My Day One Recap

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I found most baffling was the choice of balls being used in this worldwide telecast. Specifically I'm referring to their colors. Unless you were in close proximity to the tables it is virtually impossible to discern certain balls unless the camera zooms in tight. The two and five ball as well as three and four are problematic.

I fully understand the value of product placement on a show like this, but fail to comprehend anything that jeopardizes the overall value of the production. Even the live viewing audience struggled to see the layout of the balls after the break. You had to be in the front rows to be able to discern all the balls. Even with giant viewing screens it was nearly impossible to be certain of which balls were which.

I suspect the television audience had the same problem while watching at home, unless you had some super high definition screen. The argument for these balls was that you would get used to them. I never did and neither did anyone else I talked to, including some of the commentators. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future.

One other minor detail I will note is the only food option in the arena area is a small snack bar that served cold sandwiches, hot dogs and hamburgers. I was hungry mid day and opted for what turned out to be a mediocre burger and a bottle of water. I hadn't bothered to check the prices first and was stunned when the cashier said that will be $21.50! Gulp. I allowed myself to be gouged at the Mandalay Bay. The value of this "meal" was barely comparable to a McDonalds quarter pounder and drink, which can be had outside for $7.50. And you get fries with that!

The only other choice is to leave the arena and walk a distance to the also pricey food court outside. I won't be visiting the snack bar again thank you. Once fooled, twice shy.
Yes, premium quality pool balls have maintained basically the same color groups since the beginning of time, and should continue to. If these balls are confusing for us to figure out as avid lifelong pool players, how confusing must these ball colors be for recreational level players, who make up 99+% of all pool players?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, premium quality pool balls have maintained basically the same color groups since the beginning of time, and should continue to. If these balls are confusing for us to figure out as avid lifelong pool players, how confusing must these ball colors be for recreational level players, who make up 99+% of all pool players?

Could choose to have fun with it tomorrow as most
people will have work off.
Shots when the commentators slip up on the 4&5.
Must have been at least 5 times today.