Smorg... AKA Doug

RogerO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Goodbye, my friend (long)

Some of you folks know me, most of you don’t.

I was saddened to read this morning that Doug had passed away. Saddened, but relieved that he is no longer suffering. I spoke with him about a month ago and he was discouraged. I tried to get him to think a little more upbeat and live life to its fullest. Doug’s reply was that he wasn’t living, he was existing. More about that later. I called him again about a week ago. Doug was exhausted; way too tired to talk. I just let him know that I was thinking of him. He thanked me and that was the end of the call. It registered on my cell phone as 00:00, the shortest of calls.

I’ve followed the Doug threads with interest and saw many requests for stories from those who have met Doug. I’m one of the lucky ones. Though we didn’t spend a much time together over the years, we considered each other friends. For me, to be considered a friend of Doug was special.

I knew Doug from my lurking during the early RSB days. He made me laugh with his inimitable wit. In early 1998, there was talk of a gathering of RSB folks in June at Racks in Titusville for meet and greet and tournament during the time of the BCA trade show in Orlando. I followed that thread for some time and finally realized that I would be on vacation in FL at the same time. So, I signed up, mainly to meet Doug. We exchanged several emails, looking forward to the meeting.

I got to Racks about three hours ahead of the tournament and took a table away from the bar and out of the travel paths. People would come and go, having a beer, chatting at the bar and maybe eying some action. All kinds of people; men, women, old, young. I vividly remember some poor soul hobbling in. He looked like he’d been on the wrong end of a train wreck. One arm was in a sling, walking cast on one leg, patch on one eye and struggling to get his walker through the door. I watched this man work his way to the bar and thought, man, he must really need a drink bad. I then returned to banging balls, waiting for Doug and the others to come for the tournament.

After awhile, from across the room at the bar, I heard my name come up in conversation. I didn’t look up, but continued to try and get some practice in. Somewhere along the line, people started coming in. Becky and Jim, former owners of Racks were our hosts, along with their son Paul. There was some meeting and greeting, and after awhile, I started introducing myself. Eventually, I heard, “so you’re Roger. I’ve been looking for you.” It was the poor cripple who introduced himself as Doug, “Smorgassbored.” He was looking for weight.

That scene will forever be burned in my memory. I’ve always taken it that Doug “dressed up” in all that stuff just for me. I’m sure now that this wasn’t the case, that he did it for everybody’s fun, but that’s how he made me feel.

It didn’t end there. During the tournament at one time, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a magnifying glass and with great fanfare, checked to see if two balls were frozen. Later, it was a compass, to check on the direction of the shot. Both times, there were loud calls from his opponent looking for a ruling, “Bob Jewett! Bob Jewett! Can he do that?!” All done with a smile.

Doug’s most memorable moment of the tournament was playing Ray from Puerto Rico. They struggled to hill-hill and Doug called and made the nine on the snap. I left Racks at 2 am feeling tired, happy and fulfilled.

I once asked Doug how he chose the name “Smorgassbored.” There was some relevance to the spelling and particularly with the word “bored” that I forget. But the basic premise was that Doug found the internet to be the ultimate smorgasbord. There are seemingly no limits to what you can find and take your pick of. As anyone who has heard Doug use the term “sammich” knows, he loved to eat, and thus, his nom-de-internet was more than fitting; a triple entendre if you will.

I was able to meet Doug once again a few years later during a business trip to Clearwater. We met up at Planet 9-Ball. We had a great time, eating, drinking and playing pool. When it came time to pay, Doug wouldn’t let me take my wallet out of my pocket. He explained that I was his guest and as such, wouldn’t hear of me even offering to share.

As a side note, I’ve read many kind words directed at Doug’s good friend JoeyA. Most of you have not had the chance to meet Joey either. I have, and I can tell you that all your kind words are justified. Joey is a true gentleman and the bond that he had with Doug was very special and very evident. Joey, I’m sorry for your loss.

When I told my wife this morning that Doug had passed, I also mentioned his lament that he wasn’t living, he was existing. Insightful as she is, my wife immediately said, “if he was continuing to affect people, he was indeed living.” Doug continued to affect his friends and AZ family up to, and I venture to say, though the passing of his mortal life. He will live on in the many memories that we all have of him.

To his wife Barabara, I offer my sincere condolences at you great loss. Thanks for sharing him with us.

Goodbye, my friend.

Roger Orsulak

morinj29

Banned
RIP Doug. You are in a better place. My condolences to his wife and to his entire family.

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Rest In Peace Smorg. On rare and special occasion, we are blessed to meet angels in this life. Smorg you were truly a gift from God and my life was made better by knowning you.

Rufus

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
When peace like a river...

Our friend has gone to his reward, something he was ready for, because he had suffered way too long here. He deserves the peace he has now. I will continue to pray for Barbara, asking for strength as she goes through these trying times. Selfishly I am sad that he is gone, but I am happy he now is in a much better place.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I did not know him, but he must have been a great guy judging from the testimonials on this post. My thoughts and prayers are to his family and many friends.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
R. I. P. Smorgass bored

Doug had asked me not to post anything on the forum for a few days when he passed and it is why I have not posted anything. Doug, Barbara and I spoke yesterday and his condition had continued to worsen.

I'm sure the thread originator didn't know about Doug's request.

The reason is that Doug does not want Barbara inundated with even good intentioned telephone calls at this very difficult time.

R.I.P, my friend.
JoeyA

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
RIP Doug.
My condolences to Barbara and the rest of his family and friends.

AZ will never be the same.

Dave.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doug will be missed greatly on this forum. My thoughts & prayers go out to his family & friends.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your Dad will be missed by all.

Im sorry to have to pass the news on but Yesterday afternoon he left us and went to a better place. I got the call from Barbara his wife around 7pm. We have lost a forum member and a very very great man. Doug will always be remembered by me as my POPS and will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife right now as she moves on and has things to take care of..:(:(:(

Thank you for posting about your dad. People loved him and wanted to know ASAP. My deepest sympathies to all of Doug's family......

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
RIP Doug.

I enjoyed the banter in our exchanges of messages and am disappointed that we never got round to meeting in person. Wherever he is now, laughter mixed in the right measures with common sense will surely follow.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
R.I.P. Smorgie..................

TAP TAP TAP.....

TAP TAP TAp.......

TAP TAP Tap......

TAP TAP tap....

TAP TAp tap....

TAP Tap tap......

TAP tap tap....

TAp tap tap.....

Tap tap tap.....

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know Smorg. But I still would like to offer my sincerest condolences to family and friends. RIP Smorg. This truly a sad day.