The real reason Mike Dechaine withdrew from the World Straight Pool

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Damn, all this talk of "well the seeding does not matter he should have played..."

What about the freaking principle?

What about the fact that a tournament director is putting players into his "own" event for half of the winnings and than manipulating the seeding of the players he is putting in to give them a better chance at cashing?

What about the players that are not being "put in" by Charlie who are in fact paying their own cash to get in, who now have to play in an event with biased seeding and a TD who has a stake in the outcome of the matches and the tournament?

This is brutal.

Forget Mike's chances with the new seed. NOONE should be playing in this crooked event, this is absolutely terrible for pool, it is a fixed event and that is the LAST thing pool needs atm...

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what group he was going to be put in and what group he was going to be moved to? I'm curious to see if Charlie really was making it harder for him.

Celtic

Silver Member
Does anyone know what group he was going to be put in and what group he was going to be moved to? I'm curious to see if Charlie really was making it harder for him.

True, maybe Charlie was trying to make it easier for another one of his horses he still had running for him by pulling Mike out of that group.

The moves all become suspect once you know the TD is backing people into the event and manipulating/changing the draw once the player decides to back himself.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, maybe Charlie was trying to make it easier for another one of his horses he still had running for him by pulling Mike out of that group.

The moves all become suspect once you know the TD is backing people into the event and manipulating/changing the draw once the player decides to back himself.

Who knows? I cant see that one group is going to be that much tougher than another but perhaps he wanted to seperate the guys he was backing and needed to do some maneuvering when things changed.

Celtic

Silver Member
Who knows? I cant see that one group is going to be that much tougher than another but perhaps he wanted to seperate the guys he was backing and needed to do some maneuvering when things changed.

Absolutely. In effect the event went from being a pool tournament to a BS display of CW shuffling cards in an attempt to stack the deck. Any integrity and "sport" is gone at that point.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie responded on fb at length
Apparently mike said he was broke and thought him being s film star was enough leverage to get into tournament

I'll post copy later someone else hasn't by then

Basically both seem has crooked as each other

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Sources say this has hurt his chances for the Mosconi Cup which is ashame. Now I hope Dechaine just wins Turning Stone and the Open

No way this has any bearing on his cup chances.... It's pretty obvious who the crook is.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie responded on fb at length
Apparently mike said he was broke and thought him being s film star was enough leverage to get into tournament

I'll post copy later someone else hasn't by then

Basically both seem has crooked as each other

now its Mikes word vs Charlies word ......... Charlie has a pretty bad track record, just sayin......

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
And some cry "It should be an official World Championship"

As for Mike I don't think he is such a crusader for truth and justice here. More of a party to a business deal that decided to pull out when the goal posts were moved. I don't blame him. He should of kept his mouth shut publicly and handled it among the players. This is the type of publicity that will run off a benefactor quickly. Once again proof that people need to handle their business off of facebook. Judging by the deleted posts all involved figured this out too late.

All that said nothing will happen. Charlie is like some weird teflon covered entity that nothing sticks to. No matter what it just gets ignored and eventually forgotten. Most of all by the players. So if they don't care I don't either. Long live backroom deals, sweetheart set ups and Charlie's seeding system.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Wow...I have been wrong about Mike Dechaine... Kudos to him and boo to everyone giving him crap about withdrawing. Because of crooked nonsense like this stunt by the TD, pool will never be worth a crap. At least as long as people bother to expose things like this, there is a very slight chance it may become better than it is right now.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I commend Mike D for having the integrity to accept CW's buying him in and shuffling around the seeding. Mike admitted he knew he wasn't seeded #3. But Mike sure was ok with CW seeding him #3 and buying him in. What integrity! Now that he withdraws because he didn't get his way Mike is to be commended?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Dragon (CW) is the promoter...is he the TD too? If not who is? This crap has been going on since at least the 1960's. A good and honest TD that has no horse in the race would go a long way right now. For every few sport bars that get a good TD to run and teach the owners how to run a good honest tournament, that would put a big dent in the guys that have been promoting too long. Johnnyt

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole point is, why would his seeding change? That's the whole point.
I understand that. The seeding absolutely shouldn't change.

But his withdrawing doesn't necessarily make Mike a man of integrity, especially based on his own tweet.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As for Mike I don't think he is such a crusader for truth and justice here. More of a party to a business deal that decided to pull out when the goal posts were moved. I don't blame him. He should of kept his mouth shut publicly and handled it among the players. This is the type of publicity that will run off a benefactor quickly. Once again proof that people need to handle their business off of facebook. Judging by the deleted posts all involved figured this out too late.

All that said nothing will happen. Charlie is like some weird teflon covered entity that nothing sticks to. No matter what it just gets ignored and eventually forgotten. Most of all by the players. So if they don't care I don't either. Long live backroom deals, sweetheart set ups and Charlie's seeding system.

I don't know that Mike would have said a word publicly if Charlie wouldn't have bashed him on facebook and other pros started piling on.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The thing that saves Charlie is that the sport doesn't have many options when it comes to professional pool. The pro's don't have a lot of choices when it comes to events. I'm not a big fan of Charlie's (personal experience at one of his tournaments) but he does run events for better or for worse.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I understand that. The seeding absolutely shouldn't change.

But his withdrawing doesn't necessarily make Mike a man of integrity, especially based on his own tweet.

I guess we can agree to disagree. He was told his seeding… for better or worse, he was told he's the 3 seed. Since he got 5th last year and only 3 who placed above him were returning, it's not that unreasonable. Regardless, if that's the seeding he was given, it shouldn't change. Especially when Charlie could no longer benefit from him doing well.

Last edited: