Besides Steve Mizerak, did any other us pool pros try snooker?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Mosconi had a few exhibitions against Rex Williams, but those were just exhibitions. I've heard Cowboy Jimmy Moore was a good snooker player but never heard of him playing in big tournaments. Did Harold Worst try his hand at snooker?

I know Corey Deuel and Alex P each won their national championships but aren't those considered amateur level by snooker's standards? How did they do in that invitational?

I guess I'm more curious to know if anyone from Mizerak's time had gone to Europe and tried to play vs the top players then. I think I've heard Sigel had gone over there but realized it was too much of a different game and left it at that.

I can't think of many top pros from today giving it a try. I'm sure SVB has said he has no interest at all to even try it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Mosconi had a few exhibitions against Rex Williams, but those were just exhibitions. I've heard Cowboy Jimmy Moore was a good snooker player but never heard of him playing in big tournaments. Did Harold Worst try his hand at snooker?

I know Corey Deuel and Alex P each won their national championships but aren't those considered amateur level by snooker's standards? How did they do in that invitational?

I guess I'm more curious to know if anyone from Mizerak's time had gone to Europe and tried to play vs the top players then. I think I've heard Sigel had gone over there but realized it was too much of a different game and left it at that.

I can't think of many top pros from today giving it a try. I'm sure SVB has said he has no interest at all to even try it.
To answer your core question, NO. No US players have ever competed at the level of top world snooker pros. They MIGHT win a game every now and then but that's about it. BTW, when Miz tried to qualify for WC's he got beat by fairly low-ranked players 10-1 and 10-0.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jim Rempe was the most successful,,,,he won lots of matches.
His first trip to the world championship, he beat two good players, the second was the
current Scottish pro champ....
...third round he lost to a 17 year old kid....Stephen Hendry.

Jim’s straight pool knowledge came in handy...a lot of the shots apply to both games.

After modest success, he decided it was too late to bring his snooker up to his 14.1.
....like Alex, he tried snooker too late in life.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel recently gave it a try. I'm not really sure how it went or how many events he entered.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His first trip to the world championship, he beat two good players, the second was the

Jim’s straight pool knowledge came in handy...a lot of the shots apply to both games.

After modest success, he decided it was too late to bring his snooker up to his 14.1.

Rempe is the only one I've heard of.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just going by this he didn't too well. https://cuetracker.net/players/jim-...ing,league,invitational,tour-qualifier,6-reds I only checked about 3 seasons of play. He won a few matches. Never beat a top player. With the money they play for now i don't why more don't train for this and give it a shot. Pool pays chicken-feed compared to snooker.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just going by this he didn't too well. https://cuetracker.net/players/jim-...ing,league,invitational,tour-qualifier,6-reds I only checked about 3 seasons of play. He won a few matches. Never beat a top player. With the money they play for now i don't why more don't train for this and give it a shot. Pool pays chicken-feed compared to snooker.

It was his first trip that he lost to Hendry in the third round...he was 39 at the time.
....people were impressed that a pool player could make it to the third round.
...like I said...he started too late...but he did relatively well....
...I think he won his last match against Mario Morra, Johnny’s father.

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the competition and most of the equipment and (probably) coaching are overseas.

But yeah, the pot of gold is there, compared to pool. Goal line probably top 16. I'm sure the guys around 50th struggle like hell, lots of travel expenses. Might be some action, but we all know how brutal that is.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was his first trip that he lost to Hendry in the third round...he was 39 at the time.
....people were impressed that a pool player could make it to the third round.
...like I said...he started too late...but he did relatively well....
...I think he won his last match against Mario Morra, Johnny’s father.
5-9 record is really not too bad for an outsider. He did have one century which is tuff on those tables.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As said earlier Jim Rempe gave it his best shot at Snooker when he was already in his late 30's. He put a 6x12 table in his home and practiced daily for a couple of years. He made it through the qualifying stages and got onto the main tour (in the final 64) but could never get past the round of sixteen (his best finish). Jimmy had been a winner at every other discipline he tried, including winning the English Black Ball championship more than once!

After two solid years of effort Jimmy gave up on this dream, but only after making the best showing of any American player. He told me about his experience later saying, "We have NO chance at this game," meaning all the top American players. He said we would have to have started at age ten to be up to speed with the top English players.

There is one American who I think could have made a dent over there and that's Harold Worst. He was cut from a different cloth than any other pool player I ever met. He excelled at Three Cushion and won a World Championship at age 24! He switched to pool in his late 20's and quickly became one of the best players in the world, winning multiple championships. And he could play Snooker! He played as a boy in Grand Rapids and just needed to rekindle his snooker stroke. He would have been running centuries within months, knowing him. Harold was a wunderkind with a cue!

I saw Harold play Cornbread (who also learned snooker as a young man in Detroit) in the finals of a big snooker championship in Detroit in 1963. This tournament had many of the top Canadian players in it and Harold and Cornbread reached the finals. They both played damn good! I just remember watching them run out with a few red balls remaining (probably running in the 60's and 70's). I think Harold won this match and he also played Red in the 9-Ball and One Pocket finals. Red won only the One Pocket. They were clearly the two best players there.

I went up there with a crew from Wink's Billiards in Dayton, which would be bought years later by Joe Burns and turned into Forest Park Billiards. Pappy Winkler won a bunch of money gambling in Detroit and bought himself a brand new Mustang (1964 model, maybe it cost $2,500 at the most), one of the first I ever saw. I got to drive back with him (just him and me) to Dayton. Wink later made me my first two piece cue, taking a Brunswick house cue and putting a brass joint in it. He charged me $5 for that cue and I made my first score ($80) playing with it. :D

I beat Dan Bell, who owned a poolroom in Fairborn, Ohio for $80 playing for $5 a game 9-Ball. I was 19 years old and thrilled that I could finally play a little. I had to tell you this because it's amazing that I remember it. Crazy huh! Some things that happened back then I've completely forgotten. I've had guys come up to me at tournaments and remind me about a time when we played and what happened in the poolroom that night, and I don't remember any of it. I'd just ask them how much it cost me and laugh, cause usually they would tell me I won afterward. I swear I don't remember it at all except maybe going to or being in that poolroom, or that town. I estimate that I played in over 300 poolrooms between the age of 20 and 27. I was a sick pool nut, looking for a game every day! My M.O. was very simple. I'd get out my map and drive to the next big town, go to a phone booth and find the name and address of the biggest poolroom in town and go there. I'd usually get a game pretty fast and play one of the best players in the room. Most of the time I won a little money (maybe $25-50) and that was it. If no one else asked me to play, I would get back in my car, take out my map and drive to the next town (sometimes I would get steered to another poolroom in the same town). I wasn't really trying to do anything more than survive and play more pool. I was seriously addicted to the game!

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jay, I think Denny Searcy had a chance in Britain,,,,,
...but when he was playing his best, there was no big money in snooker....
...he was better off staying in action.

Ronnie Allen could play 6x12 pretty good....he beat Billy Werbeniuk three times on a 6x12
Gold Crown playing payball...Golden 8-ball in Phoenix .....
...at Joe Burns’ place, Ronnie gave him 3 0n three reds and won...
...Billy got to be # 8 on the pro snooker rankings.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, I think Denny Searcy had a chance in Britain,,,,,
...but when he was playing his best, there was no big money in snooker....
...he was better off staying in action.

Ronnie Allen could play 6x12 pretty good....he beat Billy Werbeniuk three times on a 6x12
Gold Crown playing payball...Golden 8-ball in Phoenix .....
...at Joe Burns’ place, Ronnie gave him 3 0n three reds and won...
...Billy got to be # 8 on the pro snooker rankings.

You're absolutely right. Denny was a freak playing Pay Ball (2-7, all money balls, double on the seven). He could make shots no one else could make. He teamed up with Cliff Thornburn (a future world champ at snooker) and they toured the country together for a couple of years. If Denny could have gotten the best snooker players down on a tough 12' table playing Payball they wouldn't have liked it. :D

I'm not so sure Denny could have won playing fifteen reds though. Ronnie grew up in Oklahoma where they played a lot of Liability on a 10' snooker table (American version) and he became a world beater at that game.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
As said earlier Jim Rempe gave it his best shot at Snooker when he was already in his late 30's. He put a 6x12 table in his home and practiced daily for a couple of years. He made it through the qualifying stages and got onto the main tour (in the final 64) but could never get past the round of sixteen (his best finish). Jimmy had been a winner at every other discipline he tried, including winning the English Black Ball championship more than once!

After two solid years of effort Jimmy gave up on this dream, but only after making the best showing of any American player. He told me about his experience later saying, "We have NO chance at this game," meaning all the top American players. He said we would have to have started at age ten to be up to speed with the top English players.

There is one American who I think could have made a dent over there and that's Harold Worst. He was cut from a different cloth than any other pool player I ever met. He excelled at Three Cushion and won a World Championship at age 24! He switched to pool in his late 20's and quickly became one of the best players in the world, winning multiple championships. And he could play Snooker! He played as a boy in Grand Rapids and just needed to rekindle his snooker stroke. He would have been running centuries within months, knowing him. Harold was a wunderkind with a cue!

I saw Harold play Cornbread (who also learned snooker as a young man in Detroit) in the finals of a big snooker championship in Detroit in 1963. This tournament had many of the top Canadian players in it and Harold and Cornbread reached the finals. They both played damn good! I just remember watching them run out with a few red balls remaining (probably running in the 60's and 70's). I think Harold won this match and he also played Red in the 9-Ball and One Pocket finals. Red won only the One Pocket. They were clearly the two best players there.

I went up there with a crew from Wink's Billiards in Dayton, which would be bought years later by Joe Burns and turned into Forest Park Billiards. Pappy Winkler won a bunch of money gambling in Detroit and bought himself a brand new Mustang (1964 model, maybe it cost $2,500 at the most), one of the first I ever saw. I got to drive back with him (just him and me) to Dayton. Wink later made me my first two piece cue, taking a Brunswick house cue and putting a brass joint in it. He charged me $5 for that cue and I made my first score ($80) playing with it. :D

I beat Dan Bell, who owned a poolroom in Fairborn, Ohio for $80 playing for $5 a game 9-Ball. I was 19 years old and thrilled that I could finally play a little. I had to tell you this because it's amazing that I remember it. Crazy huh! Some things that happened back then I've completely forgotten. I've had guys come up to me at tournaments and remind me about a time when we played and what happened in the poolroom that night, and I don't remember any of it. I'd just ask them how much it cost me and laugh, cause usually they would tell me I won afterward. I swear I don't remember it at all except maybe going to or being in that poolroom, or that town. I estimate that I played in over 300 poolrooms between the age of 20 and 27. I was a sick pool nut, looking for a game every day! My M.O. was very simple. I'd get out my map and drive to the next big town, go to a phone booth and find the name and address of the biggest poolroom in town and go there. I'd usually get a game pretty fast and play one of the best players in the room. Most of the time I won a little money (maybe $25-50) and that was it. If no one else asked me to play, I would get back in my car, take out my map and drive to the next town (sometimes I would get steered to another poolroom in the same town). I wasn't really trying to do anything more than survive and play more pool. I was seriously addicted to the game!

Funny you should say that, Jay. I just had Dave Brainard from CuesDirectly make a 1947 ( he's pretty sure it's 47, anyway. it's definitely late 40s at any rate ) Red Label Brunswick house cue ( with GORGEOUS veneers ) conversion Rambow replica for me and he just mailed it out today. And I had him put a brass joint in it!!! I read what you posted just now and my jaw dropped. Small f'ing world, yes? Yes...

I should get it Tuesday and I'll post photos of it. Dave Brainard is a class act. Patient, professional, helpful, works with the customer on anything and everything and, as I am sure I'm going to see firsthand, makes exceptional cues. And the price FLOORED me!

I haven't hit a ball with a brass-jointed cue since my Rambow in 74. I can't wait to get this thing!

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I knew Rempe seriously pursued the game, but I didn't know he even had that much success. Pretty impressive imo.

For an American to have success they'd have to start extremely young and be born, raised, and trained in the snooker culture playing the game exclusively from the very beginning. That's really not possible unless they moved to the UK as a youngster for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Danny Jones played very serious snooker and knocked over a lot of big hitters.
Left to right: U.J. Puckett, Joe Cosgrove, Railroad John, Junior Goff in front, unknown, and Danny Jones. Around 1963 I think, Macon, Georgia.
View attachment 512642

Nice pic, Low
Danny Jones deserved the name Handsome...even though they say he gave it to himself.
Two time American snooker champion.
Last time I saw him was at a tournament in Memphis...1989....we talked for a while.....
...he’d been to Toronto....won a few hundred on the 6x12s.

Last time I saw Junior Goff, he looked to be close to 80, in between knocking off a few
shortstops, the room cranked the music and he was in the middle of the room dancing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny Jones played very serious snooker and knocked over a lot of big hitters.
Left to right: U.J. Puckett, Joe Cosgrove, Railroad John, Junior Goff in front, unknown, and Danny Jones. Around 1963 I think, Macon, Georgia.
View attachment 512642

I think the guy next to Jones is Roy Gandy, owner of the table company of the same name. UJ was still a big healthy guy back then. According to some other old timers he was also one tough MF'er as well.
P.S. Danny won that snooker tournament. I think the year was 1961, right before I came on the scene :D. In 1961 I was busy playing tennis on my high school team; second doubles my Junior year and second singles my Senior year in 1962. The Hustler pulled me away from tennis and made a pool player out of me.

Last edited:

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think these days no pool pro has a serious chance to establish himself on the main tour and vice versa a top snooker player will not be able to make an impact at a WC or an US open etc.

At the time where Mizerak and Steve Davis played their exhibitions there were more similarities in the games, but now both sports demand specialized skills to succeed. Be it aggressive longpotting and breakbuilding or jumping, breaking and kicking.

That doesn`t mean there is a deference in talent. If SVB would have grown up in London I´m sure he would be a star in snooker nowadays and if Ronnie would be an American...maybe we would have seen even more Earl meltdowns :D