Early Gold Crown III slate dowels

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone reference me some measurements of the slate dowels. I’m thinking about making some out of SS, if they are not available for purchase. My table mechanic used the business card and super glue method and within a year my seam already failed. Now I got balls jumping off my table.

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Ken at Classic Billiards. He deosn't list the slate dowels on his site but he may have them.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If you do make some, please heavily document your journey to share the pics with us! I hate that newer slate does not come with dowels. With all the new technology and machinery,they could easily and precisely dowel the slate.

TFT

P.s. Your mechanic must not have performed the liquid dowels technique correctly.

Can anyone reference me some measurements of the slate dowels. I’m thinking about making some out of SS, if they are not available for purchase. My table mechanic used the business card and super glue method and within a year my seam already failed. Now I got balls jumping off my table.

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m curious as to how the slates could have shifted enough to pop a glued seam. Does that mean the beams moved, shins moved or came out? I would assume the slates were perfectly leveled before glueing, how does this problem happen?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Seems an awful lot of effort, just to remedy an inadequate installation.

When properly installed, the glue method should never fail.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table installation/mechanic was a complete mess. So I’m not super surprised that the seam has failed. My side skirt has also fallen off. Part of the problem was also the rail bolts were from the big box store and they were 1/2in to long. So when they tightened everything up there was pressure on the slate. I noticed a gap under all my rails and took a bolt out and discovered the bolts that were to long. So I replaced and torqued the rails according to RKC. Table played great for about 4 months and then I came out to find a big ole ridge at the seam. So my guess is multiple factors caused it, starting with the piss poor set up.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums