Jeanette Lee's version - it's different

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KoolKat9Lives said:
----------------------------------
Willie wrote: As the first match began, she did remember the Calcutta, but could NOT initially remember what the buyer looked like (she is approached by a LOT of people at every pool event she attends). She then asked Brian Gregg to find the buyer and let him know that she would take half of herself. Brian told her that he DID find the buyer, and that the buyer WAS in agreement. A few matches later, the buyer had not approached her for the money, and she had been too busy to find him; so she again asked Brian Gregg to remind the buyer that she was in for half. Brian did so, and told Jeanette that the buyer had responded ?That?s fine.? Nesli O?Hare was with Brian at this time, and confirms that this is what the buyer said in agreement. Jeanette felt that an agreement was in place, but did want to pay him at the first opportunity. The buyer never approached her for payment.
----------------------------------------------------
The buyer was under no obligation at this time to agree to this. It was now his option, as the first matches had begun. But he did. The buyer assumed some risk in this agreement when he said yes without Jeanette's $70 in hand.

Yes, both parties should have handled this differently, but IMO, there was an agreement. If I had said yes to Greg, I would have honored it. But that's me. Sometimes I am too loyal to my word, sometimes it bites me in the back, but I'm ok with that.

You are quoting - what Don said Jeannette said Brian said. This does not constitute being what available witnesses said. That is almost as bad as a guy my cousin's brother knows says. Brian posts here as often as he likes and has not spoken up. I could care less who is correct here, but please do not make erroneous statements as no one here has posted as to being a witness on Jeannette's behalf. Again, not to condemn her, but do not for any reason think that even the best of us do not make mistakes.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cincyman said:
THE BUYER,, THE BUYER THE BUYER HAS to offer the PLAYER half as per rules of the Calcutta,, the PLAYER the PLAYER can refuse to buy half, thats ok but... what i am saying is the BUYER, the one who bought has to offer half to the PLAYER no exceptions....... am i wrong??:thumbup:

Mark -

The buyer did offer.

JL wanted to "evaluate".

She snoozed and loozed (?)

Sometimes I crack me up!

Ken

cincyman

Banned
Ken_4fun said:
Mark -

The buyer did offer.

JL wanted to "evaluate".

Sometimes I crack me up!

Ken
Oh i know,, i was just really being sarcastic to Marissa who tried to correct me, I think i understand this situation totally :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :deadhorse:

Oh and please dont ever correct me:cool: again

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds The Same To Me

Ken_4fun said:
Mark -

The buyer did offer.

JL wanted to "evaluate".

Sometimes I crack me up!

Ken

I've read through 3 different threads and they all are summed up well by Ken.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cincyman said:
Oh i know,, i was just really being sarcastic to Marissa who tried to correct me, I think i understand this situation totally :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :deadhorse:

Oh and please dont ever correct me:cool: again

Please don't open a can of :angry: CHUCK NORRIS:angry: in here!!! :slap:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Let's just say we both pick a player in a tournament to see goes the farthest. I am not quite sure. I want to "check the field and payout." After my guys wins a couple, I don't come to you. I send someone else to make sure we still are betting. Come on. What would you tell me? Bottom line is.... BEFORE a ball is struck, you want half, you got it. Not after. She knows this. And... it 's hard for me to believe someone was so rude, she'd forfeit. If he was at that level, he would've been leveled by someone as loved as Jeanette is in there I'm sure.

Just because someone is famous, doesn't change the rules. How about this. Put yours truly in JL's spot. If I did this, would we be having this discussion? No. I would be told I should've gotten down when I had the chance.

Rep to you. In reading through these threads, this is what I feel is one of the key issues that many are missing or ignoring. Love Jeanette and all, but she should have known this outcome was a possibility and just stayed away from this situation altogether imho.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
We're talking about pool here. I'm sure different tour, independent tournaments, and local small tournaments have different rules for the buyer/seller in their Calcuta's. I would go with say yes and pay before tournament starts would be the way to go. Johnnyt.

cincyman

Banned
iba7467 said:
Please don't open a can of :angry: CHUCK NORRIS:angry: in here!!! :slap:
He's my buddy although he is a NIT and i can speak of him anyway i want:D Hell I might even invite him over to play pool,,,, nevermind:indecisive: :bash: He never brings anything and always drinks my wifes foofy drinks with an umbrella

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cincyman said:
He's my buddy although he is a NIT and i can speak of him anyway i want:D Hell I might even invite him over to play pool,,,, nevermind:indecisive: :bash: He never brings anything and always drinks my wifes foofy drinks with an umbrella

That did it!

Going to the can opener....

By the way, did anyone ever tell you that your daughter looks more like your brother than you? Well this close to Kentucky, I guess its alright.

:rolleyes:

Ken

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
Well, if I had to pick sides, and I don't, I'll take the courageous path and go with the hot chick on this one. :D

Sorry calcutta dude, you're outta luck! :D

"Quisquis habitum vox habitum verum"

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Even C players know if you want your half in the calcutta, you have to square it up before the tournament starts. You dont ask third parties to do your business and if you do, you have no one to blame but yourself if things go fubar.

Even if 100% of what she says is true, she is still in the wrong for not getting her calcutta squared.

Yknow what though?....big fking deal! She IS a saint compared to what I have seen firsthand go down with calcuttas and players conspiring to maximize the payout with no regard to the calcutta buyers. As easily as the buyer told her no, she could have gone ahead and chopped the money up in a parking lot discussion with the few remaining players. Alot of pool players who are NOT being slammed on this board have done this very same thing.

I dont hold it against her for quitting to piss the guy off (yeah, yeah, i know she says she quit bc she was upset and not to get back at the guy, but cmon we are all adults here with at least a bit of pool smarts). Seriously, that guy could easily have predicted thats what was coming next when the discussion got heated between them.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I've been trying real hard to stay out of this, somewhat emotional, thread, especially since I was not witness to the incident.

One thing should always be an absolute. That is that EVERYONE is accountable for their own actions, whether they be players, spectators, or Godesses. :wink:

Just sayin.

Jim

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Unfortunately, when the person who bought her came up to her and offered her half, she stated she would PROBABLY buy half, but wanted to wait a few minutes and check things out.

This statement says it all. Probably does not mean yes.

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
Mark -

The buyer did offer.

JL wanted to "evaluate".

Sometimes I crack me up!

Ken

it doesnt get any more simple than this.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
iba7467 said:
You are quoting - what Don said Jeannette said Brian said. This does not constitute being what available witnesses said. That is almost as bad as a guy my cousin's brother knows says. Brian posts here as often as he likes and has not spoken up. I could care less who is correct here, but please do not make erroneous statements as no one here has posted as to being a witness on Jeannette's behalf. Again, not to condemn her, but do not for any reason think that even the best of us do not make mistakes.

Daniel, with all due respect, what exactly is "erroneous" about my statement:

"When one of the most popular, successful women in pool gives her side of a calcutta incident gone awry, replete with available witnesses, who do many people side with?"

She gave her account thru Willebetmore (Don), stating there were witnesses to the agreement.

A deal is a deal in my book, period. I see other's viewpoints as well; others that have far more experience in calcuttas than I.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Jeanette Lee contacted me yesterday evening when she heard there was some controversy regarding her decision to withdraw from the tournament last weekend; and asked me to present the details (which are significantly different than presented in the other threads) and to explain her motives (which are VERY different than those proposed and speculated upon in the other threads).

She was quite reluctant to do this, as it is not a flattering story regarding the person who bought her in the Calcutta; but felt forced to respond to clarify things for her fans, who might be confused by the large amount of misinformation and speculation on the forum (unfortunately par for the course here on AZB?we LOVE to speculate and pontificate).

#1. She did NOT enter the tournament to ?take off? a ?C tournament? as has been proposed elsewhere. She has tremendous respect for Brian Gregg (and his partner Jack Taylor), considers him a good friend, and wants to support his ventures in any way possible. She also enjoys the competition (which is QUITE strong ? open to local players such as Brian Gregg, Steve Oaks, Jeff Beckley, Everett Snow, Tony Blankenship, Brian Groce, George Breedlove, Dan Walden?.Efren does NOT have to win this thing if he enters). She takes time away from family and business to play in these events in hopes of helping to promote the local pool scene. The money involved is small, insignificant, and played NO part in her decisions. She was ASKED by the promoters to participate as often as she can to help the tournament.

#2. She felt forced to withdraw and forfeit because of the extreme rudeness and poor behavior of person who bought her in the Calcutta, NOT through any petulant desire to make a few bucks at the last minute ? the money had NOTHING to do with it. Also, it was NOT THE LAST MATCH OF THE TOURNAMENT when she withdrew, just near the end of the winner?s bracket (the person to whom she forfeited had 2 or 3 more matches to play afterward). Here is the sequence of events:

Jeanette did not buy herself in the Calcutta; and in fact almost never bids on herself (it just drives up the price, and someone always bids on her). As most local players know, she almost always offers to split with the person that does buy her. Unfortunately, when the person who bought her came up to her and offered her half, she stated she would PROBABLY buy half, but wanted to wait a few minutes and check things out. This was definitely a mistake on her part, because though she decided nearly immediately that she wanted to buy half, she then had to get back on the phone and computer, and started with her matches; totally forgetting about the Calcutta. During their initial conversation the buyer seemed understanding and polite.

As the first match began, she did remember the Calcutta, but could NOT initially remember what the buyer looked like (she is approached by a LOT of people at every pool event she attends). She then asked Brian Gregg to find the buyer and let him know that she would take half of herself. Brian told her that he DID find the buyer, and that the buyer WAS in agreement. A few matches later, the buyer had not approached her for the money, and she had been too busy to find him; so she again asked Brian Gregg to remind the buyer that she was in for half. Brian did so, and told Jeanette that the buyer had responded ?That?s fine.? Nesli O?Hare was with Brian at this time, and confirms that this is what the buyer said in agreement. Jeanette felt that an agreement was in place, but did want to pay him at the first opportunity. The buyer never approached her for payment.

Near the end of the winner?s bracket (NOT the finals of the tournament, NOT the finals of the winner?s bracket), Jeanette had the buyer paged to the desk; wanting to pay him her share. Evidently at this point the buyer changed his mind and now wished to renege on his verbal agreement to buy half, and that he should have been paid the cash ahead of time. He let loose with an extremely rude and accusatory tone; flatly implying that there was no agreement since he had not been paid, and that she was lying about her intentions (despite his conversations with Brian Gregg); declaring, ?Well, you had time to get on the microphone and talk about your school, talk to your friends, and you couldn?t come up with $70.? Jeanette states that, ?he talked to me like I was garbage, he was a complete and utter jerk; and was flat out rude.? His contention was that she was just going to wait until the end of the tournament, and if she did well try to get half; and evidently not pay him if she didn?t do well (despite his statement to Brian Gregg that it was ?no problem? for her to buy half). He even said, ?you can?t just wait until the finals to decide? (even though he should have known this was obviously NOT the finals or even close). After protesting his assertions, assuring him (as Brian had told him at the beginning of the tournament) that she wanted to buy half all along; Jeanette specifically asked if the buyer really believed that she was just waiting to pay him so she could weasel out if she didn?t do well, he smugly replied, ?absolutely?, seeming to derive great enjoyment from this fiction.

Jeanette felt so very offended and disturbed by the buyers now antagonistic and disturbing behavior that she withdrew immediately; wanting nothing further to do with him. If physical payment of the money was so important to him, he should have said so to Brian, and he should not have agreed early on to a split. He could have approached her at any time during the tournament for the cash if it was important to him. The paltry amount of money involved had nothing whatsoever to do with her decision. She apologized to Brian Gregg and Jack Taylor for withdrawing, and explained that she could have nothing further to do with this very offensive person, and told him she would be ill if she did anything to make money for this person.

#3. Jeanette (as someone who loves pool more than almost anyone, and as someone who aspires to the highest standards of sportsmanship) totally agrees that it was the buyers right to sell or not. She feels badly that she didn?t just ?hunt him down? right away ? she is in total agreement that such deals are OBVIOUSLY better to be made BEFORE the tournament starts. She would not have had ANY ill feelings toward him if he had politely declined her offer before, during, or after matches had started ? it is totally his right to make the call, HOWEVER HE SHOULD NOT HAVE AGREED TO BRIAN IF THE MONEY COLLECTION WAS A PROBLEM FOR HIM. She would NOT just ask someone at the end of a tournament to sell half, just because she did well; and is offended by the buyers allegations (and very rude insistence) that she did. She is confident that Brian Gregg, Jack Taylor, and Nesli O?Hare can confirm that she did intend throughout the tournament to buy her half; and confirm that the buyer did know of this intention before the end of the tournament.

#4. All the buyer had to do was politely decline (or even semi-politely; it was his right), and Jeanette would have continued to play her heart out in the remaining matches (again, this did NOT occur before the ?final match? as asserted elsewhere) ? she loves to play, and hates to lose. The issue of buying/selling was NO BIG DEAL, BECAUSE SHE BELIEVED AN AGREEMENT WAS IN PLACE. Unfortunately the buyer behaved unbelievably rudely and boorishly; and she felt that she needed to completely dissociate herself from the situation. She wanted no part of any association with this buyer, and wanted no part of helping to reward him after his extreme discourtesy. When such unpleasantness exists; it is often best for the high-profile athlete to just walk away. She did.

#5. Jeanette does not want to get into any dialogue over such a thing; she only wanted to correct the misapprehensions of many posting here, and to clarify for her fans. Posters are free to believe whomever they want; Nesli O?Hare, Brian Gregg, and Jack Taylor can confirm the true version of events.

P.S. - She specifically wanted me to tell satman that yes she forgot her cue (has done so on multiple occasions; her life is HECTIC), but was still able to be back before the start of the Calcutta and the tournament.
Had to refresh twice......im a slow reader...lol

Everyone makes mistakes, some people get so caught up they forget to pay their table time.....ha ha ha.

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
cincyman said:
Ken and I was having straight Grey Goose at the DCC......we did have umbrellas though.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
The buyer had NO obligation to split; he could have said it and ended it. The manner of his change of mind is the issue.
Jeanette's manner of not having cash in hand until near the end of the tournament is the issue. It gives the appearance that she wanted to ensure that she was going to place high before actually forking over any money. I'm not saying that is definitely what she was doing, but you can certainly see how it gives that appearance and I can't fault the guy for seeing it that way and refusing to give her half at that point. Jeanette knows better than to wait until she is one match out of the hotseat before making a legitimate effort to pay up, and she knows good and well that is how it is going to look so I don't know why she would get so offended.

cincyman

Banned
$TAKE HOR$E said:
Ken and I was having straight Grey Goose at the DCC......we did have umbrellas though.
I bet you did,, thats a cute mental picture.... wheres my Gina cue???

Tell the Indiana folk about the Spaeth memorial in March 14 15 at michaels..