Olhausen "death rattle" modification.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good work! They should do that from the factory. This might be a dumb question but, did you install new rubber?

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Good work! They should do that from the factory. This might be a dumb question but, did you install new rubber?

No, kept the existing Accu Fast cushions. These cushions are pretty soft as cushions go, which also contributes to the balls rattling out too easy.

The thicker 3/16" facing should help to correct the problem, along with the pocket angle change.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No, kept the existing Accu Fast cushions. These cushions are pretty soft as cushions go, which also contributes to the balls rattling out too easy.

The thicker 3/16" facing should help to correct the problem, along with the pocket angle change.

You did some pretty good work there Jack, and I know your heart was in it as well, but....you really should have replaced the cushions with new cushions and let the customer know that stretching cushions that far only takes the elasticity out of the cushions by making them tighter with the stretch. Picture a rubber band with no stretch on it end to end, then picture it stretched as far as it will go end to end, it becomes much tighter, thinner and the elasticity is gone. It's the elasticity that helps to rebound the balls. Yes it can be done the way you did it, using the same cushions over again...as you did, but the best results come from replacing the cushions so they don't have to be stretched like that.

Glen

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
You did some pretty good work there Jack, and I know your heart was in it as well, but....you really should have replaced the cushions with new cushions and let the customer know that stretching cushions that far only takes the elasticity out of the cushions by making them tighter with the stretch. Picture a rubber band with no stretch on it end to end, then picture it stretched as far as it will go end to end, it becomes much tighter, thinner and the elasticity is gone. It's the elasticity that helps to rebound the balls. Yes it can be done the way you did it, using the same cushions over again...as you did, but the best results come from replacing the cushions so they don't have to be stretched like that.

Glen

:confused: Hey Glen..I am confused..At Alsip you showed us in the back of your truck how to reuse and stretch the cushion when applying. You said it made for a more lively cushion. Did you change your mind?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
:confused: Hey Glen..I am confused..At Alsip you showed us in the back of your truck how to reuse and stretch the cushion when applying. You said it made for a more lively cushion. Did you change your mind?

No, that was reinstalling the same cushions back on the rails that were unglued, and only stretched just a little. When correcting pocket angle or making the pockets smaller, the amount the cushions have to be stretched at that point makes them stiffer when it comes to ball reaction off the rails, meaning a little slower acting. I don't like charging for cushions if I don't have to because it just adds another straw to the camels back, but at the same time, I know when I can't use them again as well. That's not saying the cushions can't be reused, just no on the same size rails unless you're going to match up the same length cushions, or a shorter set of rails, meaning a smaller table in size.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
No, that was reinstalling the same cushions back on the rails that were unglued, and only stretched just a little. When correcting pocket angle or making the pockets smaller, the amount the cushions have to be stretched at that point makes them stiffer when it comes to ball reaction off the rails, meaning a little slower acting. I don't like charging for cushions if I don't have to because it just adds another straw to the camels back, but at the same time, I know when I can't use them again as well. That's not saying the cushions can't be reused, just no on the same size rails unless you're going to match up the same length cushions, or a shorter set of rails, meaning a smaller table in size.

:thumbup: I gotcha!!!!

JZMechanix

Silver Member
mission accomplished

I was able to play for about an hour on the table after I got everything put back together. The rails played great, as did the pockets. The customer was happy and could tell a huge difference in the way the pockets accepted balls hit with speed down the rails.

20140107_201754.jpg

20140107_201621.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
the up angle of the jaws.

I was wondering what the correct up angle is on the jaws? I see you use 141 on the pockets.

Thanks

Trent

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
thanks!

Thanks! Your project has inspired me to work on my tables "death rattle"!! it is terrible and I have tried to ignore it chalking it up to a practice table. No more!

Thanks again

Trent from Toledo

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Thanks! Your project has inspired me to work on my tables "death rattle"!! it is terrible and I have tried to ignore it chalking it up to a practice table. No more!

Thanks again

Trent from Toledo

It is a relatively easy fix if you have the right tools to adjust the angles.

The table owner had the same feelings as you. He would shoot on the table and get so frustrated that he would just give up and quit playing.

I think he was skeptical as I was explaining to him what I was going to do to correct the problem, but once he played on the modified pockets he was a believer lol :D

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I just got my tool

Ok, this is gonna sound super funny, but, what is the technical term for the tool I bought on ebay last year
$T2eC16Z,!)QE9s3HFhL,BRsT3MOMkw~~60_12.JPG
that shows the angles?? I call it an angle finder, but, I know it has a technical name.

Thanks again

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, this is gonna sound super funny, but, what is the technical term for the tool I bought on ebay last year
$T2eC16Z,!)QE9s3HFhL,BRsT3MOMkw~~60_12.JPG
that shows the angles?? I call it an angle finder, but, I know it has a technical name.

Thanks again

Not a mechanic.... But another tool you might find handy and is often used in conjunction with a protractor is a sliding bevel gage.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
i had that in mind

Protractor! I had that in mind, but, it looks totally different from the ones I have seen/used before. I got that one on ebay :) Any suggestions on a sliding bevel gauge? shinwa makes one too :)
Thanks!

Trent

Last edited:

MartyG00

Registered
Jack/Glenn, I have an Olhausen Sheraton Oak Table with the Accufast Cushions that I am going to have recovered in the near future. Do you think just using the facings without removing or replacing the cushions would help any?

Marty

JZMechanix

Silver Member
It wouldn't hurt... but the more effective fix is to modify the pocket angles.

The accufast cushions are soft, so removing the cheap 1/8" factory facing and using the 3/16" neoprene will help it play better, but then you'll also be tightening the pocket opening by 1/8" which will still make it play more difficult.