Generation Gap/Millennials/Pool/Sports

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Found this in the sports section today....It makes me Better understand, why a thread can go sideways quickly.

Here's my copy paste;

That’s just the generation they’ve come up in,” Washington said. “They’ve been coddled. They’ve been always directed. They’ve always been told to go over here to the right ... and then take two steps to the left. They don’t get a chance to figure that out for themselves.”

The average age of a major leaguer in 1999 was 28, according to Baseball Reference. In 2009 it was 28.

The number remains 28 in 2019. But this crop of 28year-olds came of age during an era of text messages, YouTube and an education system built around standardized testing, a millennial generation defined as those born between 1981 and 2000 by the Pew Research Center. The difference between the generations can be stark, indicated Ned Yost, the 64-year-old manager of the Kansas City Royals.

Take the cinematic cliche of a skipper berating his team.

“The manager would come in, scream at you, and it was like water off a duck’s back: Who cares?” Yost said. “Now you scream at them, they’re butt-hurt for two weeks.”

Gabrielle Bosche runs a consulting company called the Millennial Solution, which demystifies their behavior in professional settings. In an interview with The Times, she outlined “the three core tenets of millennial motivation”: setting expectations, providing explanations during instruction, and connecting tasks to a larger goal.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorta like boot camp, except no ass-kickin' if you f****d up. Quite a few of those Millennials have and are protecting us. It's not always as cut and dry as a bunch of us old timers seem to think it is :groucho: So...we were the "enlightned" generation? All the stuff we were taught about the world and it's history was true and unbiased? At least this generation has the capabilities to verify what is being fed them.

Found this in the sports section today....It makes me Better understand, why a thread can go sideways quickly.

Here's my copy paste;

That’s just the generation they’ve come up in,” Washington said. “They’ve been coddled. They’ve been always directed. They’ve always been told to go over here to the right ... and then take two steps to the left. They don’t get a chance to figure that out for themselves.”

The average age of a major leaguer in 1999 was 28, according to Baseball Reference. In 2009 it was 28.

The number remains 28 in 2019. But this crop of 28year-olds came of age during an era of text messages, YouTube and an education system built around standardized testing, a millennial generation defined as those born between 1981 and 2000 by the Pew Research Center. The difference between the generations can be stark, indicated Ned Yost, the 64-year-old manager of the Kansas City Royals.

Take the cinematic cliche of a skipper berating his team.

“The manager would come in, scream at you, and it was like water off a duck’s back: Who cares?” Yost said. “Now you scream at them, they’re butt-hurt for two weeks.”

Gabrielle Bosche runs a consulting company called the Millennial Solution, which demystifies their behavior in professional settings. In an interview with The Times, she outlined “the three core tenets of millennial motivation”: setting expectations, providing explanations during instruction, and connecting tasks to a larger goal.

Reactions: CGM

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorta like boot camp, except no ass-kickin' if you f****d up. Quite a few of those Millennials have and are protecting us. It's not always as cut and dry as a bunch of us old timers seem to think it is :groucho: So...we were the "enlightned" generation? All the stuff we were taught about the world and it's history was true and unbiased? At least this generation has the capabilities to verify what is being fed them.

Agree, not nearly as cut and dry as many people may think.
This generation does have the availability to verify what they are being fed more than an "old timer" like me had,but where are they getting verification?
Facebook? Twitter? From their liberal college professor?
If that is the case the crap they were taught is being verified with more crap.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I technically fall on the earliest edge of the millennials generation, but I'm grouped in so I can identify.

In general there is now a bit more complication to life than there was 40 years ago. This is hard to disagree with. The average level of anxiety is higher. It has less to do with how we were raised than you may think. I still had a lovely outside childhood playing street hockey and lighting fire crackers without supervision or micromanaging, just like you did. I didn't really become computerized until my personality was already well established. But I still have feelings of wanting for an easier financial time and more room for life and job security that some would confuse for entitlement. It isnt entitlement, it's trying to live smartly in modern times under stress.

Also, perhaps the millennials who do complain are vocal because, like anyone, haven't yet realized that the solutions to almost anything lie in Gray areas. The black and white areas are emotionally reactive, and get the most discussion. We can find answers to almost anything using the informational tools we now have, but it takes time and research to find the right answers under the surface.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I technically fall on the earliest edge of the millennials generation, but I'm grouped in so I can identify.

In general there is now a bit more complication to life than there was 40 years ago. This is hard to disagree with. The average level of anxiety is higher. It has less to do with how we were raised than you may think. I still had a lovely outside childhood playing street hockey and lighting fire crackers without supervision or micromanaging, just like you did. I didn't really become computerized until my personality was already well established. But I still have feelings of wanting for an easier financial time and more room for life and job security that some would confuse for entitlement. It isnt entitlement, it's trying to live smartly in modern times under stress.

Also, perhaps the millennials who do complain are vocal because, like anyone, haven't yet realized that the solutions to almost anything lie in Gray areas. The black and white areas are emotionally reactive, and get the most discussion. We can find answers to almost anything using the informational tools we now have, but it takes time and research to find the right answers under the surface.

Nice write....I have two daughters 33 and 36....the younger one is more of a millennial than the other, tho one lives in the mtns near Craig CO, doing end of life care (nurse). The other is also married and has a home in Manhattan Beach and works in the financial district.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I am 29 years old so i'm solidly a millennial - and I think I have a good understanding of why we act the way we do.

We inherited the world the older generation gave us, and it's kind of the worst gift we have ever received.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 29 years old so i'm solidly a millennial - and I think I have a good understanding of why we act the way we do.

We inherited the world the older generation gave us, and it's kind of the worst gift we have ever received.

Worst gift??? But you don't have to worry about the DRAFT. That's putting your life on the line.

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read an interesting article a few years back discussing the differences in how current children growing up with smart phones, computers, etc., have a different level of respect for elders than previous generations once held.

Prior to the mid 1990’s, before the personal computer age, kids would look to their teachers, parents, and grandparents to answer their every question about life and how things generally work (e.g. why is the sky blue, etc.). Elders were known as the holders of knowledge and information, and therefore a higher level of trust and respect was given to them. Fast forward now to kids as young as 2 or 3 years old with tablets and smart phones in their grasp to ‘google’ their every question and interest. No longer is there a need to ask elders for perspective and expertise. This paradigm shift has, in part, altered the social foundation between young and old people in general.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read an interesting article a few years back discussing the differences in how current children growing up with smart phones, computers, etc., have a different level of respect for elders than previous generations once held.

Prior to the mid 1990’s, before the personal computer age, kids would look to their teachers, parents, and grandparents to answer their every question about life and how things generally work (e.g. why is the sky blue, etc.). Elders were known as the holders of knowledge and information, and therefore a higher level of trust and respect was given to them. Fast forward now to kids as young as 2 or 3 years old with tablets and smart phones in their grasp to ‘google’ their every question and interest. No longer is there a need to ask elders for perspective and expertise. This paradigm shift has, in part, altered the social foundation between young and old people in general.
Yeah, because every generation of old people hasn't complained about young people, and vice versa.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This concept is really fascinating, thanks for sharing!

How did older generations allow themselves to become so out of touch with technology? An average 15 year old can run laps around an average 50 year old when it comes to technology. Technology is the future and the older generations for some reason just can't keep up. It's shameful.

It's no wonder kids don't respect their elders as much as past generations did. They see their elders as weak and stupid when it comes to technology. And technology makes up most of their lives.

If you can't adapt you get left behind. And if you get left behind you aren't respected by those that surpass you.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Millennials come in all shapes and sizes but this response is so misinformed:

"I am 29 years old so i'm solidly a millennial - and I think I have a good understanding of why we act the way we do.

We inherited the world the older generation gave us, and it's kind of the worst gift we have ever received."

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hahahaha. Possibly the least informed, completely without perspective sentence I've ever read since first logging onto the internet 25 years ago. Well, except for Gore saying that he invented the internet. So the second dumbest thing.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Millennials come in all shapes and sizes but this response is so misinformed:

"I am 29 years old so i'm solidly a millennial - and I think I have a good understanding of why we act the way we do.

We inherited the world the older generation gave us, and it's kind of the worst gift we have ever received."

The guy has a point. Look at what the millennials have been given:

"Jim Crow laws, public lynchings, white flight, Donald Trump, the Vietnam War, the Iraq War (both), the War in Afghanistan, Clarence Thomas, crushing national debt, whistle blower laws, segregated schools, churches that don't focus on god and goodness, student loan debt from soaring university costs, white nationalists with voice, a gutting of the rain forests, a climate that might kill millions, a dependence on oil, less jobs, Van Halen, ugly condos, endangered species, corrupt politicians, the Adkins Diet, Natty Light, Larry Nassar, the Patriots, for-profit ambulance companies, ambulance chasers, tax systems that don't value human beings, the 2008 crash, the war on drugs, the displacement of native peoples, the internment of Japanese Americans, family separations, gender pay gaps, bathroom bills, marriage laws that are devastating, gun deaths via legislation, gun deaths in general, medical and pharmaceutical companies that care about money only, repressed sexuality, the Ford Taurus, private golf courses, charter schools, microwave dinners, chauvinism and misogyny, families of 15 kids, Fox News, finger wagging, lectures about our ungratefulness...."

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So he’s saying that in the past if you acted like an asshole everyone would ignore you, but today they dislike you.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
How did older generations allow themselves to become so out of touch with technology? An average 15 year old can run laps around an average 50 year old when it comes to technology. Technology is the future and the older generations for some reason just can't keep up. It's shameful.

It's no wonder kids don't respect their elders as much as past generations did. They see their elders as weak and stupid when it comes to technology. And technology makes up most of their lives.

If you can't adapt you get left behind. And if you get left behind you aren't respected by those that surpass you.

Cop out. Suggesting that "respect for elders" derives from their grasp of technology, or lack thereof, is, in itself, a perfect example of the problem. It's the kind of comment I would expect to see on Facebook. And I'm in between...

It's comes down to decent parenting and how you're raised.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
[

So he’s saying that in the past if you acted like an asshole everyone would ignore you, but today they dislike you.

To some extent, yes. A good coach knows when to be an "asshole". It's how the player responds and moves forward that defines their maturity.

Placing the blame for their own shortcomings back on the Coach is very millennial.

Try recalling various All-stars in the past who demanded special treatment, and threw a tantrum when they didn't get it. In their own minds, those players were bigger than their teammates, coach, and even the game itself! That's how we're raising millennials. Poor parenting. Lack of respect. Entitled.

..And I'm in the middle!