$10,000 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you still plan to post your video? Feel free to enter as many scores and videos as you want. It can be interesting to see how and where people improve over time.

Catch you later,
Dave

I will post that. Just got little work stuff. I also started working out with exam I. Got first 50 points perfect but butchered wagon wheel and got pissed and had only 14 from last one then too. I also did shoot wagon wheel before starting exam I and shot that time 20/20.
That exam I think had 85ish score. Video on Exam I got deleted because had student and my phone memory went full. Anyways gotta try that again. Exam I works even better what I remember, when getting back to shape. It is just mentally draining to try 100 :D after long time no playing.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I took Exam 3 just for starting level check :rolleyes:.
I think i did shot 51 points or 49. Not sure yet. I have to look from video. I did get 0 points couple times even I know those shots really good but now somehow totally butchered them..
Should be easy to get 10-20 points more. Need just practice masse and jump shots :mad:.

I upload my test maybe tomorrow and link it here. I probably put it hidden mode.
Do you still plan to post your video? Feel free to enter as many scores and videos as you want. It can be interesting to see how and where people improve over time.
I will post that. Just got little work stuff. I also started working out with exam I. Got first 50 points perfect but butchered wagon wheel and got pissed and had only 14 from last one then too. I also did shoot wagon wheel before starting exam I and shot that time 20/20.
That exam I think had 85ish score. Video on Exam I got deleted because had student and my phone memory went full. Anyways gotta try that again. Exam I works even better what I remember, when getting back to shape. It is just mentally draining to try 100 :D after long time no playing.
Sounds good. I look forward to seeing how high you can eventually score on both Exam I and Exam III.

100 on Exam I would be really special (and worth up to $5000), but above 95 (worth up to $4000) is more more reachable and would still be very impressive.

Catch you later,
Dave

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my first take on Exam 3. I was not gonna actually post it. Recording was done coz i wanted to watch my mistakes and remember shots so I would do better later.

It ended be 57 after all. If I counted it right from video.:rolleyes:
There are so many 0 shots that i should get 4 or at least 2 any given day that I feel there is a lot of room to improve my score without even practice. With practice i think 80 could be broken.

Also there is some dead time due trying to find jump cue and picking up coffee. I did leave video unedited anyways. I also have all intersections of diamonds marked with pen. My donuts are not white but transparent and clubtable i dont want to glue donuts every time i gonna practice and take them off after..

Link to vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPNY2n0HYE

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is my first take on Exam 3. I was not gonna actually post it. Recording was done coz i wanted to watch my mistakes and remember shots so I would do better later.

There are so many 0 shots that i should get 4 or at least 2 any given day that I feel there is a lot of room to improve my score without even practice. With practice i think 80 could be broken.

Also there is some dead time due trying to find jump cue and picking up coffee. I did leave video unedited anyways. I also have all intersections of diamonds marked with pen. My donuts are not white but transparent and clubtable i dont want to glue donuts every time i gonna practice and take them off after..

Link to vid
Good job! You just replaced me in the 2nd place ($300) spot. And I agree that you can obviously score much higher. I look forward to seeing how high you can go.

FYI, I added your score and video to the BU Challenge site.

Congrats,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Link to vid

Good job! You just replaced me in the 2nd place ($300) spot. And I agree that you can obviously score much higher. I look forward to seeing how high you can go.

FYI, I added your score and video to the BU Challenge site.

Congrats,
Dave
I couldn't stand that you knocked me out of the 2nd spot, so I just posted a 58 to beat you by 1 point! :p :)

I actually probably filmed this before you did, but I didn't get around to posting it until this morning. Here it is:

Dr. Dave - BU Exam III - 58 - 5/15/2020

Even though that was a good improvement over my previous best (52), I was very disappointed because even though I made several of the tough shots, I missed several of the easy ones. I was also disappointed because the 58 matches the current 1st-place score, but there ain't no ties ... you need to beat previous scores. But it looks like you will be able to score much higher anyway. I don't think I have the motivation and ability to score a lot higher; although, I might try while I have the shots well practiced.

Catch you later,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over 60 score today on a
Exam 3. I will be back on topic later. :)
I can't stand the suspense. What was your score, and where is the video? I plan to work hard on Exam III the next two days, and I want to know what I need to beat. ;)

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
We have gotten 23 entries to the $10,000 BU Exam Challenge to date, but only 1 of them is in the Exam III Junior Division (18 and under). If you know of any juniors out there who have a table at home, please encourage them to enter. At this rate, it might not take very much to finish in the money. The advanced shots in Exam III are also fun to practice.

Thanks,
Dave

The Billiard University (BU) just announced a new challenge open through the end of August, 2020. You have a chance to win lots of money in this "virtual" video-based tournament, where there are no travel costs or entry fees ... only prize money! The BU is offering $10,000 total with a possible top prize of $5000. There is an open division for top players and a junior division for younger players. There is also a lottery division, where anybody can win money, regardless of their playing performance. The BU wants everybody to participate and benefit from this challenge, so please help spread the word. Have fun, and good luck winning some cash!

Here's the challenge website:
And here's a video introduction.

I look forward to seeing lots of AZB user participation. I plan to start practicing and posting soon myself.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over 60 score today on a
Exam 3. I will be back on topic later. :)
Do you have a video for this you plan to post?

FYI, there was a scoring error in the original 1st place Exam III entry, so your 57 got promoted from 3rd to 2nd place, and my 58 is now in 1st. But I expect better scores will be posted by you, the person who got bumped down to 3rd, and others who haven't participated yet.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't forget to enter the Exam I lottery division of the $10,000 BU Exam Challenge to get a free chance at $500.

Also, we still have only 1 entry in the Exam III Junior Division (18 and under). If you know any juniors players, please encourage them to enter. The Exam III shots are fun to practice, and there is no cost to enter with a chance to win up to $500.

Thanks,
Dave

The Billiard University (BU) just announced a new challenge open through the end of August, 2020. You have a chance to win lots of money in this "virtual" video-based tournament, where there are no travel costs or entry fees ... only prize money! The BU is offering $10,000 total with a possible top prize of $5000. There is an open division for top players and a junior division for younger players. There is also a lottery division, where anybody can win money, regardless of their playing performance. The BU wants everybody to participate and benefit from this challenge, so please help spread the word. Have fun, and good luck winning some cash!

I look forward to seeing lots of AZB user participation. I plan to start practicing and posting soon myself.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't forget to enter the Exam I lottery division of the $10,000 BU Exam Challenge to get a free chance at $500.

Also, we still have only 1 entry in the Exam III Junior Division (18 and under). If you know any juniors players, please encourage them to enter. The Exam III shots are fun to practice, and there is no cost to enter with a chance to win up to $500.
Still only one junior entry in the Exam III division. Please spread the word to people you know with kids who have an interest in pool. It would be a shame to not pay out all of the $600 being offered ($300 for 1st, $200 for 2nd, $100 for 3rd), with a chance at an additional $500 bonus (for a perfect score of 100). It baffles me that juniors out there aren't jumping at the chance to place in a pool event and win free and easy money.

Concerned and disappointed,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Somebody just posted a 95 in Exam I ... just 1 point away from the top prize category. I suspect he will try to beat that score and take down the top prizes if no dedicated and motivated pros decide to enter.

You can check out his and other videos on the entries page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, female pro Margaret Fefilova from Belarus just entered with a 90 on Exam I. We now have 4 entries in the 90-95 ($2000 split) category of the Exam I Challenge. Here's her video:

Nobody has broken into the top category yet (96-100 with $2500 split, $1000 bonus for 1st, and $1000 bonus for 100), but I suspect it will happen soon.

Enjoy,
Dave

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, Margaret just posted a 96! That is the highest BU Exam I score ever documented!

She just earned a share of the top $2500 pot, with another $1000 if nobody beats her score. And if she can improve to 100, she will win an automatic $2500 and a possible $5000 (if nobody else exceeds 95).

Here's her new video:

Simply awesome!

Enjoy,
Dave

FYI, female pro Margaret Fefilova from Belarus just entered with a 90 on Exam I. We now have 4 entries in the 90-95 ($2000 split) category of the Exam I Challenge. Here's her video:

Nobody has broken into the top category yet (96-100 with $2500 split, $1000 bonus for 1st, and $1000 bonus for 100), but I suspect it will happen soon.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, Margaret just posted a 96! That is the highest BU Exam I score ever documented!

She just earned a share of the top $2500 pot, with another $1000 if nobody beats her score. And if she can improve to 100, she will win an automatic $2500 and a possible $5000 (if nobody else exceeds 95).

Here's her new video:

Simply awesome!

Enjoy,
Dave
If you guys know any pros or other strong players who might do well in a skills test like this, please encourage them to get to work soon. Only the first person to reach 100 receives the $1500 bonus for a perfect score and the $1000 bonus for 1st, along with a share of the $2500 pot for all above 95 (currently only 1).

Please help spread the word,
Dave

PS: In the past, I thought a perfect score of 100 on Exam was nearly impossible, but now I am sure it is inevitable (if a top pro is dedicated and motivated enough to do the work).

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here's her new video:

Simply awesome!

Enjoy,
Dave

I don't think I've ever seen her play before. Here is a video of her taking the viewer through a drill she likes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJ_sEeYRtM

I hope she comes to the US to play in Norfolk or Las Vegas.
To score that high on BU Exam I, she must be very determined, dedicated, focused, goal-oriented, composed, and skilled. I suspect we will see her in big tournaments in the future.

Regards,
Dave

heltok

Registered

Here's her new video:

Simply awesome!

Enjoy,
Dave

Wow that's really impressive. Nicely done Margaret!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here's her new video:

Simply awesome!

Enjoy,
Dave

Wow that's really impressive. Nicely done Margaret!
She told me she will continue to work toward the 100. She said the practice has been good for her game. I hope she gets the perfect score. I will be happy to pay out the $5000.

Good luck Margaret!