'm paying for a cue until it finished, it's in my hot little hands, and I've hit a few balls with it. If he can't afford to make it, or repair it, without money up front, then I will go elsewhere really fast.

Once the money is in pocket, the urgency to get something done seems to fade away fairly rapidly. It's only human nature to a large degree, the money is the thing that makes it important. Once you take away the cash, well you get what you get. Sometimes chicken, sometimes chicken feathers.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep been too long. At his older age he should know better. I hope you'll share his name AFTER you or your friend get the cue back. The members would probably appreciate that so they don't have the same bad experience.. JMO....

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
One of the biggest mistake folks make, and I see it all the time, is paying for services, BEFORE they are rendered. Same goes for goods, no way in hell I'm paying for a cue until it finished, it's in my hot little hands, and I've hit a few balls with it. If he can't afford to make it, or repair it, without money up front, then I will go elsewhere really fast.

Once the money is in pocket, the urgency to get something done seems to fade away fairly rapidly. It's only human nature to a large degree, the money is the thing that makes it important. Once you take away the cash, well you get what you get. Sometimes chicken, sometimes chicken feathers.

I've been self employed forever and it's necessary to take money upfront. I've been burned by people using no upfront payment as leverage to have the price dropped. That being said, anything more than a 50% deposit isnt necessary especially in this market with high labour / low material costs.