All Around Match - Alex vs Dennis - Who Wins?!

Who Wins in an All Around Match?

• Dennis

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Alex

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • I am not sure but I hope John French wears a muzzle

Votes: 14 10.8%

• Total voters

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
So John French made a statement that Dennis Orcollo is the greatest all around player but I have to disagree and say Alex Pagulayan is. French said Dennis banks better, huh? Who wins in that match if they played a true all around with banks, one pocket, 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball, and 14.1?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If the games are 8-ball, 14.1, one pocket, and 9-ball, Darren Appleton might be able to stay with either of these two.

But if it's Alex vs Dennis, I'm picking Dennis.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nothing to find out as Alex has nothing to prove on this front. As much as I love Dennis, he is not out moving Alex in the long run.

LOL, actually not.

Dennis 2014 Master of the Table

Alex 2015 Master for the Table

If either gets it this year it will prove a lot. There is no greater proving ground than the Derby for all around play. We'll see who rises to the challenge.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, actually not.

Dennis 2014 Master of the Table

Alex 2015 Master for the Table

If either gets it this year it will prove a lot. There is no greater proving ground than the Derby for all around play. We'll see who rises to the challenge.

Not at all. Alex has proven himself in pretty much every facet of the game. World champ, titles in 8, 9 & 10 ball. He is considered one of the top 3 1 pocket players in the world. Oh let us not forget his snooker title as well.

So once again Alex has zero to prove.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Not at all. Alex has proven himself in pretty much every facet of the game. World champ, titles in 8, 9 & 10 ball. He is considered one of the top 3 1 pocket players in the world. Oh let us not forget his snooker title as well.

Hence his time spent at the poker and craps tables these days.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Career resumes are similar, and I suspect Dennis has more WPA titles, but the thread is about who'd win an all-around today, and it's fine if you wish to call Alex a slight favorite, but this would be really close.

If and when Alex snaps of the all-around at the Derby, it will speak volumes. Each of them has won in all three primary disciplines at the Derby, but Dennis has also won the Big Foot 10-ball and also the DCC 14.1 event. I don't think Alex has won either of the last two. No other player in the world, to my knowledge, has won all five of these events at the Derby.

Actually, if anything, his snooker performances subtract from Alex's resume.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Career resumes are similar, and I suspect Dennis has more WPA titles, but the thread is about who'd win an all-around today, and it's fine if you wish to call Alex a slight favorite, but this would be really close.

If and when Alex snaps of the all-around at the Derby, it will speak volumes. Each of them has won in all three primary disciplines at the Derby, but Dennis has also won the Big Foot 10-ball and also the DCC 14.1 event. I don't think Alex has won either of the last two. No other player in the world, to my knowledge, has won all five of these events at the Derby.

Actually, if anything, his snooker performances subtract from Alex's resume.

How can winning snooker titles subtract from his resume? You can't be serious in saying that.

The guy has no less than 126 top 10 finishes in recognized pool tournaments.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dennis is one of the best players in the world especially for the cash but Alex has nothing to prove to him or anyone else in the pool world.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Don't get me wrong, I think Dennis is one of the best players in the world especially for the cash but Alex has nothing to prove to him or anyone else in the pool world.

Two of the best ever all-around players. We agree on that. This thread, however, is about who would win an all-around today, and it's very,very close. My pick is Dennis.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Two of the best ever all-around players. We agree on that. This thread, however, is about who would win an all-around today, and it's very,very close. My pick is Dennis.

If an all around comes off lets bet a hundo. :wink:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You haven't explained why Alex's snooker skills detract from his all-ranking. Would you care to?

Gideon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So John French made a statement that Dennis Orcollo is the greatest all around player but I have to disagree and say Alex Pagulayan is.

He actually said "best around player ever".

Gideon

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8b, 9b, 10b Dennis is a lot more consistent than Alex. 1p alex has a slight edge. Dennis is no slouch though. He did win 2 consecutive US. Open 1p titles.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You haven't explained why Alex's snooker skills detract from his all-ranking. Would you care to?

Gideon

In snooker, Alex has demonstrated that he's not world championship class, unable to even earn a spot on the main snooker circuit. England's Mark Gray, in contrast, is in the world's top 70 in snooker, so that is something to be taken seriously as evidence of all-around skill. Obviously, Mark is but a fraction the pool player. Chinese 8-ball runner up Mark Selby is a great snooker player, too. The two Mark's are stars in two different cuesports, but the same cannot logically be said of Alex.