Bergman - Roland Garcia June 22-23 Race to 40

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
The Day 1 match is currently looping if anyone is wanting to see the landslide. ;)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's day one score?

Unfortunately, it was the most lopsided result I ever remember seeing for any single day of a multi-day challenge match.

The score stands at 25 - 2 in Justin's favor.

Justin broke and ran 10 times in 24 breaks (42%). So Roland went to the table in 17 games. He lost 15 of those 17 games, with Justin running out after these mistakes by Roland (in addition to other mistakes prior to these):

• 7 missed shots
    4 fouls (1 on a missed kick, 3 scratches)
    2 safeties (left shots)
    2 kicks (left shots)

Roland has an 800 FargoRate. He finished 2nd in the WPA World 9-Ball Championship 2½ years ago. Yesterday was NOT typical of his play. Let's hope he fully returns to his high-level play this evening.

But it wasn't all due to bad play by Roland. Justin played really well.

Last edited:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Unfortunately, it was the most lopsided result I ever remember seeing for any single day of a multi-day challenge match.

The score stands at 25 - 2 in Justin's favor.

Justin broke and ran 10 times in 24 breaks (42%). So Roland went to the table in 17 games. He lost 15 of those 17 games, with Justin running out after these mistakes by Roland (in addition to other mistakes prior to these):

• 7 missed shots
    4 fouls (1 on a missed kick, 3 scratches)
    2 safeties (left shots)
    2 kicks (left shots)

Roland has an 800 FargoRate. He finished 2nd in the WPA World 9-Ball Championship 2½ years ago. Yesterday was NOT typical of his play. Let's hope he fully returns to his high-level play this evening.

But it wasn't all due to bad play by Roland. Justin played really well.
Ouch...

Thanks for the break down though.

I figured 3/4 to 1.... But 12.5 to 1 is brutal.

stljohnny

Silver Member
It's a big hill to climb for sure - but I've not heard anything about Roland wanting to concede. Besides, wouldn't that be one of the greatest comeback stories ever if he does manage to hit that ultra-high gear and claw his way back into it? :)

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a big hill to climb for sure - but I've not heard anything about Roland wanting to concede. Besides, wouldn't that be one of the greatest comeback stories ever if he does manage to hit that ultra-high gear and claw his way back into it? :)

It’s almost like a free roll. Realistically he needs to win 2 racks to every one of Bergman. If he just mentally breaks things down in his head to races to 10, and wins 10-5, he will win the match. Highly unlikely, but it’s conceivable. 48-24 would win him the match.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s almost like a free roll. Realistically he needs to win 2 racks to every one of Bergman. If he just mentally breaks things down in his head to races to 10, and wins 10-5, he will win the match. Highly unlikely, but it’s conceivable. 48-24 would win him the match.

If we consider them as having equal FargoRates, Bergman (with a 25-2 lead) is now 99.7% likely to win the match (win 25 games before Garcia wins 48).

Edit -- 99.4% if you recognize Garcia's 7-point higher rating (prior to this match).

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
If we consider them as having equal FargoRates, Bergman (with a 25-2 lead) is now 99.7% likely to win the match (win 25 games before Garcia wins 48).

Edit -- 99.4% if you recognize Garcia's 7-point higher rating (prior to this match).

So what's up with Roland's play? Are the tight pockets really making an 800 fargo rate player, play like an APA 7?

Very odd. I would never have guessed someone with that rating could play so poorly. But maybe I'm missing something.

_______

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what's up with Roland's play? Are the tight pockets really making an 800 fargo rate player, play like an APA 7?

Very odd. I would never have guessed someone with that rating could play so poorly. But maybe I'm missing something.

_______
Roland is winning today in games so far

At this point he's up 22-19 in games

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 428

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good to see Roland bounce back so well. He outscored Justin 35-25 on Day 2, to take the final score to 50-37 in Justin's favor.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Good to see Roland bounce back so well. He outscored Justin 35-25 on Day 2, to take the final score to 50-37 in Justin's favor.
I agree, not a bad showing after all. Glad he didnt concede it or throw in the towel or any of that. We must take the good with the bad, fight and claw for every win you can, there are no participation trophies in pool.

stljohnny

Silver Member
4, I think, from Justin on Day 1, 3 from Roland on Day 2... but I'm not 100% on the 4-pack. Haven't slept much in the past couple of days. For sure it's a 3.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone know the highest package run by each player?

Will there be a loop of day 2?

My stream was down for about 20 minutes starting at around 9:45 local time last night. A replay of Day 2 started at about midnight, so I stayed up to see the replay of the games I had missed. Later, when I tuned in to see those games, the replay was no longer available.

I do know that Garcia won 5 games in a row during my down time. I know that the first win was not by B&R, because Bergman broke (Game 62). It is possible, but unlikely, that the other 4 wins (Games 63-66) were all by B&R, which would have been a 4-pack.

Other than that possibility of a 4-pack, the high was a 3-pack for Bergman on Day 1 (Games 16-18) and a 3-pack for Garcia on Day 2 (Games 31-33).

Bergman had a total of 17 B&Rs on 49 breaks, for 35%.

Garcia had a total of 10 B&Rs on the 34 breaks I know about (29%) plus the possibility of up to 4 more on the games when my stream was down.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I hope they have a rematch.
Roland needs to get Diamond tables dialed in.
He's been playing way too long in the Philippines on those Maxima tables with huge corner opening and shallow shelf.