Larry Price -- among bankings elite?

Warren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the topic of bank pool comes up, you hear about the usual suspects who are at the top, like John Brumback, Jason Miller, Brian Gregg, Piggy Banks etc or the older legends like Truman Hogue, Gary Spaeth, Freddy the beard,etc....rarely have I heard the name Larry Price. Yet he has won the Derby City bank title twice, and I'm fairly sure he took a long break from Derby City after the first one (meaning he has won it twice with fewer chances than alot of those guys). Where do you think Price sits among the legends of bank pool, past and present? Warren..

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think you don,t win the derby twice against the best field on the planet unless you are among the elite. larry probably has a better all around game than any of the elite bankers also except for shannon d. and maybe jason miller.

cincyman

Banned
I know Larry pretty well and i would say i dont think he is "banking" elite per se. But i say he is an "elite" player who is capable of winning any tournament and beating ANY player at any given day.

Now dont get me wrong he plays bank pool great but he is such a smart player and at the derby bank pool is your best chance to in theory beat a champion if you can play a little. And that is the reason imo Larry has won the tourny twice--- He absolutely refuse to shoot the wrong shot and that single handidly will win you bank matches.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
Larry plays all games very well. He stayed under the radar for a long time too. I think he has taken a little hiatus from pool (for whatever reasons), but when he is playing, he is a threat.

Southpaw

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on what I've seen I'd say he is absolutely a top banker.

He has won the DCC banks tournament 2x. I'd put him in full rack banks against anyone except maybe shannon or brumback.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
maxeypad2007 said:
Based on what I've seen I'd say he is absolutely a top banker.

He has won the DCC banks tournament 2x. I'd put him in full rack banks against anyone except maybe shannon or brumback.

Well Tony Fargo has an open invitation for ANYONE to play full rack banks. I believe his quote was "the World's got action!" but so far no takers. However, Larry is definitely a world class banker. His 2 wins at DCC in that kind of company is the real deal. I would certainly put him in the pile with Daulton, Gregg, Fargo, Freddy, Brumback and a few others.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have traveled some with Larry and his backer. Larry is a nice guy but that can turn when he is on the table. He is a competitor to say the least. I have seen his best game and probably his worst game. All in all he plays great pool. He is taking some time off for a couple of months as he stayed on the road quite a bit leading up to DCC. But his backer told me they were headed for the west coast in a month or so. So look out!!

Gary

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ky Boy said:
I have traveled some with Larry and his backer. Larry is a nice guy but that can turn when he is on the table. He is a competitor to say the least. I have seen his best game and probably his worst game. All in all he plays great pool. He is taking some time off for a couple of months as he stayed on the road quite a bit leading up to DCC. But his backer told me they were headed for the west coast in a month or so. So look out!!

Gary

I've watched Larry play many times and all I've seen is gentlemanly behavior. I'm sure if someone tried to make any kind of move on him, he would speak up, and quite loudly at that. My read on him, is that if you're cool, so is he. Good enough for me.