RDS 100 CHALLENGE – Enter for Free and Win Prizes

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mastering the final test of Billiards University requires one rack in rotation?
To master the progressive version of RDS, you need to be able to consistently run 2 out of 3 racks of 15-ball rotation, which is very difficult. To master the RDS 100 Challenge, you need to run 140 balls over the 16 levels, culminated by one rack of 15-ball rotation.

How many of us have ran the wagon wheel drill night after night and still came out below 80%? That was only one section of the first exam. New content is great, but you set the bar pretty high already. I don’t think this is- THE NEXT STEP to greatness.
BU Exam I (Fundamentals) and Exam II (Skills) are stand-alone as a well-rounded test of all important pool skills. I agree with you that mastering them by getting perfect scores is nearly impossible, even for top pros. BU Exam III (Advanced Shots) is for practicing fun, challenging, and famous shots. And BU Exam IV (RDS) is a fun progressive/adaptive tool for learning and testing run-out skills. Again, all the exams serve different purposes.

Do you plan to enter the RDS 100 Challenge? If so, good luck,
Dave

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave it a quick run through today. I didn’t do to bad or to good for that matter. Was nearly perfect going into the 9 ball game where a 3 ball cluster cost me dearly. Still went into the last rack in halfway decent shape only to get a terrible layout off the break. The 1,2 and 3 were easy but the 4 was surrounded by about 6 balls and no way to break it out with the way the balls were setting. I didn’t tally a final score but was in the 70s.

To score really well on this you will have to be almost perfect going to the last 2 racks and then get good layouts on both of them. What little I’ve played 15 ball rotation it seems like getting a good layout is the hardest part unless your a world class player and just do whatever you want with the cue ball which I most certainly ain’t.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I gave it a quick run through today. I didn’t do to bad or to good for that matter. Was nearly perfect going into the 9 ball game where a 3 ball cluster cost me dearly. Still went into the last rack in halfway decent shape only to get a terrible layout off the break. The 1,2 and 3 were easy but the 4 was surrounded by about 6 balls and no way to break it out with the way the balls were setting. I didn’t tally a final score but was in the 70s.
That is a good score. You should enter the Challenge by posting a video and accurate score.

To score really well on this you will have to be almost perfect going to the last 2 racks and then get good layouts on both of them. What little I’ve played 15 ball rotation it seems like getting a good layout is the hardest part unless your a world class player and just do whatever you want with the cue ball which I most certainly ain’t.
Agreed. A really high score will take excellent shooting AND a little luck.

Catch you later,
Dave

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a good score. You should enter the Challenge by posting a video and accurate score.

Agreed. A really high score will take excellent shooting AND a little luck.

Catch you later,
Dave

I may try and record a video and submit it when I get a little more time.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well I managed a 89 today.... Assuming I didn't screw up on the rules in some fashion.

Should have easily been a 92 as I left 3 balls on at level 9 with still having 2 BIHs at my disposal...lol

Anyways, I took a video of it and will submit when I get the change to upload.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I managed a 89 today.... Assuming I didn't screw up on the rules in some fashion.

Should have easily been a 92 as I left 3 balls on at level 9 with still having 2 BIHs at my disposal...lol

Anyways, I took a video of it and will submit when I get the change to upload.
That's an awesome score! I look forward to seeing your video.

Good work,
Dave

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
That's an awesome score! I look forward to seeing your video.

Good work,
Dave

Lol... Looks like I screwed up. Missed level 16 entirely. :p

I paused your RDS break down video to write down the level info. I'm going to blame the YT overlaid video controls on the mistake.

I'll give it another go today. Maybe even the whole thing this time...lol

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol... Looks like I screwed up. Missed level 16 entirely. :p
Bummer. That Level 16 really kills my scores sometimes. It is harsh when the 1 is tied up with no shot after the break (not even a bank, carom, or kiss).

I paused your RDS break down video to write down the level info. I'm going to blame the YT overlaid video controls on the mistake.

I'll give it another go today. Maybe even the whole thing this time...lol
Good luck. FYI, it might help to have the RDS document handy as a printout or pulled up on a device while you work through the levels. Here it is:

Runout Drill System (RDS) Instructions and Diagrams

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are only 4 entries so far. Let's see some AZB'ers showing us their stuff. It might be very easy to win some of the prizes. Again, it doesn't cost anything to enter.

Good luck,
Dave

FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating a score-based version of the Runout Drill System (RDS), consisting of a set of 16 break-and-run challenges of increasing levels of difficulty. In the scored version of RDS (RDS 100), you run through one rack at each level, starting with 100 points and deducting points left on the table after each miss or foul. Check it out:

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests. I also hope you decide to enter the Challenge and try to beat my 77.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating a score-based version of the Runout Drill System (RDS), consisting of a set of 16 break-and-run challenges of increasing levels of difficulty. In the scored version of RDS (RDS 100), you run through one rack at each level, starting with 100 points and deducting points left on the table after each miss or foul. Check it out:

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests. I also hope you decide to enter the Challenge and try to beat my 77.

Good luck,
Dave
There are only 4 entries so far. Let's see some AZB'ers showing us their stuff. It might be very easy to win some of the prizes. Again, it doesn't cost anything to enter.
FYI, the top 3 scores and a random lottery draw winner all get to choose from any of the following the prize offerings:

"Got English?" T-shirt

Billiard University (BU) 3-DVD Instructional Video set

BU Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate of Pool diploma (with submittal of BU Exam I and Exam II videos)

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve gave it a couple runs and have mid 60s on both attempts but was in the 90s going into the last 4 racks. One attempt I had 88 going into the last rack but clusters are killing me. Today I was perfect going to the 8 ball game and had 8 balls cluster up on the end rail on the opposite end of the table. Dogged the first ball trying to break them up.

I playing on a 9’ Diamond with 6 year old cloth. It’s brutal

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve gave it a couple runs and have mid 60s on both attempts but was in the 90s going into the last 4 racks. One attempt I had 88 going into the last rack but clusters are killing me. Today I was perfect going to the 8 ball game and had 8 balls cluster up on the end rail on the opposite end of the table. Dogged the first ball trying to break them up.

I playing on a 9’ Diamond with 6 year old cloth. It’s brutal
I have also had lots of RDS 100 disappointment the last few days, so I know the feeling. I try to console myself by saying the practice is good. I wouldn't be practicing this much if I didn't have the Challenge to motivate me.

Show us a video soon.

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I gave it another run tonight. I can tell that I've been out of pool practice for a long time. The pressure started to get to me on relatively easy shots and I ended up only getting a 71. I dogged a number of shots that I feel like I'm a lock to make and it cost me around 15 points overall. I'm planning on running this drill a few more times as I think it's really a good practice routine if you are solo and don't feel like drills.

-td

[p.s. - I have to admit that I wish there as a "bypass" for the first few (maybe 5 or 6 or 7) levels - say if you have certain BUI, BUII or BUIII scores. ha!]

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I gave it another run tonight. I can tell that I've been out of pool practice for a long time. The pressure started to get to me on relatively easy shots and I ended up only getting a 71. I dogged a number of shots that I feel like I'm a lock to make and it cost me around 15 points overall.
71 is very good. You should post a video and enter the contest. 71 might be good enough to place; and even if it isn't, you still have a chance to win in the lottery division.

I'm planning on running this drill a few more times as I think it's really a good practice routine if you are solo and don't feel like drills.

[p.s. - I have to admit that I wish there as a "bypass" for the first few (maybe 5 or 6 or 7) levels - say if you have certain BUI, BUII or BUIII scores. ha!]
I've been using the RDS 100 Challenge for practice a lot lately also, and I have not been able to beat my 77 after many attempts. It is very frustrating at times, especially when the miss of a single easy shot can cause a large point deduction. I guess the message is: Don't Miss!

I also get very bored and sloppy running through all of the early levels and wish there were a "bypass" option, but it is good training to try to maintain focus and not miss even when the early runouts are easy.

I look forward to seeing video(s) from you soon.

Good luck,
Dave

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I also get very bored and sloppy running through all of the early levels and wish there were a "bypass" option, but it is good training to try to maintain focus and not miss even when the early runouts are easy.

This is my problem....lol For some reason I also manage to slug rack myself fairly often using my template.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is my problem....lol For some reason I also manage to slug rack myself fairly often using my template.
All these problems are easy to fix. Give yourself good racks, and don't miss. :grin-square:

Good luck,
Dave

PS: Show us a video soon.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I wasn't happy with my 70s and I really thought I could do better. I buckled down tonight and my run started off well. [Note1: I had a little mental lapse and ran Level 5 twice (both successfully)]. My first big mistake was on Level 10 [6 ball] where I left 4 balls on the table. :(
And then I flubbed level 12 (8-ball) due to a bad break with clusters. -4 there as well. But, 92 after level 12!

After that, I missed one ball along the way, but I was in gear and basically ran out. My only question is whether making the 9-ball on the break counts as a win on level 14 [under 9-ball rules it does]. I continued the run anyway but left 2 balls. So, I either scored a 91 or a 89.

Note2: Like you, I had to jump a ball to save a run. Mine was on level 16 hopping the 14 with jump-draw to make the 8 for shape on the run out.

I don't think I'm going to try again as this was pretty taxing!

Video: https://youtu.be/c83316wM1jE [Edit: 6X video for easy viewing - https://youtu.be/xC9W6wF2huY

Final note: My main camera has a 30 minute limit. There's a short gap for that view when I start/stop every 30 minutes or so. But, I run 2 cameras and my Gopro has a continuous view for the whole challenge.

-td

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wasn't happy with my 70s and I really thought I could do better. I buckled down tonight and my run started off well. [Note1: I had a little mental lapse and ran Level 5 twice (both successfully)]. My first big mistake was on Level 10 [6 ball] where I left 4 balls on the table. :(
And then I flubbed level 12 (8-ball) due to a bad break with clusters. -4 there as well. But, 92 after level 12!

After that, I missed one ball along the way, but I was in gear and basically ran out. My only question is whether making the 9-ball on the break counts as a win on level 14 [under 9-ball rules it does]. I continued the run anyway but left 2 balls. So, I either scored a 91 or a 89.

Note2: Like you, I had to jump a ball to save a run. Mine was on level 16 hopping the 14 with jump-draw to make the 8 for shape on the run out.

I don't think I'm going to try again as this was pretty taxing!

Video: https://youtu.be/c83316wM1jE [Edit: 6X video for easy viewing - https://youtu.be/xC9W6wF2huY]

Final note: My main camera has a 30 minute limit. There's a short gap for that view when I start/stop every 30 minutes or so. But, I run 2 cameras and my Gopro has a continuous view for the whole challenge.

-td
Wow! Very Impressive. You are now in 1st place! FYI, I added your info to the RDS 100 Challenge video description and pinned comment.

Here's the pertinent rule from the first page of the RDS document concerning Level 14:
"in all rotation racks, if you pocket the highest numbered ball early, you must still run the remaining balls in rotation."

Good work (especially on those last two levels),
Dave

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Here's the pertinent rule from the first page of the RDS document concerning Level 14:
"in all rotation racks, if you pocket the highest numbered ball early, you must still run the remaining balls in rotation."
Gotcha. I did go back and review the rules but I totally missed that rotation note. Thanks!

So - 89 it is! And 7 of the missing balls were easily makeable. Missing 4 on the 6 ball rack was brutal.

-td