Bob Owen @ Shurtz Cues Injured His Hand Today (10-19-18)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Bob Owen friends and fans out on the Forum, I learned earlier today that Bob
literally severed off the top 1/3rd of the middle finger of his right hand...a nasty wound.

The middle finger is pretty important not only for grasping a pool cue but as a custom
cue-maker, there's extensive manual dexterity and precision assembly of the cue's
components. Fortunately, he posted on Facebook the doctors were able to repair his
middle finger using 7 stitches & the wound looks ghastly & well suited for Halloween.

Please join me in wishing him a speedy recovery and hoping he heals quickly. For the
more morbid, you can visit Bob's Facebook page & behold his new Frankenstein look.
All things considered, Bob is just fortunate the doctors were able to salvage his finger.
That's great news as he has lots of cues to make & maybe it's time for to get another.

Matt B.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hope you heal quickly and your dexterity is back to normal

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob tells me that 7 stitches saved the finger and he will be back in the shop today.

Old school work ethic

One of the reasons I admire him

I bought 10 cues,kinda like a 30 year anniversary edition ,yet custom

For $2000 each if you guys want a really perfect cue now would be a good time to reserve one with a tiny deposit

within a year you will be king of the block at your pool room

Why shouldn't i use the emotional appeal of helping Bob to get you to make the best buy of your life

take advantage of this volume savings now,get a $3000 plus cue for only $2000

PM or CALL
dean
214 477 7323

Will pool for food

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean,

I viewed the design and it looks great so much so I am tempted to get in on the project.
My only hesistancy is I am in possession of a Mottey cue with the same forearm design.

The cues made by Evan turned out to be truly handsome designs,,,,,Cudos on those CP
Schon Tribute Cues.......it was a great idea and all the cue owners seemed thrilled too.

I have a hunch that the cues Bob will be making will far exceed what's been done so far
emulating the heralded CP design others have attempted. Again, the special Schon tribute
cues turned out great but I'd wager that the cues Bob will be making will just be spectacular.

And you're right about Bob being old school in his approach. I heard that after he slices his
finger off, he used duct tape to re-attach it himself so he could finish the wraps on some cues
he promised to ship before the weekend. After going to the post office, the finger came off again
while driving so he stuck it in the glove box, got a coffee at Starbucks and then drove to the ER.

He's is a marvel comic book hero come to life......now the aforementioned didn't actually happen,
but Bob is indeed old school in so many respects. A handshake is a good as a signed contract
when you do business with Bob and I am telling this thread's readers the CP cue project that Dean
launched with Bob is a rare opportunity to land a fancy custom made exactly to your specs.by one
of the finest cue-makers in America. These cues will be a huge success so act fast if interested.

Matt B.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will be fine

I know another cue maker that also has that injury . He is also a great player. He plays so good , the first time I noticed it I thought maybe that's one of reasons he plays that good. Maybe I should do that , but I was too chicken jackpot

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I know another cue maker that also has that injury . He is also a great player. He plays so good , the first time I noticed it I thought maybe that's one of reasons he plays that good. Maybe I should do that , but I was too chicken jackpot

I met one with a missing half of a finger.
And that wasn't the bad story about him.
The other one was someone in his shop was scalped by a lathe.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything Deanoc says about Bob is true. He's a class guy and an excellent craftsman. I've been to his shop several times and have one of his 2005 Shurtz cues. I've played Bob a couple times in local tournaments and he had no trouble dispatching me!

Back when I bought my Shurtz cue from him, he had a small rack by the counter that held cues for sale. You would pick a cue and he would get a shaft for you and you could try it out on one of the tables he had in the front of the shop. A few years later, his shop was broken in to and the cues in that rack were stolen. Since then I haven't seen any in the rack. I think he is doing custom work full time anyway. I heard later that the thief was caught but didn't get any details; so I don't know for sure.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing kind of thing happened to me when I was a kid. Left middle finger tip was crushed moving an old ping pong table. No reattaching for me. It’s all good, though I can’t get too much bridge height on jump shots, can’t play guitar too good either... lol

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Was it a table saw?

We had a kid in shop class we called "stub". Jointer.

JC

I don't know but my late mentor fed his left hand to the table saw blade when he was taking corners of a purpleheart square . It tumbled as he pushed and the blade took a portion of his left pinky and cut most of his knuckles .

We switched to taking corners out with a band saw after that.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
pics please. I don't do facebook.

7 stitches, middle finger. Lathe accident . :eek:
I had my old Logan lathe break my ring finger and smack another finger.
Saw the headstock cover go down on my lathe mentor's hand as well.
Fkkr was dangerous . Got rid of it for a Clausing.

Bob Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys

One handed typing is fun .. Doing what I can for now, full recovery is expected, don't know how long.

Thanks
Bob Owen

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met one with a missing half of a finger.
And that wasn't the bad story about him.
The other one was someone in his shop was scalped by a lathe.

I witnessed a lathe scalping 25 years ago and it still vividly flashes in my head like yesterday from odd time to time.I feel great sympathy for millitary ptsd cases because stuff like that is horrible and should never be seen.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob,

Spring training camps open in 4 months. Baltimore was the 1st team to announce reporting dates and pitchers & catchers report on Feb. 13 & 14. MLB winter meetings are Dec. 13 -15th in Vegas. Some MLB teams are opening their checkbook for this year's free agency bonanza of available players to sign.

Lets see what our respective teams do in the off-season. Yankees need to unload Elsbury & Stanton too. Those two clunkers are costing $55 million in salary and even with those guys, Yankees are still under the salary cap. Then they need to let CC slip away & not resign him or Gardner representing another $25 million. That's $80 mill of their 2018 payroll and arbitration will cost them $8-10, maybe $12 miilion more with eligible players like Judge and Gregorius etc. The focus needs to be on the pitching and they have more money they can spend than any other team. Just avoid long term contracts when signing anyone and I hope they run away from the Harper - Machado fiasco when free agency rolls around. So all in all, with so much youth & talent, the Yankees mostly need help on the mound.

So how is the outlook progressing for the Royals? Their road on rebuilding is actually not as bad as say the White Sox or Baltimore's situation. I'll reach out to you next week about the CP cue project and by the way, Scott Lokey has commited to Dean for a CP cue and he's thrillled with the cue you recently completed for him. It did not require any hard selling on my part to convince him to sign up because of how pleased and excited he is with his new cue. He should be...... I still am with the two cues you made for me.

Matt B.