IPAT Yes or No

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys from what i can tell I am a solid B player. Do you think at this point in my game the IPAT would be helpful? I keep hearing great things about it and would love to try it out but the price is making me waver a little bit.

Let me know what you think.

Charlie

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Anything that motivates you to work on skills to improve your game will help.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I say yes.
I have the my 4 last books for $75.00 if somebody wants them.
I might have a DVD set still available $85.00.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone posted a link where you could try them for a few days or something a while back.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
For sure yes. This is instruction created by both actual instructors and one of the most textbook straight shooting pros ever, Thorsten Hohmann. I've heard good things about it as well.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The Pat Series is a nice training-
There are several books available. At first the books with the official tests themselves, and 1 or 2 additional training-books- these books i can really recommend. (i m not sure if any additional books are also available in english-but i ll try to get the info). The DVD s are very interesting imo. And the first DVd is one of the best i ve ever seen. The first 20-30 minutes of DVD 1 are about fundamental technics and explained by Andreas Huber and Ralph Eckert, two absolutly pro-instructors (Huber also german team instructor, crazy guy !)
The additional training books showing step by step to solve the problems on the 3 official tests. If you like to work solo-get em all. Imo all the money worth.

timseal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The blogger FastMikie has a spreadsheet that greatly helps with the scoring, and a bunch of videos of him doing the drills.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Charlie you are a great player. I think that your skills are solid you need pattern, and strategy experience.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ForumGhost516 said:
Hey guys from what i can tell I am a solid B player. Do you think at this point in my game the IPAT would be helpful?
For higher-level players I think the best "practice" would be playing tournaments and/or gambling with other very good players where you will get PUNISHED for your mistakes. Doing that will allow you the opportunity to develop a level of focus, experience, and mental toughness that cannot be attained simply through drills alone.

IMO, if you want to do drills, play the ghost (9-ball, 10-ball, 12-ball, 1-pocket), set goals, keep track of your score, and save your $$$.

BENFICA said:
I say yes.
I have the my 4 last books for $75.00 if somebody wants them.
I might have a DVD set still available $85.00.
May I ask what speed do you play?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Pro s usualy work on their skills solo. Tournaments are their *work*- so they have to prepare for. The more a Pro keep workin on his fundamentals the less he has to think about it on tournaments.

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two detailed reviews of the books and videos on my blog.

Review of IPAT Start & Level 1

Review of IPAT Levels 2 & 3

For what they are, they're excellent, though the scoring is WAY too hard to understand IMO. If you do decide to buy them, send me a PM w/your email addr and I'll send you a sheet that will make it easy to calculate your score.

You might want to give very serious consideration to the advice JamisonNeu is giving you. These books and videos won't do much for your pattern work or game strategy. Perhaps lessons on those specific things from an advanced player who can articulate why one shot is the better one to take, or why one route is better than another, would be more valuable, though your money probably won't go far, as these kinds of instructors aren't easy to find and won't be cheap.

kicksnsticks

Registered
Nice reviews John. And thanks for link to your blog.
I am just back to game after a 35-40 yr hiatus and have found the IPat drills really helpful in both practice discipline and making improvement.
I'll also send you a pm about your scoring sheet. thanks