pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Is Shane the best American ever for tournaments and for the cash. Other than
Buddy, Varner, and maybe a couple of others all the other champions seemed
to kind of duck each other except for tournaments. Seems like Shane will tee
it up for the dough with anyone.
jack

Harold Worst didn't duck the champions....and gave some of them weight.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it doesn't seem like he plays it that often but didn't Shane play pretty sporty one hole ( for not really being a one pocket player ) at DCC several times against top 1 hole players?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes rotation

rotation games is what I meant. That's right about Worst ,he played all games
great, for cash and tournaments.I think he was Swedish, I don't know if he was
an American citizen. Also a 3 - C champion
jack

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it doesn't seem like he plays it that often but didn't Shane play pretty sporty one hole ( for not really being a one pocket player ) at DCC several times against top 1 hole players?

Hey now wait just a minute! lol

I don't remember any of the old timers like Buddy, Varner, Sigel, McCready, etc. playing
jam up one-hole either.

To the OP: IMO, SVB has the best work ethic of any U.S. player.

To everyone:

IMO, SVB has just as much "gamble" as anyone who has ever played.
He has already proved himself in matches where he can grind it out and win.

As for tourneys, his competition is as tough--in some cases tougher--than in years
past. Let's be honest, there are more great players in tourneys these days.

SVB HAS to win a world title or two to cement his legacy.
He's been in the top four in a few world championships.
There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to do it eventually.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't remember any of the old timers like Buddy, Varner, Sigel, McCready, etc. playing
jam up one-hole either.

To everyone:

As for tourneys, his competition is as tough--in some cases tougher--than in years

Regardless of what some say, these different games require different strokes. It is quite possible Shane is dedicating himself to rotation right now because he does not want to affect his stroke by messing around with other games too too much.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also....Eddie Taylor ( probably the greatest all around player ever..until Efren ).
Buddy Hall ( in the 70's ) went looking for the best players!
Cole Dixon played everyone he could find.
Jimmy Rempe ( in the 70's & 80's ) ducked no one!
Gamblin was what we did in the 60's & 70's. Tourneys were just to get players together in one place to gamble.
Different game now ( 1 foul crap ). Different mind set. Everybody wants a stake horse. The 'pros' dont want to bet their own. Most of'em think they 'deserve' to get staked because there 'pros'. Its sad.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think I've seen a tournament champion who would bet as high or as frequently as Shane. Currently only Dennis O. can rival Shane for being a great tourney player and gambler. Buddy Hall is close to Shane in that he could (and did) win many tournaments and never backed down from a money game. He was a top money player for nearly his entire life (up until the last few years). Efren and Parica are also noteworthy in that they both won major tournaments and liked to bet high when they could find a game. Parica backed down the world at Rotation games and Efren did likewise in One Pocket. They both had to give up weight to get a game. Nick Varner was pretty fearless as well, but picked his spots when warranted. He didn't go looking for the toughest game he could find. Hopkins was another tournament champ who could and did bet it up on occasion.

In previous generations there were two great players who stood out. Lassiter was a tournament champion who loved big money games and would play anyone at 9-Ball or Straight Pool, and they could bet what they liked. With one exception that is. A man named Harold Worst, who was also a tournament champion, challenged Lassiter and got turned down. Harold loved to gamble high, just like Shane, but rarely could find an opponent. Like Shane he had the respect of the tournament champions and the hustlers.

There have been many other tournament players who gambled for big money, but the above mentioned guys stand out for their success in both arenas.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
rotation games is what I meant. That's right about Worst ,he played all games
great, for cash and tournaments.I think he was Swedish, I don't know if he was
an American citizen. Also a 3 - C champion
jack

Harold Worst was born and raised in Grand Rapids, MI.
He was also a Korean War vet.
He was a boy wonder at billiards, like one of his mentors and admirers, Willie Hoppe.

I asked the Miz if he was as good as they said he was...Miz said "He was BETER."
....as Harold's health was deteriorating, a young Steve Mizerak became his gofer at
tournaments....Steve worshiped him....and I've never heard a bad word about him.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I've seen a tournament champion who would bet as high or as frequently as Shane. Currently only Dennis O. can rival Shane for being a great tourney player and gambler. Buddy Hall is close to Shane in that he could (and did) win many tournaments and never backed down from a money game. He was a top money player for nearly his entire life (up until the last few years). Efren and Parica are also noteworthy in that they both won major tournaments and liked to bet high when they could find a game. Parica backed down the world at Rotation games and Efren did likewise in One Pocket. They both had to give up weight to get a game. Nick Varner was pretty fearless as well, but picked his spots when warranted. He didn't go looking for the toughest game he could find. Hopkins was another tournament champ who could and did bet it up on occasion.

In previous generations there were two great players who stood out. Lassiter was a tournament champion who loved big money games and would play anyone at 9-Ball or Straight Pool, and they could bet what they liked. With one exception that is. A man named Harold Worst, who was also a tournament champion, challenged Lassiter and got turned down. Harold loved to gamble high, just like Shane, but rarely could find an opponent. Like Shane he had the respect of the tournament champions and the hustlers.

There have been many other tournament players who gambled for big money, but the above mentioned guys stand out for their success in both arenas.
Were that staked the same ways as today most players today don't actually play with thier money

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

jam up one-hole either.

To everyone:

On the contrary, all of the above mentioned players did play very good One Pocket. I don't know where you're getting your information but there is not a weak player in the bunch. Sigel, Varner and Buddy won One Pocket tourneys and Keith played all of them even for the cash.

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 of the BEST MONEY players EVER was - MATZ

Too bad he is No longer with us....

Was Jimmy Matz.... (most others ducked him... that is a FACT!!!) He was great at ALL the games... 8-ball, 9-ball, Straight Pool, etc.... just ask some of the old time pros who played him.... Shane Van Boening or Efren Reyes is as close as I know to Jimmy....

The reason most have never heard of him is because he NEVER went pro as there was
too much money NOT being a pro.... just an opinion of someone who knew him, & saw & played with him....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Were that staked the same ways as today most players today don't actually play with thier money

Dennis will bet his own, along with other people, who throw in with him. He has also gotten staked from time to time. Buddy would bet his own unless the bet was too high. Then he would find a stake horse and there were many willing to bet on him. Efren prefers to be staked, especially in big money action. Parica preferred to bet his own so when he won he got to keep 100%.

Lassiter bet his own (usually with his road partner) and got staked from time to time if the bet was very high. Worst bet his own every time. He didn't want a stake horse!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Mike Sigel didn't gamble that much ?
Didn't he take on Efren playing rotation at the Red's and got bbq'd ?
Wade Crane ? Beat Buddy for the cash and was fearless too in his prime afaik.
St. Louis ?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree, but Worst was the kind of player (and gambler) that may only come along once a millenium!..One can only guess what he may have accomplished, had he not died so young!..But, lets embrace Efren, SVB and Alex P., while they are here! ..Any one of them may eventually equal the challenging mark he left on the pool world..Effie may be there already! :yeah:

I agree Dick. I never saw another quite like Worst. I should have mentioned Alex as well. He's a fearless gambler and great tournament player.

Last edited: