World Cup of Pool 2018 Thread

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow China B heartbreaking way to lose missing the 9 ball hill hill with a trip to the finals for an all China final on the line.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow China B heartbreaking way to lose missing the 9 ball hill hill with a trip to the finals for an all China final on the line.

It was amazingly thrilling match with all the drama included. Both teams deserved their place in the final but I think Austria still is a better team and I just very happy they managed to come back and I think China B had enough luck in their previous matches especially vs team Germany and the luckiest player failed under pressure at the deciding moment. Pretty similar 9-ball missed by Alex against Jason also in a deciding frame during WPM. It would not be so fun to watch China A vs China B in the final...Go on Albin and Mario!

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I haven't watched but by your updates and the scores, it sounds like that was an extremely gripping semifinal round.

Now Austria is looking to be the first country to ever repeat with back to back WC championships...while China A is playing at home trying to make the homeland proud.
Pressure is on China A.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I haven't watched but by your updates and the scores, it sounds like that was an extremely gripping semifinal round.

Now Austria is looking to be the first country to ever repeat with back to back WC championships...while China A is playing at home trying to make the homeland proud.
Pressure is on China A.
china a may make the homeland proud, but not the hometown crowd. there was no one there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
China>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pressure is on China A.
They just SMOKED Austria in the final. Wasn't EVEN close.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
china a may make the homeland proud, but not the hometown crowd. there was no one there.

I do find it really odd, how here (in the UK) 9-Ball is so niche and we mange to sell out every Matchroom event.

Here when you say pool people think of 7ft tables, with snooker style pockets and 2" red and yellow balls, so its pretty amazing it sells out.

Maybe in China as someone else suggested earlier they are really more into Chinese 8-Ball and snooker to some extent?

Or maybe the ticket prices are to high for locals (although unlikely if its in Shanghai).

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
One of the most brutal pool moments I’ve ever seen.

He shot that 9-ball way too fast. He should've composed himself, taken a few deep breaths, and made sure he was in the right frame of mind when he got down to shoot the 9.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched the match yet, but we that a screw up to leave him on the rail for the 9 or was there no other choice?
Unbelievable miss though in that situation

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Surely I expected a full arena for the finals. But if it was on tv for free over there maybe that's why they didn't fill the stands.
Also, it appears the crowd has more fun In the UK at matchroom events with more nationalities present to cheer on their team
Last year, team India entered with a drum line hammering out the entrance theme. It was cool.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched the match yet, but we that a screw up to leave him on the rail for the 9 or was there no other choice?
Unbelievable miss though in that situation

No it was a good shot to get him there. He had an almost-straight 5-ft. draw back on the 8.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He shot that 9-ball way too fast. He should've composed himself, taken a few deep breaths, and made sure he was in the right frame of mind when he got down to shoot the 9.

The big thing is he jumped up right after he shot the ball.

I've watched a lot of pool/snooker, and I've found the one thing the best players today all do is stay down on the shot.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do find it really odd, how here (in the UK) 9-Ball is so niche and we mange to sell out every Matchroom event.

Here when you say pool people think of 7ft tables, with snooker style pockets and 2" red and yellow balls, so its pretty amazing it sells out.

Maybe in China as someone else suggested earlier they are really more into Chinese 8-Ball and snooker to some extent?

Or maybe the ticket prices are to high for locals (although unlikely if its in Shanghai).

Maybe it hasn't been marketed so well in China - I dunno. It is a niche in the UK but I guess it appeals to two kinds of fans - i) the real pool fans actually play as well either at a high standard or at least as a hobby, ii) the more casual sports fans who probably have hardly or never played on a 9ft table who are excited to watch the pros play. I'm just guessing here - but Matchroom certainly knows how to get the message out there in the UK. Plus, despite the constant grumbles about the economy, plenty of people have plenty of money to spend on this kind of event when it comes to town.

Assuming that the contract for Shanghai is locked in for a few years, hopefully there will be bigger crowds next time following on from the success of the two China teams.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know on what basis the bronze medal was awarded to Chinese Taipei? There doesn't appear to have been a 3rd-4th place match and they lost 9-7 in the semi while China B lost 9-8. On count back racks won-lost over the course of the competition?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it hasn't been marketed so well in China - I dunno. It is a niche in the UK but I guess it appeals to two kinds of fans - i) the real pool fans actually play as well either at a high standard or at least as a hobby, ii) the more casual sports fans who probably have hardly or never played on a 9ft table who are excited to watch the pros play. I'm just guessing here - but Matchroom certainly knows how to get the message out there in the UK. Plus, despite the constant grumbles about the economy, plenty of people have plenty of money to spend on this kind of event when it comes to town.

Assuming that the contract for Shanghai is locked in for a few years, hopefully there will be bigger crowds next time following on from the success of the two China teams.

I've watched many tournaments over there the crowds have never been something to write home about certainly not in the U.K. Class , and who knows what sky sports does to prop there venues up other than gambling

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He pushed it, kind of like Alex did on that easy nine ball he missed to win/lose a recent match (I think it was in the Bigfoot Challenge this year).

You may be thinking of the quarterfinal match vs. Shaw at the 2017 World Pool Masters. Alex missed a similar 9-ball at hill/hill.