Time to rethink jump cues again?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m fine with them.. it’s a required skill and it makes safety play more difficult.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hate jump cues, but I still see that there is a compromise available.

The compromise would be to allow the use of a jump cue on the first shot of an inning but not subsequently. That means that if you come to the table snookered, you can jump, but if you hook yourself you may not use a jump cue.

This would eliminate what I see as the biggest problem presented by the jump cue, which is reducing the penalty for position poorly played.

GOOD IDEA, I like it

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You see plenty of kicks and kick safeties, even in events that allow jump cues. Most pros actually kick better than they jump from what I've seen. More often then not, even in the pro game, a jump is a sellout.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How about a simple rule that when you get out of your chair you can bring any legal cue to the table you have but you have to use that cue until your turn ends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could go for this.....or just jump with the cue you’re playing with.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A number of people now jump with good accuracy. On a number of shots, the jump is better for making the ball then a kick is. However, for some shots/layouts the kick is the better shot. Its part of the game. The old school crowd might like the kick safety battles, but that doesn't translate well to TV. Look at the mosconi cup. When someone makes a jump shot and then even draws and gets shape, look at the crowd reaction. That translates well to TV.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Jump cues should not be allowed. They take the skill out of many shots. 5 minutes of training will let anyone jump over a ball and make a shot with a garden variety jump cue, that it may take months to be consistent at with a full cue. Some people are never able to jump with a full cue, period. I don't think jump shots should be illegal, like in snooker, but I also think the jump cue should go away and stay away.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump cues are not allowed in one pocket,therefore I have never seen one used
in my area

Seldom do we see a jump of any kind

I prefer that jumping not be allowed period

I don't recall seeing Efren use a jump cue
or ever seeing a jump shot ever used in 14:1

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I see are players that don't even look at a kick shot, they
go right for the jump stick.. mostly with bad results, selling out or
scratching off the table. IMO a safety battle back and forth,
including kicks, is pool to me more than jump shots.

$.02

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem with jump cues. It has changed the way we play safeties also. Instead of just leaving a ball between the Q ball and object ball, you must try to keep the Q ball within a couple inches of the blocker ball.
What was a good safety 20 years ago is an easy jump. A good safety today is freezing the Q ball to the blocker ball. Time have changed. You either change with them or you get left behind.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a fan of jump cues at all, but my friend that makes them thinks everybody should have one!

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in the camp that doesn't like them but realistic enough to know they'll stick around. They are a highlight-reel factor in the game. I notice players on adjacent tables usually tend to watch any player whether good or bad attempting to jump. And of course spectators and commentators tend to pay more attention to them.

I also notice in my league the younger guys in their 20s grab their jump cues at any chance. It's a product of the era they grew up in.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
In Korea they have a nation wide handicap system from 1 to 9, with pros/national title holders being ranked TC (a level above 9). This system is used in every single game, whether it’s social or a tournament. Social games are always played for table hire.

If I’m playing a 7,8,9,TC, jump cues don’t bother me. But when I’m playing to win 9 games and my opponent is playing to 3 or 4 and they pul out their jump cue every time they lose position or come to the table tied up, it does my f&^*ing head in. I guess I have this unfounded impression that jumps are difficult and therefore don’t get annoyed when someone near my skill level plays one, but get annoyed when I’m already giving up 6 games and someone who can barely play position in a 2 foot area is able to jump half the table.

I obviously need to re-evaluate my assessment of the difficulty of jump shots.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump Cues are Necessary

Otherwise, duck and run and get ball in hand would be all you ever see. You shouldn't be able to win the game by just playing safe. 9-ball is an action sport. If I wanted to watch moves I'd watch one pocket (there is no chance of that ever happening.) Don't eliminate the offense from pool as that's the exciting part. If I want to snore or can't get to sleep I watch one pocket. If I want to see great shotmaking I watch 9 or 10 ball.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's probably a waste of time but I still oppose jump cues.

Cuemakers oppose getting rid of them and a lot of players who can't kick as good as they can jump are opposed to getting rid of them.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Otherwise, duck and run and get ball in hand would be all you ever see. You shouldn't be able to win the game by just playing safe. 9-ball is an action sport. If I wanted to watch moves I'd watch one pocket (there is no chance of that ever happening.) Don't eliminate the offense from pool as that's the exciting part. If I want to snore or can't get to sleep I watch one pocket. If I want to see great shotmaking I watch 9 or 10 ball.

I don't know who you're watching, but at a high level you're not gonna see guys miss a hit very often. And the guys who are really good at kicking are favorite to re-hook you from a lot of positions. Running out on new cloth and big pockets is a formality in professional tournament play for the most part. A safety battle where 2 guys are kicking each other safe back and forth, really fighting for the rack, is where the difference is made. And I personally don't like to see it when somebody plays a skillful and precise kick safe, one that came from years of knowledge and experience with kicking, and then a guy comes to the table with a jump cue and plays a shot that requires literally 5 minutes of lifetime training. To me, that's the boring part.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's probably a waste of time but I still oppose jump cues.

Cuemakers oppose getting rid of them and a lot of players who can't kick as good as they can jump are opposed to getting rid of them.

Jump cues are a mockery of pool games.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pro Jump Cues. I can use one and I can jump 1/4 - 1/2 ball with my full length cue. The funny thing is I tend to kick or even masse more often than jump...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

I won’t try hard to convince you but since I held your opinion of 1 pocket up to about a year ago I feel obligated to say you should really give it a chance. I had watched a few minutes here and there and just thought it was the worst pool game ever. The soft break disgusted me. To me Pool was blowing the rack apart and running out. Over and over.

Then on the advice of others I gave it a true chance and finally realized it is the pinnacle of pool play. Watch a few racks of “the big one” between chohan and orcullo. Sick one pocket, ridiculously tough/creative shots and position. I’ll agree it can be boring at times, like up table games, but just skip ahead or study it.

Maybe you’ve already truly tried to get into it but I don’t think so. The nature of one pocket brings out the best shot making in my opinion, as long as you’re watching good aggressive players. Anyway I feel I’ve done my good deed for the day, up here on me high horse.