richard

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Looking for contact info on custom cue / repair shops
that offer old growth maple shafts
thank you for your help
richard

I have the nicest old growth blank you'll ever find, just needs collar, tip, ferrule, finish. PM if interested

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What identifies an old growth shaft? 40+ ring count? 5 oz.+ over 29"?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
None of the above; Old growth wood, say 100 year old tree. :) honest seller :)

Mario
I do have some maple shaft blanks that are from wood that was cut in the late 1800s. It is darker colored and not pretty like today's vacuum kiln dried wood, but seems harder to me.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes just because it’s old growth doesn’t mean the rings will be tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is true as different blanks out of the same log can have vastly different ring counts. The reason is each ring represents one year of growth and different weather patterns create different thickness of growth rings. We cut a large oak tree down when I lived in Missouri and the really thin growth rings matched up perfectly to years of recorded droughts.
I think having old trees gives potential for more tight grain shafts, but tight grain is what I look for in my cue shaft for my higher end cues.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I do have some maple shaft blanks that are from wood that was cut in the late 1800s. It is darker colored and not pretty like today's vacuum kiln dried wood, but seems harder to me.

It’s probably heartwood If I had to guess these days for many years the only maple we see for sale is from the sapwood.....far as I’ve ever seen.

I liken that to the same style of bs we know happened with guitar companies cutting all the ebony trees and only using the “jet black” because it’s “the good stuff”.....makes me want to vomit thinking about that they would cull roughly 20 tree to get one they liked.

JC

Coos Cues
Find an old bar cue at your local tavern with a bunch of growth rings. Chances are it's "old growth" whatever value that really has. I've turned down a bunch of nice shafts from them and they are always darker than the blanks we have now days. Not necessarily heavier though.

JC

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old growth can be described in a different manner.

You must start back a few centuries and WHY did the Europeans want to discover new lands, then they found North America.

By that time in human history, the good old growth trees for shipbuilding had all been destroyed, they were too stupid to plant 5 for ever tree removed.

Old growth grows up in a different environment than new growth. I planted thousands of trees in my teenage years, all that were planted had no older trees surrounding them, they had complete sunlight and grew real fast.

Old growth starts life differently, when the tree starts life in a natural manner, it already has large trees surrounding it and therefore has limited light and grows much slower.

Old growth still exists in nature, it's the only thing I ever loaded onto a log truck to take to a mill.

Best lesson ANYONE in here can receive? Never buy lumber at home despot. They use a hibred fast growing lumber. Their 1/2" plywood has 4 layers, I have seen them sell it in 3 layer, real lumberyard plywood has 5 layers.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

You must start back a few centuries and WHY did the Europeans want to discover new lands, then they found North America.

By that time in human history, the good old growth trees for shipbuilding had all been destroyed, they were too stupid to plant 5 for ever tree removed.

Old growth grows up in a different environment than new growth. I planted thousands of trees in my teenage years, all that were planted had no older trees surrounding them, they had complete sunlight and grew real fast.

Old growth starts life differently, when the tree starts life in a natural manner, it already has large trees surrounding it and therefore has limited light and grows much slower.

Old growth still exists in nature, it's the only thing I ever loaded onto a log truck to take to a mill.

Best lesson ANYONE in here can receive? Never buy lumber at home despot. They use a hibred fast growing lumber. Their 1/2" plywood has 4 layers, I have seen them sell it in 3 layer, real lumberyard plywood has 5 layers.

It’s allsold in 32nds there now

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

By the way 4 ply is actually 3 ply.....it’s grain runs ns,ew,ew,ns

No such thing as even numbered ply plywood......even if it looks like it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way 4 ply is actually 3 ply.....it’s grain runs ns,ew,ew,ns

No such thing as even numbered ply plywood......even if it looks like it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 ply is 3? I believe it, Thanks for pointing that out. I have never purchased with less than 5 but I always bought from real lumber yards.

Thanks for confirming for the readers, home despot sells crap.